PDA

View Full Version : Are games value for money?

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
04-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Recently I have been looking at games and thinking whether many actually offer value for money at 40 each ($60) because I have rarely played a game that offer's me a replay value or a general value of time that makes up the price tag.

Games like The Godfather 2 and other games that are single player only or offer the single player but a poor multiplayer just dont seem to warrant the 40.

Ive found over the past few months only games such as sporting games with online modes, online shooters (COD4/5/ Battlefield etc) really offer value for money due to their multiplayer.

RPG's and JRPG's usually found for 15 offer tons more hours of gameplay in single player and are sold on the cheap.

Previous games like Bioshock etc although fairly short there are things that make the games worth the price tag such as uniqueness, story, replayability but not many games can say they offer this.

I seem to fell that were being overcharged for alot of games and that maybe its about time most games came out at 30 like on previous consoles.

Im fine with games and company's needing money to develop games etc but even though we pay 40 for alot of games that only offer 8 hours gameplay its about time they improved the amount of content etc offered in games to justify the 40.

Edit: Im also someone that feels that achievements offer alot to games and that without them, many would lose the little gameplay time they offer anyway. For example, I used to buy PES for the master league on PS2 but now on the 360 its achievements mean for 'achievement whores' as some would say, doing things like completing the African Nations for achievements adds to the gameplay time and so without achievements games would offer even less value for money.

Another example would be I recently started Tom Clancy's Endwar, quoted at 200+ hours for 1220G completion but the single player campaign has just been completed by myself on Normal in under 5 hours.... If I didnt go for achievements this game probably wouldnt even be worth the 17.99 I paid unless I played through on other difficulties etc.

danowat32
04-22-2009, 01:19 PM
Buy cheap games then, thats what I do, I never buy on release, you only have a wait a month or so for them to be massively discounted.

Yunder
04-22-2009, 01:23 PM
Unless its a game sick game that i know that i will love to play, i never buy on release either.

supadryz
04-22-2009, 01:24 PM
Depends on which games you buy. something like COD is always worth paying full wack for when do you ever see these games drop in price?

alot of games are not worth the money & best waiting a few months for a price drop.

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
04-22-2009, 01:26 PM
I do tend to buy games a few months after release when they go for around half their release price and rent games that I want to play but not waste money on.

For example I rented The Godfather 2 the other day for 5.95 for 7 days and completed it in 10 hours with the full 1000G. It took me 10 hours spread out over 3 days and then at 6 it was probably worth the time it offered lol, nah but games like that are robbing people of 40 who buy them.

Even then alot of games are worth their price tag. The likes of Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia are great games with story etc but they are always around 8 hours long and even at 17.99 arent worth the price tag unless your someone that goes for achievements.

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
04-22-2009, 01:27 PM
Depends on which games you buy. something like COD is always worth paying full wack for when do you ever see these games drop in price?

alot of games are not worth the money & best waiting a few months for a price drop.

Yeah thats what I think, games like COD,Fifa,GoW are probably some of the only titles worth the 40 and thats usually due to their multiplayer.

RagingClue
04-22-2009, 01:32 PM
i rarely buy games for over 20 euro. recently i bought fight night round 3 for 10 euro on amazon and mirrors edge for a tenner as well so if you look around you get cheap games.

master_shake_350
04-22-2009, 02:42 PM
Buy cheap games then, thats what I do, I never buy on release, you only have a wait a month or so for them to be massively discounted.

Thats what I try do but here in the UAE it takes a while for some games to come down and they are usually the good ones.

Some games are really not worth the money.

And to the dude above me nice what you are currently doing. Is it good?

Bieest Unit
04-22-2009, 02:50 PM
I still think Oblivion was my best buy, for 20 euros. Mirror's Edge was 60, GoW2 Limited Edition was 75 and Burst Limit was 50. They all sucked compared to Oblivion. I don't really like multiplayer anyway. Neither do I like time trials or speedruns ..

I'd love another Oblivion'ish game. One where you take hours and hours to complete the single player mode and even more hours to complete all achievements.

EpicGinge
04-22-2009, 04:13 PM
New games are, pre-owned aren't.

gatorbait
04-22-2009, 04:21 PM
I rarely buy games on release. If I do it might be because I got them for my birthday or Christmas and in that case it isn't me buying the game. I figure there are plenty of older games I'll always want to go and play that I missed out on that are cheap now. I just wait it out for a title I want to play to drop in price or get the game cheap on ebay. A few games I've been able to get for a pretty good deal on different websites and by the time I was done with them, I managed to get more money back on than when I bought it.

[Waggly Bean]
04-22-2009, 07:32 PM
Yeah I never understand buying new games on release. I mean, I know it's kind of exciting to have the game as soon as it comes out, but that feeling is not really worth the 20 or so that you'll save by waiting a month or so.

I rarely buy games for more than 20 myself. The only one I did go over with this year is Left 4 Dead, which was 24.99 - when I realised how much it was holding it's price I jumped on it at that small discount. I've recently picked up Sega Superstar Tennis for a fiver and Bioshock for 7.99. It really is worth waiting for the deals usually! :D

carter1412
04-22-2009, 08:20 PM
if you compare games to films they seem to be value for money, a film cost say 10 last 90mins game cost 40 and last about 15 hours, but i think they should make games i little bit cheaper :D

Tunuva
04-22-2009, 08:47 PM
if you compare games to films they seem to be value for money, a film cost say 10 last 90mins game cost 40 and last about 15 hours, but i think they should make games i little bit cheaper :D

I was just about to say something like this. If you want to compare games to other entertainment like movies, games generally give you better value for length of entertainment you get.

RagingClue
04-24-2009, 12:25 PM
I was just about to say something like this. If you want to compare games to other entertainment like movies, games generally give you better value for length of entertainment you get.

very true but what if the game isnt entertaining and its short! back to square one again.
but if you buy a really long game with very good multiplayer thats a good point

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
04-24-2009, 07:45 PM
I see what you mean about the movies etc but games are different in those terms imo.

For me if a game was as good as The Godfather P1 (Film) then maybe they would be worth 40 lol. Comparing films to games doesnt work or compare right for me but I do see where your coming from.

littlemissymoo
05-04-2009, 09:39 PM
Unless I really really want a game I tend to go for second hand ones as they are alot cheaper. Why pay for a brand new game that costs lots but you can get it for less then a tenner secound hand?

Vendetta
05-05-2009, 12:17 AM
Personally from both a gaming and investment standpoint you cannot go wrong with RPGs. They have a devout following even far after their release. They usually have the most replay/play value in terms of length and best of all unlike most other genres they hold their value over time :)

Thegreatest7884
05-05-2009, 03:40 AM
Games like Riddick or Orange Box are always worth the money. You get more for your money. That, or games like Oblivion or Fallout where you can spend upwards of 100 hours on one game.

epik499
05-05-2009, 03:50 AM
I wait to buy games as well, 90% of them are just not worth $60. Plus with the massive amount of auctions on eBay I end up with games dirt cheap, I play them until they're done and if it's a great game I keep it, if I doubt I'll play it/it wasn't that impressive I'll sell it back and not lose much money, if any at all.
I used to go into the game stores and buy 5-10 at a time, but 1/2 the time they have no instruction manual, and the disc is near destroyed (neither is good for resale). So I go into those stores very rarely now a days.

I'll still buy em at retail once in a while. The only thing that hurts with waiting is the online community has such a short attention span that you risk losing out on the multiplayer if you wait too long.

Hysteria89
05-05-2009, 09:28 AM
I never buy games as soon as they come out. I don't have the money for it. :p I think the only exception will be Final Fantasy XIII when it comes out. Lol. If you wait long enough, good deals will eventually pop up.

jason86586
05-05-2009, 09:56 AM
it really depends how much you will enjoy that game. Some games i really enjoy i would pay double the amount for it