PDA

View Full Version : idea to help members

kaleido42
04-22-2009, 12:55 AM
Ok, I was told that this is the place to submit ideas (and forgive me if it was already given or isnt implemented already, I checked and believe this not to be the case).

My idea is that instead of going to the new posts and sifting through everything there to try to find someone that wants help with something apart from everything that has already been dealt with and people are just posting there because they want to there should be a way of easily finding those people who still have not had their calls for help answered.

A way to do this would be to have a new short little section to the forums where you can view all of the unanswered questions that people may have. This area could just link to the threads that people have made in the regular forums. If a person is making one of these threads and it is a question that they want answered they could label it as such so that a link would automatically be added to this new section. To avoid creating a new area for clutter they could be automatically requested to acknowledge every week or so that the question has not yet been answered to their desire and if they dont do this then it will automatically be removed from the list of questions and just appear as a regular thread. Once the question has been answered then they can choose to remove it before the deadline. This could be an easy way for people to have their questions answered and for people to help other members. Once implemented it could also potentially reduce the work load for the mods.

All of this idea is of course specifically thought of to help members of the site get the help they need.

ps. (for anyone with too much critisicm, I came up with this to help members of the site, not to get myself an award, if thats what I was in for I would have donated $1 by now and acted all in your face about it)

pss. Thanks to any mod/supermod/admin that takes the time to read/think about this. :)

psss. This post has been modified a few times to make it less "confusing" if some of what the other users below does not make sense, that would be why.

jj harvey
04-22-2009, 01:04 AM
To the first part, you can click on "replies" on the bar at the top and change the threads by order of # of posts rather than last posted if that's what you mean.

J O 12 D
04-22-2009, 01:08 AM
Your first idea seems like a brilliant way for people to dig up extremely old threads and like jj harvey mentioned you can sort by replies.

Your second idea is actually okay in my opinion however, people can just post again/edit first post to say that their question has been answered.

kaleido42
04-22-2009, 01:13 AM
towards jjharvey
ok, thanks for that, still think it would be nice if there was an easier way to help people with their questions like in the 2nd point I made, or alternatively going back to point 1, I was thinking more specifically if there was an all mighty 0 post button somewhere that covered all site forums (that werent closed) instead of going through each one. Just an idea anyways, to try to get everyone the help they need. Or even if there was a way for the mods to do this (if there isnt already) so they can deal with it more appropriately, but then again I was thinking more open (mods dont need to get overwhelmed too much)
as for j o 12 d
thanks for the confidence boost, sort of, I was scared that it would not be taken to well, I was mainly thinking that it would be nice for an easy and organized way to do all of this as for the digging up old posts that could be handled by the one idea I mentioned by confirming every week or so that you still have not had it answered and you are still looking for one.

Rugger X
04-22-2009, 01:25 AM
Anybody on this site who is looking to help others is able to go to the forum they want to help on and search for posts with zero replies, unfortunately a lot of posts with 1 reply or more could still use help. If you pressed a button that brought up every single post with zero replies i think that would be a bit much to sift through before you could find someone to help.

kaleido42
04-22-2009, 01:29 AM
again I think the best way to do it would be for a person to submit the thread as a question, for it to remain that way they would have to "renew" it every week, and once answered they could select to have it removed from that list and remain as a normal thread for people who may have the same question to view as they would any other thread.

J O 12 D
04-22-2009, 02:12 AM
I think the option you mentioned of having to "renew" your call for help is a really good idea as like you said it would mean that old posts aren't accidently brought up but it never mind how many posts you should still be able to ask.

kaleido42
04-22-2009, 02:16 AM
ok, i will just edit my original post to make it more clean and better bring out the idea that seems to appeal the most.

EDIT: ok its done, now hopefully it is more refined in case a mod chooses to read it, and to reduce criticism :)

ChrisDeston
04-22-2009, 02:32 AM
But the updated idea seems a smart one.
Especially the renew. Old threads could be knocked off and unresolved threads needn't be bumped.
Good thinking man

kaleido42
04-22-2009, 02:43 AM
thanks but of course they dont need to delete everything (wasnt quite sure if you caught what I was saying or not) just a nice little area where these questions are posted and are only kept on if "renewed"/"acknowledged". oh, and I dont mean that they are posted seperately, the threads would remain in their original forums, they could just also be viewed from here so helpful people could help the people that need helping.(yes I know I have overused the word "help")

edit: of course entire threads could be completely removed if the mods saw fit but that wasnt what I meant with this "idea"

ChrisDeston
04-22-2009, 02:52 AM
Yeahh, I was just thinking convenience of posting when I said the new thread thing, but yeah, keeping them relevant to the game's in their sections would be more efficient I guess...
This could be made really simple really - Just make people use the Thread Icon thing, like my post icon is the !, people with questions should use the ? and once resolved, edit, change to a thumbs up.

Then just have a Sort By Icon thing in the Search New Posts and boom, should be done, right? Or is my trail of thought way out from the base idea...
Deffo needs the renew thing either way.

kaleido42
04-22-2009, 03:02 AM
actually that is quite close to what I was getting at except more of a one click its a question, then for everyone else one click brings up everyone with questions, then one click for question resolved and every week that a question isnt resolved just use one click to keep it up there among the ones that still need answering (just to prevent against the people who do one post and never come back)

Edit: kind of busy right now but if I get time I will do one big revised edit (hopefully before tomorrow)

ChrisDeston
04-22-2009, 03:18 AM
Totally get you now :)

There's only problem with that idea imo, effort to put into action, haha :D
If its set up well and used properly then I think it's a great addition to the site and kudos for the idea. But it's 4:17am and I think I'll have a quick nap before I leave for college in the morning :)

Look forward to re-reading your post :D

kaleido42
04-22-2009, 04:31 AM
ok, I fixed it up hopefully to mod. standards, please let me know if anything else needs improvising, hopefully a mod/supermod/admin will come across this soon and at least think it over.

its 10:30pm here right now so I will be back on tomorrow after school, check back by then or maybe before school quick.

Skepsis93
04-22-2009, 10:09 AM
This is a good idea IMO. The only problem would be if you could actually do this on vBulletin. (I don't know much about these things so I might be wrong). Maybe you should PM Routine/Webb/Minty/Krazie and bring it their attention?

kaleido42
04-22-2009, 12:58 PM
ok, I'll get right on that.

EDIT: I dont really have time right now and I dont see any of those guys/admins online right now so I will pm them if they havent noticed it by the time I get home. Although that will take about 8 hours so if someone could pm minty or webb a link to this thread that would be much appreciated

EDITEDIT: I sent a pm to Minty, it looks like all the mods/supermods/admins are offline right now but hopefully he will notice it when he gets online.

EDITEDITEDIT: as for vbulletin i didnt think it would be too much trouble, just adding a new page with some links to it and if the automated thing isnt possible I'm sure there would always be a lot of volunteers that would be willing to manage that, especially since its not something someone can mess up on like moderating, you would just add the ones that need adding and be extra prompt removing the ones people have requested to be removed. But like I mentioned I dont think it should be that hard to automate it, it would just be like giving normal users the ability to remove their own threads except it would only be from that one forum page.

jamieCR7
04-22-2009, 10:45 PM
Nice one, some great ideas!

kaleido42
04-22-2009, 10:48 PM
This is a good idea IMO. The only problem would be if you could actually do this on vBulletin. (I don't know much about these things so I might be wrong). Maybe you should PM Routine/Webb/Minty/Krazie and bring it their attention?

i didnt think it would be too much trouble, just adding a new page with some links to it and if the automated thing isnt possible I'm sure there would always be a lot of volunteers that would be willing to manage that, especially since its not something someone can mess up on like moderating, you would just add the ones that need adding and be extra prompt removing the ones people have requested to be removed. But like I mentioned I dont think it should be that hard to automate it, it would just be like giving normal users the ability to remove their own threads except it would only be from that one forum page.

I have sent a pm to Minty but no reply yet.

jamie, thanks

kaleido42
04-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Once a mod/supermod/admin sees this I do have another "idea" ready to but I dont want to bother until they notice this one (I did pm minty but I dont think he has been online since then), anyways I'll be checking back regularly but I have to go for a while (maybe pants will find it by then ;))

kaleido42
04-24-2009, 01:58 PM
Since nothing seems to happening here (even though I sent a pm to both Minty and The Pants Party) I decided to go ahead and post my other "idea". I have provided a link to it in this post.

EDIT: I added the link to my signature, the first link is to this page, the second one is the page mentioned in this post.

J O 12 D
04-24-2009, 02:28 PM
I really like this idea, definitely a fan of it.
Would help new members a lot more if they don't quite get the answer they were looking for and since bumping is not really approved then it seems like a brilliant idea to have.

Something i've never understood is why we don't have the ability to lock/delete or both the threads we create.
So say if I posted a question and got it answered and I was happy with the answer people still post random crap in that thread when i'd much rather just lock it myself and it saves time for mods really.

I suggest that btw if it hasn't been suggested already. ;)

InkedUp
04-24-2009, 02:40 PM
This is a great idea. If people want an answer to their question, then they have the responsibility and the means to get it answered. They will be responsible to mark it in a way that it will stand out so it can be answered, the responsibility to update the status if it has/has not been answered, and the responsibility to keep up with it if the answers they got did not satisfy them. I would use this, because if I really needed help it would be up to me to make sure I got the answer that I need, instead of reposting my question if it fell to the bottom of the forum

kaleido42
04-25-2009, 03:16 AM
It is great to see so many positive comments on this. Like I was told to I started off by sending a pm to an admin but got no reply as he hasnt come online. I then proceeded to send it to a super mod. He is online but has not sent me a pm back nor has he posted in this thread. Lastly I sent a pm to another super mod. Same thing happened. There has also not been any not been any mods posting in my other "idea" thread. I do not have any idea as to why. All I know is that I can never seem to come into contact with them. No problem with guide team members though. Only time I have come into contact with a mod was in a thread I made on zits. :p I should also probably note that I have spaced out the pm's I sent to the mods by a few days each. Just hoping something happens soon.

ChrisDeston
04-25-2009, 02:14 PM
Really suprised you haven't been answered yet..
Even a polite "Sorry, good idea, but no." would be nice..
I know they've very busy folk and tbf it's onlybeen half a week but one should've PMd you if theyve been on since...

If they haven't answered by May i'd be concerned.

Something i've never understood is why we don't have the ability to lock/delete or both the threads we create.
So say if I posted a question and got it answered and I was happy with the answer people still post random crap in that thread when i'd much rather just lock it myself and it saves time for mods really.

I suggest that btw if it hasn't been suggested already. ;)

Haha, also a kool idea, I posted a thread to test my sig ages back and was under the impression I could delete it (much like deleting a post).
I had to ask a mod to lock it for me :)
So this could make their job easier?

kaleido42
04-25-2009, 03:16 PM
I realize that too but I have never been replied to by a mod, the oldest sent message to a mod I have is from the second of April this month. Even if he said that he was to busy too deal with me would be nice but to flat out ignore me I found a little rude. Just for the record I dont have a thing against any of the mods on this sight (one of them was actually quite helpful in one of my threads) its just I'm finding myself to be getting a little annoyed. I'll make the point right now that I have not had this problem with people who are not mods but on the guide team, they have been very helpful and have replied to every message I send them and they did it quite promptly.

kaleido42
04-25-2009, 03:18 PM

I think it probably has been suggested but it should be implemented none the less. Only thing is I think you should be able to reopen it if you are the one that closed it. There would be people that would "accidently" hit the close button.

Tron
04-28-2009, 11:14 AM
I realize that too but I have never been replied to by a mod, the oldest sent message to a mod I have is from the second of April this month. Even if he said that he was to busy too deal with me would be nice but to flat out ignore me I found a little rude. Just for the record I dont have a thing against any of the mods on this sight (one of them was actually quite helpful in one of my threads) its just I'm finding myself to be getting a little annoyed. I'll make the point right now that I have not had this problem with people who are not mods but on the guide team, they have been very helpful and have replied to every message I send them and they did it quite promptly.

you sent me a PM at 04-24-2009, 06:03 PM about this. hardly the second of the month... rx has been linked and looking into the viability.

kaleido42
04-28-2009, 09:39 PM
you sent me a PM at 04-24-2009, 06:03 PM about this. hardly the second of the month... rx has been linked and looking into the viability.

sorry, you were the last person I sent a pm to as a last attempt and I wasnt going to send multiple ones and annoy people. thanks for taking the time though. the whole "rx has been linked" thing I dont quite understand (I feel noobish saying that) but the looking into viability sounds good. Thanks again for taking the time.

Shelton
04-29-2009, 08:23 AM
sorry, you were the last person I sent a pm to as a last attempt and I wasnt going to send multiple ones and annoy people. thanks for taking the time though. the whole "rx has been linked" thing I dont quite understand (I feel noobish saying that) but the looking into viability sounds good. Thanks again for taking the time.

I may be wrong, but I believe RX owns the site and does all the coding.

So, the fact that your idea has been passed to him is a very good thing;)

kaleido42
04-29-2009, 01:17 PM
I may be wrong, but I believe RX owns the site and does all the coding.

So, the fact that your idea has been passed to him is a very good thing;)

Wow, thanks Tron.

EDIT: I saw an admin named RoutineX and his home page was "xbox360achievements.org" so I am guessing that is him, just abbreviated. Thanks again Tron and rx.