PDA

View Full Version : Achievement Guide of The Month Award

antnie
05-08-2009, 12:59 PM
I was think that we should have an award for achievement guide of the month. Thoughts.

Paddyboss
05-08-2009, 05:10 PM
Yeah good idea id vote for Street Fighter IV

Steve50013
05-08-2009, 05:17 PM
You already got an award for making guides...

B T E R
05-08-2009, 06:24 PM
maybe, but more games get released in the fall than the rest of the year, so competition would be hard on those months

antnie
05-08-2009, 07:56 PM
maybe, but more games get released in the fall than the rest of the year, so competition would be hard on those months The competition is the point. Tht way people will be motivated to make better guides. Not saying they are bad.

Cacky
05-08-2009, 09:21 PM
I like the idea, it would encourage members to write even better guides...if it's possible. :p

dakisbac
05-09-2009, 03:07 PM
Some of the guides on this site are lacking I'll say, so if it takes an award to motivate people to write a guide 110% then go for it.

Jappe XBA
05-09-2009, 08:13 PM
Awaaaaaaaaaard!

antnie
05-09-2009, 09:17 PM
Lets see if we could get a mod to look at this, and see if it gets implemented.

Der Fuhrer
05-09-2009, 10:35 PM
I know some games look like someone spent 5 minutes writing them so this would be a good idea. Maybe it will also come with a main page article like Member of the Month.

Ingles
05-09-2009, 11:53 PM
I like this idea. There is already awards for writing guides for the site but like some have said, maybe this will help increase some of the quality of the guides. Especially if there was an award or a free month membership or something tied to it.

antnie
05-10-2009, 12:59 AM
Sounds like people are thinking this is a good idea. I was also thinking something along that goes along with the award, a stamp on the guide. So like when you are on the home page and you click guides and lets say Gears of War 2 guide was a winner, once you click on the game it would have a stamp, somewhat like a editor's choice thing.

kaleido42
05-10-2009, 01:28 AM
I like this idea. There is already awards for writing guides for the site but like some have said, maybe this will help increase some of the quality of the guides. Especially if there was an award or a free month membership or something tied to it.

I think a cheap points card would be nicer, but that works also.

Der Fuhrer
05-10-2009, 01:33 AM
Their are not point or gold membership rewards for any other award so why this one? It would be to expensive for the site to give out $10-$20 a month.

kaleido42
05-10-2009, 01:35 AM
Their are not point or gold membership rewards for any other award so why this one? It would be to expensive for the site to give out $10-$20 a month.

Just an idea, doesn't have to take effect. Besides if they got it sponsored or something then they wouldn't have to pay, you know, like all the regular contests they have. Treat it like one of those except skill based.

Der Fuhrer
05-10-2009, 01:40 AM
One other problem I see with this is that selection might be subjective even unintentionally. If the person who was picking the winner had a friend write a good guide and someone they do not know write a good guide then they will probably choose their friend.

antnie
05-10-2009, 02:29 AM
The guide winner gets chosen the same way the MoM gets picked. It is not friend based.

Ingles
05-10-2009, 09:46 AM

First, there is an Edit button to prevent double posting. Big no no there.

And second, I was thinking outside the box. Have you never had a 30 day trial or 7 day trial of something that made you want to purchase or become a member? I guess I was thinking in terms of new members. Shame on me. Like I said... just thinking a little outside the box.

The guide winner gets chosen the same way the MoM gets picked. It is not friend based.

I think you meant to say "...would be chosen the same way the MoM gets picked." I've had ideas I loved so much that I saw them come to life in my mind. Nothing is official but no wrong is being ambitious! ;) We'll just have to wait for a mod or an admin to throw their perspective on the matter.

Der Fuhrer
05-10-2009, 02:34 PM
The only reason to edit is for spelling/grammar or if what you have to say is adding on to your orginal post. Neither were the case so I made a new post.

Andrew x360a
05-10-2009, 03:38 PM
The only reason to edit is for spelling/grammar or if what you have to say is adding on to your orginal post. Neither were the case so I made a new post.

That's actually not correct. If you have something else that you want to add and your post is still the most recent one, then you're expected to use the edit button and avoid posting multiple times in a row.

On topic: I rather like this idea. You have no idea how many guides I see that look like they were thrown together in thirty minutes just so someone could get theirs up first. We already have other subjective guides (Member of the Month, SotF), so this one wouldn't be any different I suppose.

One possible way to set it up would be to have the Guide Team nominate some number of guides (5?) and then open it up to the site for a vote. After some period of time (a week?), we'd have a winner.

My only thought is that a month might be too frequent. Maybe every two months? That way we'd recognize six guides a year, which seems reasonable. That way, the guide would have to be really spectacular to stand out.

antnie
05-10-2009, 04:39 PM
That's actually not correct. If you have something else that you want to add and your post is still the most recent one, then you're expected to use the edit button and avoid posting multiple times in a row.

On topic: I rather like this idea. You have no idea how many guides I see that look like they were thrown together in thirty minutes just so someone could get theirs up first. We already have other subjective guides (Member of the Month, SotF), so this one wouldn't be any different I suppose.

One possible way to set it up would be to have the Guide Team nominate some number of guides (5?) and then open it up to the site for a vote. After some period of time (a week?), we'd have a winner.

My only thought is that a month might be too frequent. Maybe every two months? That way we'd recognize six guides a year, which seems reasonable. That way, the guide would have to be really spectacular to stand out.
Nice thougts. I hope that this feature will get implimented in some way, as it would benifit the site.

Ingles
05-10-2009, 06:32 PM

In reference to what Barrthnine said, Uhmm... I told you so.

I like the one guide every two months thought. And voting... sure! Any way to get the site involved sounds great! That could make it fun, although I think the poll on the main page is flawed. I'm not sure how it tells if I've voted before (I'm assuming I.P. address) or something, but I've tested it out and been able to vote numerous times so that might be a problem with voting.

antnie
05-12-2009, 12:17 AM

I like the one guide every two months thought. And voting... sure! Any way to get the site involved sounds great! That could make it fun, although I think the poll on the main page is flawed. I'm not sure how it tells if I've voted before (I'm assuming I.P. address) or something, but I've tested it out and been able to vote numerous times so that might be a problem with voting. Good idea.

Der Fuhrer
05-12-2009, 01:19 AM

If reference to what Barrthnine said apparently he missed the fact that I had no consectuitive posts and so what he said did not really apply.

The award should be once a month and I think there would be to many flaws or ways to cheat with a poll.

JVViz
05-12-2009, 03:03 AM
I think this is a good idea! But like others have said, it should be only be every 2 months. Most games tend to come out at the very beginning of the year or in the fall.

weesplash
05-12-2009, 04:40 AM
Sounds like a good idea. It would definitely help to improve the standard of the guides if everyone was fighting for the award. One every 2 months sounds maintainable. We could even have one award for retail guide of the month and one for arcade guide of the month, then more people would take the time to improve the quality of their guides.

antnie
05-12-2009, 04:49 AM
I still like the idea of every month.

EOU Findub
05-12-2009, 05:39 AM
The competition is the point. Tht way people will be motivated to make better guides. Not saying they are bad.

This isn't really necessary. If a guide is shit, then the members here usually tell them and another member makes a newer, better one and it gets either stickied, put up on the site, or both. Member of the month is a good idea that has been implemented, but guide of the month just seems a little much.

You also have to take into account the slow months. There might only be two or three guides to choose from out of the bunch. Would you just not give an award that month? Especially if both the guides are horrible?

Evil Demon55
05-12-2009, 05:55 AM
I like it, but it might not really be given out... kinda like the M.O.M thing, it is there but not really used.

antnie
05-13-2009, 03:26 AM
This isn't really necessary. If a guide is shit, then the members here usually tell them and another member makes a newer, better one and it gets either stickied, put up on the site, or both. Member of the month is a good idea that has been implemented, but guide of the month just seems a little much.

You also have to take into account the slow months. There might only be two or three guides to choose from out of the bunch. Would you just not give an award that month? Especially if both the guides are horrible?
If GoM was used then people would not have to remake guides. They could focus on a whole other game entirely.

Ingles
05-13-2009, 05:20 AM
I don't think that I have seen any guides that I'd call "shit". Keep in mind, we do have a guides team for a reason at x360a. I trust they do their jobs as best as possible given the material they are submitted, I'm sure.

Shelton
05-13-2009, 10:10 AM
^The guides of late are excellent quality and are thoroughly looked over.

However, if you look at an older game or an obscure game you will find some extremely lacking guides.

Pinball FX for example has a stickied guide that only states the achievements description!

The old guides need to be re-worked and improved up to the current standards.

antnie
05-14-2009, 09:32 PM
What is wrong with rewarding people for doing an amazing job?

Andrew x360a
05-14-2009, 10:17 PM
What is wrong with rewarding people for doing an amazing job?

Nothing at all. I'll start talking with the Guide Team and see if we can get some solid discussion happening with regard to this idea.

antnie
05-17-2009, 03:31 PM
Nothing at all. I'll start talking with the Guide Team and see if we can get some solid discussion happening with regard to this idea.
Any word from the guide team?

Andrew x360a
05-18-2009, 01:19 PM
Any word from the guide team?

I opened up a thread on the Guide Team board, linking back to this thread, so people could read the discussion here. Hopefully, there will be some feedback soon. I suspect that the end of the school year is affecting some people and tempering their response time.

Andrew x360a
05-23-2009, 03:58 PM
Alright. Feedback is starting to trickle in. I'm going to sit down and try to work out the logistics for how something like this would work. Monthly seems to be out of the question, but quarterly might be feasible. Antnie, I'll keep you updated as things are getting worked out.

EDIT: Oops. I didn't even realize that I was still the most recent response. Sorry for the double post.

antnie
05-24-2009, 07:02 PM
Your double posts are welcome. ;) Thanks for talking to the guide team.

kaleido42
05-24-2009, 08:20 PM
This might end up being quite interesting.

Quick question (I know its just a little off topic but no use opening up a new thread for just this), what happened to the April Member of the Month? Can't start up a new award thing until you get the old ones figured out:p.

The Pants Party
05-24-2009, 10:40 PM
We don't give MoM if there is no one worthy of it, hence some months go bare.

kaleido42
05-24-2009, 11:43 PM
We don't give MoM if there is no one worthy of it, hence some months go bare.

Can't believe I didn't think of that, is there some sort of criteria then or is it just for someone outstanding. (or is that a trade secret also:p)