PDA

View Full Version : How do you play this game?

xfatty
04-28-2009, 11:34 PM
I usually have no problem with first person games, I can breeze thru COD, L4D, Gears and Halo on the hardest difficulties, but this game is stumping me on normal. I never played TCoR before, and I just can't seem to get the hang of it. Playing Escape from Butcher Bay first

I keep getting stuck in checkpoints with one square of health and little ammo, and 5 guys bust thru a door and I have to fight them like that. I've managed to get passed it a few times, but it keeps happening and it's getting irritating.

Any general tips for this?

kero
04-28-2009, 11:43 PM
With this game you just dont run around and kill everyone as quick as possible. Doing this will cause you to loose your heath quick and your health is VERY presious in this game (none of this stop and restore your health stuff).
You need to take it slowly, watch your health and do lots of steath attacks (shoot lights out and plan your attacks).
There are plenty of walkthroughs for this game id surgest using one until you know how the game kinda works.

xfatty
04-28-2009, 11:50 PM
Yeah I can do those parts, I get stuck at the parts where the enemies surround you and you have to fight them head on. Mainframe was the first part I got stuck on, where you get the assault rifle

Game is really good tho

sticks117
04-29-2009, 12:04 PM
In the big firefights you can still shoot the lights out and use stealth but if u are gonna gun em down try crouching and leaning out from cover press LB to lean.

Dervius
04-29-2009, 06:42 PM
I usually have no problem with first person games, I can breeze thru COD, L4D, Gears and Halo on the hardest difficulties, but this game is stumping me on normal. I never played TCoR before, and I just can't seem to get the hang of it. Playing Escape from Butcher Bay first

I keep getting stuck in checkpoints with one square of health and little ammo, and 5 guys bust thru a door and I have to fight them like that. I've managed to get passed it a few times, but it keeps happening and it's getting irritating.

Any general tips for this?

Your problem my friend is that you're trying to play TCoR just like COD4 gears and halo. It's a very different kind of shooter, stealth is your best friend for one, there are times where your back is agaisnt the wall and you have to face them head on, just aim for the head, use the lean button alot.

The best tip I can give you is that every time you get to a scenario with enemies look at it, then look at it again, remember Riddick is a 3 dimensional shooter, how could I use that shadow to assassinate that guard? Can I drop down and incapacitate his team mate? Can I snap two necks and kill the last guy with gunfire?

This is not COD4. This is not Gears. This my friend is the nature of Riddick.

P.S This may sound stupid but watch the films, get into the Riddick mood, watch how he is how he moves. You will understand why full on fighting doesn't work then. Honestly it works.

sticks117
04-29-2009, 07:18 PM
I think the way this game plays is quite unique considering that the FPS genre is so crowded these days

Ink129
04-29-2009, 10:52 PM
This game is certainly unique. You just gotta love it. Stalking your prey, planning out your attacks and then striking fast (and furious ;)) is just so cool and works very well in this game.

And when you've figured out the game mechanics and the controls then, when you've first gotten close to your enemy, he should not stand a chance- even if he has spotted you or not. In the dark (and in close combat) is where Riddick shines! :)

xfatty
04-30-2009, 12:10 AM
Your problem my friend is that you're trying to play TCoR just like COD4 gears and halo. It's a very different kind of shooter, stealth is your best friend for one, there are times where your back is agaisnt the wall and you have to face them head on, just aim for the head, use the lean button alot.

The best tip I can give you is that every time you get to a scenario with enemies look at it, then look at it again, remember Riddick is a 3 dimensional shooter, how could I use that shadow to assassinate that guard? Can I drop down and incapacitate his team mate? Can I snap two necks and kill the last guy with gunfire?

This is not COD4. This is not Gears. This my friend is the nature of Riddick.

P.S This may sound stupid but watch the films, get into the Riddick mood, watch how he is how he moves. You will understand why full on fighting doesn't work then. Honestly it works.

Yeah I've gotten the hang of it now, not too hard if you take your time and think about what to do. I'm sure Hard mode will still be a pain

MakoBallistic
04-30-2009, 02:42 AM
Its all about the leaning!!! thats pretty much all i do in a firefight, lean my way out of the situation, also knowing when to just stun someone and run or avoid them entirely helps aswell.

for example i just took on an armoured guard and wasted the majority of my ammo then ran into another because i pulled the wrong switch and then died, second time round i just grenaded the 1st in the face and ran past him whilst he was stunned and then tried the other switch and completely avoided the second armoured guard.

another tip is to always look up! you'd be surprised how many places have vents and hangrails above for you to make a stealthy approach.

INFERNOII
04-30-2009, 02:48 AM
If you run through this game it get's pretty difficult. Try hiding in the shadows, and if you can, always back track to the health machines and refresh.

xfatty
04-30-2009, 09:56 AM
Just beat the game on Normal and no Achievement. Nice

Ink129
04-30-2009, 11:14 PM
Just beat the game on Normal and no Achievement. Nice

Hm, maybe you loaded a checkpoint at some time and chose the easiest difficulty? Because then you won't get the achievement...

True I Skill
05-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Play stealth, Kill as many people as you can. If you get caught run to the closest dark spot you can and hide. Counter attacks are pretty good, Keep ur fists out if u dont have a decent gun, Run up to them as they go to whack you press R Trigger. kills them instantly.

This isnt as fast paced as cod4 and left 4 dead, Its more of a tactical one imo, You have to go slowly watching ur health at all times, checking ur ammo, and figure out who to go for first.

Edit: Also have you changed the dificaulty at any time at all? Even if u have and changed it back after im sure that stops the acheivment. Your alloud to go back to old checkpoints tho, coz i did loads.

DENAz666
05-01-2009, 01:19 AM
Lean is your friend. Make sure you use it religously. Also keep a eye on your health, as once you lose a bar of health then its gone for good, but if you only lose half a bar, you can take cover and let it recharge. So everytime you take a couple of hits, take cover.

Also aim for the head, things drop a lot quicker that way :)

Azazel_Valkyrie
05-02-2009, 09:28 PM
This game is tricky if you play it like any other fps. I love the fact that I can take out 2-3 gaurds with careful timing and my bare hands while they shoot each other trying to get at me and I just grab their guns and point them into their chin and blam!

Really though you need to take your time. If you see a pattern of a gaurd try to hide nearby his walk and then reach out and snap his neck. Or if you can run up on two guards in their face. You really need to perfect the lean and zoom for firefights and if you can perfect the timing to take on an armed opponent with your bare hands then your good money.

Its hard to describe but with your bare hands swing a fist just as your enemy begins their melee attack. You obviously have to be right up close but if you time it right you can force their gun into themself or you can perform a quick kill with a blade.

xfatty
05-03-2009, 11:39 AM
Hm, maybe you loaded a checkpoint at some time and chose the easiest difficulty? Because then you won't get the achievement...

Nope, never changed it. Whatever, I can probably beat it again in one sitting without doing sidequests, the game is actually ridiculously easy once you get the timing for attacks and counters down, and figure out cheap moves (spamming the elbow attack ftw)

norbucso
05-07-2009, 10:42 AM
It's a stealth game, Riddick is the darkness himself. He doesn't stay in the light. The guards can easily kill you. Stay in the dark and make darkness, shoot out the lights. Works for me perfectly. Sneak up behind them and waste them it 's easier to make than say. Hope that helps.