PDA

View Full Version : My impressions of the Canadian BETA

onemorechanc
05-13-2009, 05:17 PM
To start off, here are a few links for infomation on the game:

Official site: http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/live/1vs100/
FAQ: http://www.xbox.com/en-CA/live/1vs100/faq.htm
Schedule: http://forums.xbox.com/27102801/ShowPost.aspx

So far, I have played the two "1VS100 LIVE" games, and one of the "1VS100 Extended Play" games. I had no idea what to expect (I have never seen the game show), but I enjoyed it quite a bit. It was easy to pick up, simple gameplay, and for the most part, it ran smoothly.

A little more on the "smoothly" part -- some people are reporting that they are disconnected randomly, and others couldn't get in at all. For all three game sessions in which I participated, I was able to connect and play the whole thing. I guess network connectivity is one of the things that they will (hopefully) be working on throughout the beta. The only issue I had was that the host's commentary was only audible about 25% of the time. From what I heard, the host mainly talks about how well "The One" is doing, some gamertag explanations, reads a few emails from people, and explains a bit of the rules.

The game itself is a simple trivia/quiz game. It is available to all Xbox Live members who have a Gold membership level, and is free to play. I am glad it is free, not because I didn't enjoy it, but because it would be useless otherwise. When buying an XBLA game, you get to play it whenever you want. However, this game is only available at certain times (see the link above for the schedule information). It just wouldn't work the same in an offline mode, so making it free is good business sense. There are advertisments in the game, and it will likely have sponsored prizes, but that is the way a game show works, so no big surprise. Also, by scheduling "show times", Microsoft will probably have an easier time selling advertisment spots because there will be a crowd anticipating the next event. And yes, part of the attraction in this game is the social aspect ... more on that in a bit. I do have one minor beef about the schedule -- it is set to start in prime time for the western TZs. I am in the East, so a four-hour difference means I was awake much longer than usual on a work night. Oh well, I guess that goes with living in a nation that covers a large area.

I won't go into all the rules, but the basics are that you get points for the following:

- answering questions
- answering questions quickly
- answering questions instantly
- answering questions correctly
- streaking (answering consecutive questions correctly)
- having a correct answer when people are knocked out of "The Mob"

The first four are not a copy/paste error -- you really can answer a question (fast or not), get it wrong, and still get some points. However, it is very small amount of points compared to taking a little time and answering correctly.

When starting the game, you are put in a lobby and matched up with three other players. Everybody playing is represented by their Avatar, and by pressing the "Y" button you can make it dance and gesture. Using the D-pad, you can change the type of dance/gesture that your Avatar is performing. It is kind of neat, but continuously spamming the "Y" button just to see the Avatar hop around can get old (I still do it, though). I was in a party with a friend, and he sent me an invite to the game on the second night, but we weren't matched up in the same group. I'm not going to say it won't ever happen (this is still a beta), but it would be neat if I could compete directly against a friend to see our score. We could still chat in our party, but there is also an option to chat with the other players in your group (much like an in-game channel).

The people who are chosen for the roles of "The One" and "The Mob" are selected based on their answer statistics -- accuracy, speed, streaks, etc. Speaking of statistics, there are whole slew of them available in the game. You can compare your current session with the three other players in your group, your career stats, an overall top 10 players, and more. I don't know if many folks would appreciate stuff like that, but I like playing a game that keeps track of those things.

The first game I played, I was in "The Crowd" the whole time, but in the second game I was able to make it into "The Mob". When I was in "The Mob", it was right at the end of a 17 answer streak, so what I read about being chosen based on stats seems to make sense. (Of course, I bombed on a pop culture/celebrity question, and that ended it for me.) The gameplay in the two modes is the same. In fact, I didn't even realize I had been chosen until after the first question. I would have appreciated a more prominent notification of the change, but the thing that made me notice was that I was grouped with different players. When I did get a wrong answer in "The Mob", I could still play and have the questions count towards my stats, but I was no longer in the running for a prize (imaginary though it is during the beta). When I was put back into "The Crowd", I was grouped with the same three as when I started the match.

By the way, the only prizes available during the Canadian beta are from a sweepstakes, and entries are gained just by playing the game. If "The One" chooses the money, or gets a question wrong and "The Mob" splits the prize, it is all just for show. When it comes out of beta those players will have a chance at the skill-based prizes.

The third game I played was the "Extended Play" mode. It was just a free-for-all of trivia questions -- no "One" or "Mob", everybody in the crowd. It was a little different, but in a good way. It seemed a little bit less competitive because I wasn't grouped with three other players (a bit of a negative), but there was less wait time between questions (a big positive). Also, the questions in "Extended Play" mode count toward career stats. There were a total of 37 questions in this mode, and there was no live host.

As for the questions themselves, it was a good mix. There were questions about sports, movies, music, video games, geography, history, science, pop culture/entertainment, and probably a few more categories that I am forgetting. I would say that about 60% were very easy, 25% were a little more difficult, and the rest I just guessed or skipped (you can earn a skip in "Extended Play" mode by having a streak of three correct answers).

I can't really comment on the acheivements because there are none in the beta. There was an option to view them in the game menus, but it just brought up an empty screen. Another post in this forum mentioned some possible achievements, but we will just have to wait and see what they are.

It was neat to be able to play against a large group of my fellow Canadians. I am not sure on the exact number of people playing, but the highest numbers I saw were approximately 11,000 on the first night, 16,000 on the second night, and 8,000 in the "Extended Play" mode.

All in all, it was quite fun ... and I'm going back for the next one.

mentaljason
05-13-2009, 08:37 PM
So lucky Ive been doing good and haven't made mob yet.
As for playing with friends, as from my experience, if you are together before you join the game, then you get put together. If you join when your friend is in already, you will get put together if there is room in his group of four.
I did experience the connectivity by getting kicked to the dashboard a couple times which may be why we have seen the one disconnect a few times.
Extended play I read that the voice of Cortana hosts and while we did not see any host I was hearing things I never heard throughout the main play, and it did sound like her, but Im not suuure.
I very rarely get to hear the real host. Do they have much for real ads for you? I have seen a Naruto movie ad, but other than that it has all been Xbox newsletter.
Me and my friends have had a ton of fun in this game, such funny answers choosable sometimes, but I would like to be able to play it more. Thats what I assumed extended play was for, but then there wasn't the structure and I found that due to there never being a new One, the questions started getting pretty ridiculous and so it was getting a lot less enjoyable as I just grinded out random guesses.

Jethrow
05-13-2009, 09:24 PM
Well i showed up on the first day of the beta but i couldn't play once due to constant disconnects.

Last night it started again, constantly being disco'd. I was about to call it quits when it popped me into a game and I stayed in it for about 1h25m. It was a great time.
I dunno, i was answering questions pretty good, 25,000 points in one game. I liked that some of the questions were very new, like what song did Lil Rounds sing on her last Idol performance and stuff like that.

And i thought it was cool that the top three get free xbl arcade games. Man i cant wait for the final version. And they must have a live person speaking between rounds because they were perfectly pronouncing everyones Gamertag, even though some were really out there. I give it thus far a sold 8/10, and it can only get better. Imagine when the states get it too, It'll be a real good time. ** HEY, has anyone been able to use their headsets on the game? Last night i was using my scene it controller, i like it better, all you need are the lettered buttons anyway.

onemorechanc
05-14-2009, 04:54 PM
As for playing with friends, as from my experience, if you are together before you join the game, then you get put together. If you join when your friend is in already, you will get put together if there is room in his group of four.

Glad to hear it ... it didn't seem to work for me, but it makes sense that this should be an option.

Extended play I read that the voice of Cortana hosts and while we did not see any host I was hearing things I never heard throughout the main play, and it did sound like her, but Im not suuure.

I read the same thing. I think her name is Jen Taylor. Her voice work seems to be all pre-recorded, but as a "floor host" most of her talking is just stuff like "next question". She does the main show as well as the Extended play.

I very rarely get to hear the real host. Do they have much for real ads for you? I have seen a Naruto movie ad, but other than that it has all been Xbox newsletter.

I saw the same ads, and since it is still beta I assumed they were placeholders. Every once in a while the live host (I think his name is Chris Cashman?) was in a video where the ads were normally shown.

onemorechanc
05-14-2009, 05:02 PM
I liked that some of the questions were very new, like what song did Lil Rounds sing on her last Idol performance and stuff like that.

Yes, a lot of the questions were quite current. And I now remember that question that you just mentioned ... I think it's the one that screwed up my streak! I've never heard of that person ... likely because I have never watched any "Idol" shows. Oh well, it's a game, and there is always next time.

And i thought it was cool that the top three get free xbl arcade games. Man i cant wait for the final version.

Me too ... I wonder if the winner is sent a code to redeem a game, or if they can choose? Probably less of a headache for the show to just have a "prizes must be accepted as awarded, no substitutions" clause or something like it. Heh heh, like I'll ever have a chance at winning one anyway ... when this goes live, I have a feeling that there will be a few more people participating.

HEY, has anyone been able to use their headsets on the game? Last night i was using my scene it controller, i like it better, all you need are the lettered buttons anyway.

I had my headset plugged in, and it worked fine. You could chat with the people in your group, but I was in a private party with a friend instead.