PDA

View Full Version : open weight matches?

Jordbrett
04-26-2009, 01:00 PM
I notice a few fighters have the ability to fight in more than one weight class. Do you think that means you can't have a hw vs a lw or just that they will have different stats depending on which weight class you pick like fight night did with Delahoya.

Thelorn
04-26-2009, 02:28 PM
Pretty sure only the fighters that have two weight classes can move up and down.

Jordbrett
04-27-2009, 04:49 AM
I really hope that's not the case. I think a big part of the appeal is match ups you will never see in the octagon.

Inyaface13
04-27-2009, 11:37 AM
Yeah I hope you can do this.

Sean Sherk Vs Lesnar = Dream Match

Sean099
04-27-2009, 03:49 PM
Yeah I hope you can do this.

Sean Sherk Vs Lesnar = Dream Match

That would be retarded, weight classes are there for a reason. The fighters in this game that can fight at two different weight classes is based on the fact that they have actually fought UFC fights in both of those weight classes. Sorry to spoil your dream, but a 155lb guy would get demolished by a 265lb guy regardless of skill in their respective weight classes.

Jordbrett
04-28-2009, 08:33 AM
That would be retarded, weight classes are there for a reason. The fighters in this game that can fight at two different weight classes is based on the fact that they have actually fought UFC fights in both of those weight classes. Sorry to spoil your dream, but a 155lb guy would get demolished by a 265lb guy regardless of skill in their respective weight classes.

Not true Gracie vs Akebono, Minowa vs Butterbean, Minowa vs Giant Silva, Nog vs Sapp. . . The list goes on. Fight night did a great job in showing the big guy vs the little guy.

Thelorn
04-28-2009, 08:49 PM
Not true Gracie vs Akebono, Minowa vs Butterbean, Minowa vs Giant Silva, Nog vs Sapp. . . The list goes on. Fight night did a great job in showing the big guy vs the little guy.

Yeah it happens, but not with top tier fighters. Let's face it, Akebono,Butterbean, and Sapp are pretty much D-C level fighters that japanese fans seem to love for other reasons besides fighting. Hell once butterbean is on his back he can't physical get back to his feet by himself. The more and more the sport grows the less and less you will see it happen in Japan. I don't see any two fighters with equal skill but ones got 100+ lbs happening. Hell look at Randy Couture vs Brock Lesner, randy was out weighed by prob a good 50-60lb and was overall the more techinal better fighter, but size proved to be to much. When you get to the big leagues and everyones a B-A level fighter no guy giving up a huge weight difference it gonna win maybe once or twice every few years. Plus this is a UFC game trying to be realistic, and realisticly UFC has a Athlethic Commminson which sets the rules and no athethic comminson would let a fight go with more then 75-100lb weight difference when both have the same skills. All those mismatched fights took place in the early UFC when it wasn't a legit sport and didn't have rulings or athletic commionson or they took place in Japan which has no athletic commionson or a Indian Reservation. Before it's asked how come Randy and Brock got to fight because it was the heavyweight divison which is 206lb to 265lb. Not to mention the weigh ins are a day before so putting back on 10lbs before a fight isn't odd, it's pretty normal.

Inyaface13
04-29-2009, 05:48 AM

Well the last time I check, This IS a video game and if Master Chief can jump 30+ft in the air, I want my Sherk Vs Lesnar.

I mean yeah in the actual real life sport they have weight classes and rules but dude this is a video game..Just like in Fight Night you can have a Heavyweight fight a Lightweight..I'm not calling Dana and asking him to do it in the actual sport but it wouldn't do any actual damage to the real fighters if I done this in the game..

Plus think of how many "Dream Matches" would be answered.

IMAMEX
04-29-2009, 07:05 PM
Well the last time I check, This IS a video game and if Master Chief can jump 30+ft in the air, I want my Sherk Vs Lesnar.

I mean yeah in the actual real life sport they have weight classes and rules but dude this is a video game..Just like in Fight Night you can have a Heavyweight fight a Lightweight..I'm not calling Dana and asking him to do it in the actual sport but it wouldn't do any actual damage to the real fighters if I done this in the game..

Plus think of how many "Dream Matches" would be answered.

I'm hoping for OW match ups more than anything. It is a video game and you should able to fight anyone regardless of weightclass. Think of it as a handicap setting in 2D fighters. Shit if Miguel Torres, Joe Stevenson & Sean Sherk were whooping ass on fighters 40+ lbs than them for most of their career, why can't we do it in a game?

Inyaface13
04-30-2009, 05:19 AM
I'm hoping for OW match ups more than anything. It is a video game and you should able to fight anyone regardless of weightclass. Think of it as a handicap setting in 2D fighters. Shit if Miguel Torres, Joe Stevenson & Sean Sherk were whooping ass on fighters 40+ lbs than them for most of their career, why can't we do it in a game?

Yeah exactly, I mean everyone who watches UFC has or will think about, Who would win between GSP and Anderson or Evans Vs Anderson. Well now you can do it in the game. I don't see why they wouldn't do that in the game. If they don't I will still buy it but I will be slightly disapointed.

GeezusDylan160
04-30-2009, 05:26 AM
I can't see them doing Open Weight match ups, if you look at the roster they show which fighters can switch to different weight classes since they have a pre-existing history in that weight class.

So in short, Lesnar vs. Sherk....keep dreaming my friend. Maybe next year

Jordbrett
05-09-2009, 09:09 AM
What about the open weight tournament set for the end of the month with jose conseco (yes the baseball player) vs hong man choi, minowa vs sapp and others. There is a desire for it and the ufc really dropped the ball on this by leaving out such a simple feature that so many people want. It's a fn video game why does it have to be realistic?

GeezusDylan160
05-09-2009, 03:34 PM
What about the open weight tournament set for the end of the month with jose conseco (yes the baseball player) vs hong man choi, minowa vs sapp and others. There is a desire for it and the ufc really dropped the ball on this by leaving out such a simple feature that so many people want. It's a fn video game why does it have to be realistic?

I think i've found a good explanation for no open weight fights. One word.......multiplayer. It's so obvious how multiplayer will breakdown. You pick a fighter from 1 of 5 weight classes (Light,Welter,Middle, Light Heavy and Heavy) and you fight someone else in the same weight class. So let's say they just let you pick any fighter with no limits or rules......well then we'd be taking this back to events like UFC 1 and other early UFC events. The sport has grown to much to let a 155er take on a 260er in the octagon. We'd see everyone use Brock Lesnar or Frank Mir becuase they're the bigger (bigger by size I am referring to and not marketibilty(mind you they are both big marketible guys) guys in that game so if I wanted to use BJ Penn in LW (which being completely honest I never do want to do lol) I'd be fighting guys who I'd realistically get destroyed by. If THQ added a sixth weight class to the 5 you can already choose to pick from and that weight class was "open" then it would be fair to do so online because everyone would know the risk they're taking with the possibilty of being matched up with a bigger opponent.

So in short, no open weight matches yet....either that or they're keeping it a secret

Dert McGert
05-09-2009, 08:26 PM
This isn't being made in Japan.

Minowa vs. Zulu/Giant Silva/Cro Cop

st4mp
05-09-2009, 08:37 PM
I'm 90% sure there's OW matches, a video I posted on this forum shows the Italian version of the full game and you have to select your weight class like it shows a character from each weight class and you scroll around and lock in the weight class. Then you both pick your characters. So sorry but no OW matches, but we can always DREAM :)

Thelorn
05-09-2009, 08:56 PM
This isn't being made in Japan.

Minowa vs. Zulu/Giant Silva/Cro Cop

This is correct.

Dert McGert
05-09-2009, 09:39 PM
YouTube - Eric "Butterbean" Esch vs Ikuhisa Minowa

Jordbrett
05-10-2009, 11:30 AM
I wish it was being made in japan. It's frustrating there are no knees to the head and this is just a video game. I can't imagine being a real fighter and not being able to throw knees from north south or stuffing a takedown.