PDA

View Full Version : boycotting this, last boss is insane

Hoborg
05-01-2009, 06:31 AM
I thought it was a fine game from the demo so I wanted to buy it. It got a little bit repetitive and tedious in the end so I decided to quickly wrap things up.

I have all achievements except for one, guess which one? The last boss is nearly impossible to beat and I am a god damn warrior with a battle skill of 90. I can't fucking cast revenant because he has spell resistence. Why did they add spell resist? It does nothing but frusterate and hinder the game flow.

I've decided to let it go and just leave it at 11/12 achievements. I am uninstalling this piece of shit and I am boycotting all future puzzle quest products. I researched one spell that lets me take 3 extra turns, guess what? I dont have the mana capacity (blue) to use it. 10 more hours grinding up gold to bump water? No fucking thanks.

I'll lay it down for you why this game is severely flawed.

1. AI cheats (knows magically which rows to use to gain extra effects)
2. Boss battles are horribly imbalanced
3. Spell resistance drags game flow down and increases irritation and frustration
4. 80-90 % luck, extra frusterating at times
5. Repetitious over time. Got bored quickly with it, now it feels like a chore

Unless someone knows of a glitch or a reliable method (like putting it on easy) I am done with this turd. Game designer rule 1: Don't piss off the gamer: a game is suppose to leave you satisifed with a good balance of challenge and rewarding play. An impossible last boss is always a bad choice of design.

/End rant.

MattyBoosh
05-02-2009, 01:17 PM
I don't see why you've had such a hard time playing the final boss. He's awkward but certainly do-able after about 5 or 6 goes. He's certainly not "impossible" as you put it because there's literally thousands of people who have done it.

My suggestion is to mix and match your skills - remember brute force isn't everything. You say your battle skill is at 90. Mine was far less than that and had little trouble defeating the final boss.

The game is excellent and it doesn't become shit because you can't do it. If you give up on a game simply because you can't do it, I suggest you pack in playing video games and pick another hobby.

Hoborg
05-03-2009, 03:34 AM
Don't talk to me about hard games. I've maxed up 1000g on Cod4. This shit is silly though. If you google it, other people have had the same problem and the fact that he has 300 some hp and I only 190 it's not really doable.

sweenish182
05-04-2009, 03:49 AM
i did it.

and it wasn't that tough. a few tries, but not tough. whereas that effing mile high club was 5 hours and me nearly throwing my controller into the tv with no dice. i still don't have it, but i don't complain that the game sucks.

Black Shirah
05-04-2009, 08:30 AM
I hit 250/250 on this game, so it's definitely doable...

CKresAIX
05-04-2009, 10:20 AM
@ Hoborg

You shouldn't rant about the game being too hard/shitty if you clearly haven't figured out the game mechanics.

From what you write I take it you have a Knight or a Warrior class (Battle skill of 90). Of course Knights are very good at using the skulls on the board and mostly have a high Moral or Battle skill and less skills in Air / Water / Earth / Fire skills. That would imply that you play them accordingly, using the gems and skulls on the board and only occasionally using spells as a support. The spell you researched costs 45 blue mana and 10 yellow (or something like that). This spell is clearly "meant" for a spellcasting class like a wizard or warlock or such. So I don't really know why you complain about the game being shitty when clearly you are using your class in the wrong manner. What you should be doing is focusing on the skulls on the board to deal damage. Use equipment that enhances your damage output or otherwise harms your opponent whenever you deal damage. I have a warlock and did beat the end boss twice, once on hard and once on normal. Both times I had to change my tactics. I'm a warlock and rely on spells which didn't do me any good in the end fight because of Bane's high spell resistance. So I switched my items and used items I had forged myself. So in the end, whenever I matched 3 normal skulls together I would do 24 points of damage and had a 40% chance of inflicting disease and poison on Bane for 4 turns. And one of my items gave me back one life point at the beginning of each round for every disease I inflicted on Bane. So you see, even though I had a spellcaster class, for the end boss I didn't cast spells but used the board to beat him and gained life points while doing it. That's only one strategy. The other is to equip as many and as powerfull items as you can that prohibit him from casting spells (raising your spell resistance for every spell cast). That way I managed to keep him at bay long enough to finish him of with skulls. So you see, it's not that hard. As long as you are flexible and think before acting the game can be beat easily, even on hard dificulty. Oh, and by the way, Band had twice as much health points than me.

So I guess what I'm saying is that before saying this game is shitty and scaring other people away from this really great game you probably should have used your brains to come here and ask for help and advice instead of your rant.

I do agree with you though that there is luck involved in each of the fights, but not enough to "unbalance" the game. And on a second note, most games have a certain repetitiveness to them, doesn't matter if it's a shooter, a platformer, a racing game, sports game or puzzle quest.

Cheers, Chris

Urban Myth
05-10-2009, 12:07 PM
I'm about 3/4 of the way throught this and so far I love it. I have actually reached the final boss. My overall rank is 38 right now so I didn't expect to do alot my first go against him. I tried anyway. It was soo close. I had 22 hp left and I had him at 45. Then he nails this very lucky chain that wipes me out.

This guy is not that bad. I am going to do side quest and level up alittle more than go back and take that fruit loop out.

It sound to me like you have no patience. Like you just main quested your way through and expected to just beat him on the first try. Go use your head and quit whining about spell resist. When I matched him. He only resisted 3 times. I just kept pummeling him every chance I had. I am a warrior, so I like to use the very simple axe throw. They stop it on occasion. Not that much though. With 10+ skulls on the board, it doles out a nice 15+ with modifiers sometime 25+ damage. Almost too easy really.

sweenish182
05-13-2009, 08:06 PM
it helps that you can siege four or five cities in a tight cluster, and just collect off of them for twenty minutes, and then train skills at your citadel.

i typically do 9 damage off three skulls, with a chance for 19 or something. and ~250 HP. i just wasted an expansion boss in no time. probably going to try and wrap it up tonight.

DemoniChris
05-18-2009, 05:37 AM
shoulda rolled druid

ConfederateSuga
05-26-2009, 06:23 AM
As someone who has played every class to Level 50+, I can honestly say you picked the only broken class. I'm not sure wtf the developers were thinking when they thought up the Warrior skills, but they really messed it up. If you've got the nerve to play the game over again, play as a Knight or Necromancer. Not sure if you have the expansion or not, but Necromancer is my personal favorite class.

Also, try changing the game's difficulty to Easy for the purpose of this achievement. Yes, Lord Bane has 300+HP, but he's far easier than Dugog for most people.

ConfederateSuga
05-26-2009, 06:26 AM
Also, try experimenting with Godlike items. I crafted an item that adds +6DMG whenever I do +6DMG. Match that with the Ultimate Troll Ring, which gives you +3HP each turn aslong as your Blue Mana is 12 or higher, and you should be fine.

FOX-Inc.
06-04-2009, 01:11 AM
I just finished the game, by beating Bane on the first go! It definitely helps if you've done all the side quests before confronting him and even then it's also a matter of luck if you make it or not, since it's always gonna be tight I think. I ended up with only 12 hitpoints left, he's very keen on blocking any regeneration spells you might have.

Oh well, on with the DLC then :)

Ry Fryy
06-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Bane is a fucking joke. It's not so much that he is hard as it is the game blatantly cheats. You can carefully plan on each move as strategically as you want but it means nothing when the gem/skull drops are perfect for your opponent. I've had a completely harmless looking board nearly kill me when three skulls drop together, and gives your opponent another turn and then drops three more skulls (one being a +5) and suddenly you are out 50+ health from nowhere. Sure, I've had my fair share of lucky drops but nowhere even remotely as often as the computer does, Bane specifically. I don't want to rain on anyone's parade or disrespect them but those that had no problem with Bane were probably a.) incredibly lucky and/or b.) playing on easy.

He's the end boss for a reason, he's tough. But also a cheating bastard.

Xbob
07-06-2009, 10:36 AM
lol i beat this boss in 1 go! and i was not even level 50... you´re just a lame ass noob gamer that does not know how to play a game properly...

ive got 175 hp and i kicked his ass. play as a thief, get the items that hide you on a 4 gem break and that give you double damage while hidden. it owns and makes the game easy!

captain host
09-12-2009, 03:42 AM

1. AI cheats (knows magically which rows to use to gain extra effects)

i got the game yesterday and this part piss me real bad.

i tought i would take a break of last remnant godawful bs AI but man, i had a surprise :p

Facial La Fleur
09-12-2009, 05:34 AM
You're overreacting a bit I'd say. It certainly can be challenging but it's not impossible. If it were impossible then the only people who would have the achievement would be the game savers. I can think of many games much harder than this. Try clearing all the pegs on every level on Peggle then talk to me about frustration. :)

odionthemesiah
09-14-2009, 01:29 AM
Don't talk to me about hard games. I've maxed up 1000g on Cod4.

lol maxed out cod 4 u make urself soung like ur amazing lol

Cringer85
09-15-2009, 05:09 AM
If you have done all sidequests and all companions, it should be easy as pie. I did it on my first try without effort. Just get yourself a murder combo (I myself am using: Druid on Giant Spider lvl9, Spells: Gemberry, Calm, Lightning Storm, Reincarnation, Cleansing, Berserk Rage - with items: Collar of Plague, Jarl's Cloak, Edge of Poison and Reflector of Wind). Just do one Web spell, stun the opponent for 5 turns, turn all gems into color gems and all red into skulls). I defeated him this way in my fourth turn and never lost a match on medium. Good luck! :)

Temjin
09-16-2009, 12:06 PM
A few words from Steve Fawkner, Infinity Interactive programmer:

"Hi All,

I can definitely state that the AI in NO way cheats, nor does it know what gems are going to fall. I wrote the AI code myself, so I am 100% certain of this.

Look at it another way...
a) I am a programmer, so I'm basically lazy
b) Writing a cheating AI with look-ahead & multiple board evaluations is a LOT more work than writing a non-cheating AI that merely evaluates a single board
c) If I wanted to make the game harder, I actually would have done the LAZY thing and just given the monsters more Life Points

Cheers

-Steve"

JiveT
09-18-2009, 01:18 AM
Game is weird I will go tons of battles without losing then run into something stupid like a wolf rider and get my ass handed to me three times straight

turismo4873
09-19-2009, 06:13 PM
I'm either very very lucky, or just rule at this game. Attempts to forge a godlike item -1 - lord bane - 1. Wasnt even level 50 when I fought him, hadnt learnt any additional spells using my druid. Maybe its a case of choosing the right class at the start?? Really enjoyed the game though and will have another playthrough with other class characters. For those reading the forums about the insane difficulty - forget that and have a go!

x KrazieNoob x
09-20-2009, 12:53 AM
Well, I beat this easy! I was a wizard and I was lvl 47 when I owned Bane. I only had 170 life too. I also only did 3 dmg with skulls... I guess I got lucky though, he wasn't really resisting my breath fire spell or regeneration spell. But woo! I'm glad hes done and over with.

ThrustfulSteve
09-20-2009, 06:28 PM
i beat him on 2nd attempt at level 37

forging a godlike item is much harder

eaBeLoVeD
09-21-2009, 02:50 PM
I got this achievement with my level 34 wizard in my 2nd try.

Plaguewielder
10-07-2009, 02:41 AM
Game is weird I will go tons of battles without losing then run into something stupid like a wolf rider and get my ass handed to me three times straight

Ugh, story of my life.

Pwn Mechataur into oblivion, then get fucking annihilated by an orc on the way back to a city.

Professor Silly
10-07-2009, 05:37 AM
Beat Bane with a level 40 wizard.

Because Bane's spells clear the board of one color, I grabbed what mana I could, and then looked for the best time to cast one of my better spells: fireball, flaming skulls, or finger of death. With flaming skulls, I made sure there'd be a four-of-a-kind--either of skulls or red mana--so I could mop up all the skull combinations before his turn.

I haven't tried it with any other classes...maybe wizards have it easy with this boss. Dugog, on the other hand, took me *forever*!

ViRaLuNdEaD
10-07-2009, 12:50 PM
I defeated him last night after about two hours of trying. He's definitely a tad unbalanced at times, but not impossible. In just about every match he would waste over half my HP in the first 3-4 rounds, simply because he would go on these long strings of 4 of a kind, skulls, and spells, that I had no way of stopping. In the end I took him down by using items that gave me extra turns when I did damage, the best troll ring to heal me every turn, and spells that made him lose turns.

lunatic core
10-12-2009, 12:59 PM
Beat him with my warrior.

zyxomma100
10-12-2009, 11:46 PM
I just beat him. I had to lower it to easy, which apparently only means that the AI misses a 4 of a kind every now and then.

It's broken, and there's no way around it. It took me until my third try to get a turn. Yep, my Level 50 Knight died twice to him without getting a chance to look at the board. I got luckier the next three times, actually getting a couple of turns in before getting swamped by his ability to get an extra turn 50% of the time he matches 3 gems.

I just dropped it to easy and I beat him with 150 HP left. It was a joke, along with the rest of the game on normal, which only made this boss all the more perplexing.

BelatedHero
10-13-2009, 07:15 PM
I'm having a little trouble with him myself. It seems strange but I'm finding the game to be the opposite of what everyone says. I had no trouble with Dugog (didn't lose on either character), my godlike item only took 3 tries. But my normal attack strategy doesn't work well on Bane.

I'm a wizard and my normal attack pattern is Light. Flame Bolt, Flame Bolt, Flame Bolt, Flame Bolt, repeat. I have gear that allows me to never run out of mana doing this combo (so unless there is a mana drain I never have to make combos again), and the light spell stops most things that would interrupt the pattern. Each of my bolts does about 15 damage so once it starts, the enemy goes down quickly.

But, my strategy requires me to spend about 10 rounds gathering mana before beginning, by then Bane has around 30% resist and I'm nearly dead. Any tips out there?

Edit: I finally got him. I loaded up on equipment I forged that did +damage and poison. Constantly having 4 poison hits every turn on him helped tremendously. Then I used the sandworm mount (instead of rat that I was using before) for two hits of Swallow Whole once his green bar was filled. Killed him on normal difficulty. Much easier once I changed tactics.

eynotie
10-21-2009, 04:13 AM
Beat him on my fourth try on Normal. The first two tries were jokes. I barely had him below 250 HP by the time he killed me. Luck definitely played into it a bit. Close call when I did beat him. I was at 30 or so HP and he was at 70 and things fell for me but not him 3 turns in a row after that. My palms were sweating a bit at the end.

dynamik123
10-23-2009, 12:18 AM
I really don't see how this guy is hard. I just beat him as a level 40 warrior in 2 tries. First time he raped me, second time he only took half my health away the whole time. If anyone is stuck, there are a few things you can try. First, get the spell Death Gaze (kills half HP) and Stun or some other turn-missing spell. I know his resistance is pretty high, so if you use the Death Gaze strat, just try and get enough runes to cast it, try, then if it fails restart. Personally, I didn't even use Death Gaze at all. All I did was use common sense and logic to set up good combos for myself and try and force him into uncomfortable positions (like where he has to set up a skull combo for me). Never do quick turns, always make sure you look over the board and make sure your move is perfect. If he has you trapped where a move would make you get hit, do an illegal move as -5 is a lot better than -15 or more. Try and take control of the game, and as for spells, put yourself in a position where you can try a stun, and if it works, you get something good (hit, 4-5 in a row, etc.), but if it doesn't, nothing bad happens. Also, avoid doing combos where good luck could give him a combo (ie. do a normal combo next to a 2 skull set up, where one could drop and finish it), as he has the "luck" on his side. Don't be afraid to waste a few turns with useless spells or even illegal moves if you see an attack coming. One more thing, his spells can hurt you, so try to think what would happen if all of each type of gem was destroyed, and try to stop those potential 4-in-a-rows. Really, this game is easy, all you need to do is be smart and think ahead.

Sorry for the wall of text.

xFortyseven
10-29-2009, 04:33 PM
And if everything else fails; just change the difficulty to easy.

SebastianSB
05-15-2010, 05:23 AM
I beat the final boss on my first try...he's hardly tough. Sure he has a ton of HP but he has NO offensive spells. Just focus on getting to the skulls before he does and then he has no ways of damaging you.

Beat him as a level 35 knight.

Anyway you can't boycott a game you already bought.

Kid Vranic
06-21-2010, 12:36 PM
tbh, it is harder to get the warlord achievement (the online one) then this boss. It took me a couple of tries but mainly because I wanted too much too quick hehe. Anyway, not hijacking but I still need the last online one ;)

andygazi
07-27-2010, 12:45 AM
I had trouble with him for so long. But with alot of games, I just took a break and today I was determined to get a few achievements on older games I forgot about.

Took 2 tries and I beat Bane. It can be done.

XperimntNterror
11-22-2010, 06:03 PM
i destroyed him with Berserk Rage (turns all red gems to skulls) on my first attempt using a warrior class at level 35. he was ridiculously easy thanks to that spell.

Odi
12-09-2010, 02:27 AM
I've never understood why people will complain that a game is "broken" when they don't win.

evel ways
01-10-2011, 08:51 AM
I had a wizard and the bastard resisted most spells but I finally got his ass! Its not easy by no means but do able! Dont hate cause you cant beat him try try try again he will fall!

Megadumbss
12-20-2012, 02:21 PM
Considering i beat this game twice on the ds before getting an xbox, im gonna have to say it doesn't induce rage nearly as much as playing any COD's multiplayer does.

EloyOn
04-08-2013, 04:29 PM
For me Dugog (7+ tries) was far tougher than Bane (beat him in my 4th try). The reason is that when I got to fight Dugog, it was the very start of the game and my character didn't have good weapons/abilities yet. On the other hand, against Bane:

The first two tries I noticed that the tome of plague (the item that drops the Plague Lord once you defeat him, you know, from the DLC) was no good against him (at least for me), so I unequipped it and equipped the two godlike weapons I crafted:
- a sword that adds 6DMG whenever I do +6DMG and has a 40% of causing venom.
- a shield that throws back 4DMG whenever they do me +6DMG and has another 40% of causing venom.

Didn't even bother to change my third item, that was +2 experience whenever the AI do me +3DMG or something like that.

By the way I play as a lvl 57 Rogue (done all the quests and sub-quests with +experience/+money enhancements). Anyways Bane also was a lvl 57 character (guess he always matches your lvl) with the double of life I had.

PD: I had a lot of fun with this game, but that said, I must admit that it really was a bit too long and repetitive for my taste (too many sub-missions).