Achievement "Guides"?

ftmsanchez

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/home/showguide.php?type=Arcade&gameID=116

How does this count as an achievement guide? The author doesn't even give hints on how to get the achievements...

It's not the only one like that, there are several "achievement guides" which in reality are just clarifications of what you must do. Sorry, but I can read, now how about giving a little tips with your guides instead of just restating the obvious?

Haha, I was actually thinking the same thing :) Though I wouldn't phrase it as bluntly.

I dunno about this game cuz I havn't played it but sometimes the achievements are so straight forward (ie King Kong) that an achievement guide doesnt make sense. what people need is a walkthrough and I'm confident a quick search on yahoo or google would yield some ;)

Some games are pretty easy achievement wise and so self explanatory that a guide isn't really needed. I haven't tried Big Bumpin myself so I wasn't sure if it needed more information when we added the guide. I see your point that it's basically just an extension of the achievement description.

If you feel that the game need a more detailed guide and have any suggestions for changes in any guide, you are more than welcome to submit any changes in the submit board. :)

I've seena couple fo achievement Guides that I was very unsatisfied with...

I volunteered to re-do them, but was turned down by everyone, and was told to let it stay.. The game could use hints and other things.... But the guide is basically the achievements Rephrased.... (Moto Gp) I could imagine such a better guide...

I'll be completely honest with you - if I didn't need the achievement guide, I wouldn't be bothered with even reading it. I don't have any achievements for that game (I haven't really taken the time, either, though) and I was just in awe of how horrid the "guide" was.

"If it isn't good enough, do it yourself" is a great theory but in this situation it's something that you probably don't have the skills to be doing yourself if you're reading the guide in the first place.

Yes, it is mean, but sometimes the truth hurts.

This isn't really a "work"... because a "work" would require time being spent on it. All they did was say "Just beat the last tournament." Thanks, but when the achievement description is "Win the last tournament in the game" is that really necessary to waste our time with such a "guide"?

Yes, it is mean, but sometimes the truth hurts.

This isn't really a "work"... because a "work" would require time being spent on it. All they did was say "Just beat the last tournament." Thanks, but when the achievement description is "Win the last tournament in the game" is that really necessary to waste our time with such a "guide"?

Our goal is to have a guide for every game. However, for this game, the guide serves as a better description for each achievement. I mean, I don't know what else you want... if you think you can do a better job, then make it, and we will probably post it. Our community works off proactive roles taken from our members. Routine runs the site, Webb and Minty help content wise, and the staff members each run a little section. Everything else is pretty much directly from our users. Therefore, since we only had 1 guide for Big Bumpin', we put it up. We can always fix it, be more descriptive, and make it better - however, rather then say its not helpful, I would offer advice.

A lot of them are self explantry tho - if you need 5 online wins, you need 5 online wins....

Yes, but some of our truly great guides take it a step further. Instead of saying you need five wins, you should say what bikes to use on what courses, etc. etc.

Now that I know I can correct the guides partially, I'll be checking out that submit button.

I have to say I agree with Manatee... You could take it a step Further...

For the Test Drive Achievement Guide, I couldve just said, Buy Fifty Cars.. Knock Yourself out, But i didnt, I gave a list of the 50 cheapest and gave a tip on how to get the money....

Im not here to pick fights, but I believe that the sites standars are to high for a guide like this...

Totally agreed Maka, indepth info such as that you mentioned on Test Drive can be invaluable, and a great supplement to a guide.

However, in this, which is by far the "friendliest" X360 community I've come across by far, surely we are encouraging all members to make submissions.

I'm all for a bit of constructive feedback/correction, but lambasting someones "work" even if it does seem to state the obvious; might make that user not want to submit anything in the future or leave the site altogether. :eek:

Its pretty simple, as reiterated elsewhere in this thread, if you can think of better advice in which to obtain any of the achievements in any guide, submit them. I think the example of Big Bumpin' is a valid one, however maybe a PM would have been a nicer way of going about it?

Just a thought...

Totally agreed Maka, indepth info such as that you mentioned on Test Drive can be invaluable, and a great supplement to a guide.

However, in this, which is by far the "friendliest" X360 community I've come across by far, surely we are encouraging all members to make submissions.

I'm all for a bit of constructive feedback/correction, but lambasting someones "work" even if it does seem to state the obvious; might make that user not want to submit anything in the future or leave the site altogether. :eek:

Its pretty simple, as reiterated elsewhere in this thread, if you can think of better advice in which to obtain any of the achievements in any guide, submit them. I think the example of Big Bumpin' is a valid one, however maybe a PM would have been a nicer way of going about it?

Just a thought...

I think that's a tad overboard. I wouldn't care if anyone called out my work. They could, I would ask them to message me and how to make it better. That way I can contact Routine and get them credit on the guide. We're a community and we should accept any criticism. Probably out of my 4 guides, some of mine suck but how many other people went the distance to find every single NFL record for Madden 07? Probably zero but I did.

No but granted. It's a little rude though to make a public post slamming someones work, don't ya think? Just my thought.

I agree, if i ever have a problem (or a thread is missing :p ) i go and see Webb. From the sound of it, you wanted to make an achievement guide so you were going to pick the easiest one there was. Then you found out someone else did it, so now your trying to knock his work for your 10 mins of fame.

I think that's a tad overboard. I wouldn't care if anyone called out my work. They could, I would ask them to message me and how to make it better. That way I can contact Routine and get them credit on the guide. We're a community and we should accept any criticism. Probably out of my 4 guides, some of mine suck but how many other people went the distance to find every single NFL record for Madden 07? Probably zero but I did.

You're right we should accept criticism - was just trying to point out that we're all friends here and calling out someones work (seemingly) for the sake of it isn't constructive. I agree though that messaging improvements is a good thing, however, slating something isn't.

Didn't mean to sound harsh :o

You're right we should accept criticism - was just trying to point out that we're all friends here and calling out someones work (seemingly) for the sake of it isn't constructive. I agree though that messaging improvements is a good thing, however, slating something isn't.

Didn't mean to sound harsh :o

It's all good in the hood. I don't think he was trying to be totally rude but meh. I guess we should try harder to produce better achievement guides. If this guy doesn't think the Big Bumpin' guide is great, he should email Routine and ask him to make some changes.