PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft wants the world to die faster apparently...

D4RKXPOW3R
04-22-2009, 07:55 AM
There is a video on xbox live, called "Xbox 101" and it has Major Nelson giving everyone a great tip on how to save energy on earth day. LEAVE YOUR CONSOL ON FOR 6 HOURS AFTER YOU ARE DONE PLAYING....hahahaha. Thanks Major Nelson.

ApochWeiss
04-22-2009, 08:01 AM
I forgot it Earth Day. YAY! I actually intend to leave my 360 on all freakin' day. Then again I may not even touch it, my electric bill is high enough as it is...

gamerguy69
04-22-2009, 09:58 AM
I just watched that about an hour ago. I thought I had it enabled on my console but apparently not. I just set it.

Anyways, it does seem kind of strange to have that as an Earth Day tip. Better advice would be if you're going to have a "gaming session" with 6 hours of inactivity -- let's just NOT turn it on at all. :p

MrMario2011
04-22-2009, 02:07 PM
I would think they would say "Turn on background downloading so if you're downloading a few files, you can turn off your system and it will still download then completely turn off while you're away."

Yunder
04-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Guess i should go and keep the water running all day today, and keep all my lights on. Take that, Earth!

Bieest Unit
04-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Is there also something like Moon Day? People might understand that wrongfully and moon every person they encounter. Would be hip.

PHIL 421
04-22-2009, 02:19 PM
That's just great P.R. Microsoft will definitely make friends with the tree huggers now...:)

dark lord me
04-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Hmm maybe thats why my screen is in the low power mode :S Strange consitering its my desktop :P Wierd ...

master_shake_350
04-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Isn't Earth Day the 28th of March?

MyAbsolution
04-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Honestly, once you get older and start having to pay for all the electric bills/gas/water.... you pretty much have to treat every day like an earth day.

EpicGinge
04-22-2009, 04:12 PM
Is that what he actually says in the video?

eviltb
04-22-2009, 04:49 PM
I mite leave my 360 on all night so I can do the 5/7day survivor for Dead Rising. Take that, Earth!!!!!!!! *punches*

KwH x Fatality
04-22-2009, 05:12 PM
What is Earth Day? :P What is it something to do with energy?

Rugger X
04-22-2009, 05:16 PM
What is Earth Day? :P What is it something to do with energy?

from wikipedia: Earth Day, celebrated April 22 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_22), is a day designed to inspire awareness and appreciation for the Earth (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earth)'s environment. It was founded by U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaylord_Nelson) as an environmental teach-in in 1970 and is celebrated in many countries every year. This date is Spring in the Northern Hemisphere and Autumn in the Southern Hemisphere.

So its basically a day where we take notice of the fact that we're destroying the environment and then plant a tree to make us all feel better about how much we waste.

Jx NiiTRO
04-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Gaylord Nelson

hahahahaha

Pheonix_Assassin
04-22-2009, 05:22 PM
Yes it is Earth Day today and to be honest not really funny of MS to put that video online =/

NFaMuS one
04-22-2009, 05:32 PM
Hmm...

I haven't watched the video that you speak of, however, if that's what was said, it merely seems like some reverse psychology.

Given that so many people leave their consoles on for whatever reason, he makes it a point to say "hey, leave your console on for 6 hours after playing," to basically make people ask, "why would I wan't to leave my console on for 6 hours after I'm done playing?" Consequently, people would then turn their console off. :drunk

Good game Major Nelson! Good game! lol

gamerguy69
04-22-2009, 06:25 PM
Perhaps the video is aimed at those people who leave their console on and forget about it. My friend was telling how someone on his Friends List would usually show him online but his status was AWAY -- for 17+ hours. :confused:

My friend would also leave his console on overnight because he would usually get the RRoD when he tried to restart it next time. He just recently got a new Arcade unit so that's not an issue anymore.

D4RKXPOW3R
04-23-2009, 01:52 AM
Hmm...

I haven't watched the video that you speak of, however, if that's what was said, it merely seems like some reverse psychology.

Given that so many people leave their consoles on for whatever reason, he makes it a point to say "hey, leave your console on for 6 hours after playing," to basically make people ask, "why would I wan't to leave my console on for 6 hours after I'm done playing?" Consequently, people would then turn their console off. :drunk

Good game Major Nelson! Good game! lol

He doesn't say it the way I said it in my post, I was just summing it up. I put the video on because I was interested to see what Microsoft had as a tip. Major Nelson comes on and is like "Ok I'm here to show you how you can save energy" blah blah, and goes on a step by step process on how to change your settings so that your xbox turns off automatically after 6 hours of Inactivity...At the end, I just had this dumbfounded look on my face, and was like "Are you serious?"...

XxBlueSpade2xX
04-23-2009, 02:07 AM
I left my car running, later I think I'll go club a baby seal...

Kaiyo
04-23-2009, 02:09 AM
I'll be living on the moon and laughing at people on the earth.

Crimson Ridley
04-23-2009, 07:25 AM
Earth Day!? Biggest pile of crap day ever.

This is just for some gay little tree huggers, who have some strange fascination with the Earth.

Me, I don't care, so I'll continue to do my bit to destroy the planet.

I think I'll do exactly what Major Nelson said, except I'll leave mine on for 12 hours...

DTwirler
04-23-2009, 11:14 AM
I think I'll do exactly what Major Nelson said, except I'll leave mine on for 12 hours... You already do that, dear. ;)

Tyger7
04-23-2009, 12:13 PM
I think it should be more like 2 hours instead of 6. There has been plenty of times when I fall asleep playing games. I wake up the next day sometimes 8 hours later and it is still on. So his tip was okay, but 6 I have always thought was a bit much to begin with. The only problem is if you did not save.

The Cripplers
04-24-2009, 06:26 AM
Maybe Major Nelson hates Xbox customer support and wants to overload them with RROD and E74.

kaleido42
04-24-2009, 06:51 AM
I left my car running, later I think I'll go club a baby seal...

While we're at it lets go clear cut our way through south america.

B18A1
04-24-2009, 01:12 PM
he wasn't saying to leave it on 6 hours after you are done playing, he was saying that you don't have to worry about forgetting to shut it off anymore (assuming you are prone to doing so) because you can set it to shut itself off. if you thought he was telling you to leave it on for 6 hours, well, i'll just bite my tongue on this one...

Defcizion
04-24-2009, 07:55 PM
This was actually helpful. I usually play before going to bed and just zone out while playing and wake up 12 hours later with it still on.

stevanov
04-24-2009, 09:07 PM
i had my xbox on the whole day on earth day