PDA

View Full Version : secondary review opinions

rubixcubed60
05-15-2009, 04:26 PM
I was thinking that you could have on top of the regular review a smaller review writtin by another reviewer just a paragraph or two so that we can see multiple opinions kinda like how game informer magazine does it this would allow us to get a better understanding on the game after all opinions can wildly differ. This could either not count to the overall score or you could make it another catagorey with the actual secondary review in the summary area that counts (slightly) to the overall score.

agentplatypus
05-15-2009, 04:33 PM
I like this idea. Gameinformer does this and its nice to get multiple opinions.

Only problem is I believe x360a give the reviewer the game, and I don't know if x360a can get another copy of the game to give to the extra reviewer.

ThrawnOmega
05-15-2009, 05:35 PM
I like this idea. Gameinformer does this and its nice to get multiple opinions.

Only problem is I believe x360a give the reviewer the game, and I don't know if x360a can get another copy of the game to give to the extra reviewer.

You win a cookie for being 100% right. We don't get multiple copies of games from publishers. Sometimes we don't get a copy of a game at all, and thus one of us has to buy/rent it for review.

I'm open to the possibility of doing 2nd opinions for some of our reviews, but you have to realize those times would be pretty rare, as it would essentially require at least one of us (perhaps two) to go out and get a game, and even for the AAA titles, that doesn't happen all the time.

Besides the 2nd copy issues, you're pulling a person away from writing a full review to instead do a 2nd opinion, which could create a situation where our current group is overworked/shortstaffed, even more so around holiday times. Good concept, tough to execute.

ViRaLuNdEaD
05-15-2009, 05:50 PM
I agree, I like the idea, but it would probably need to be limited to those games that are not blockbuster hits and those that don't fall on the complete opposite end of the spectrum either. It would be best reserved for those games that might just be geared toward a particular type of player, where across the board it might not be a smash hit, but for certain types of players it would warrant a second look.

A friend and I used to do point/counter point reviews for some games, but never for all games that we reviewed.

agentplatypus
05-15-2009, 06:01 PM
You win a cookie for being 100% right.

Yay, cookie! :)

jackanape
05-15-2009, 06:14 PM
I think the team did talk about this idea a while back but it would have been tricky to implement. We try and get reviews up close to release and if every one was waiting on a second opinion it would take even longer resulting in less impact/interest.

Rest assured that all reviews are thoroughly discussed by the team before they go up - some reviews never actually got posted due to the level of 'debate' around them, ha ha! But it's all because we care and want a well balanced final article.

rubixcubed60
05-16-2009, 03:47 AM
I agree, I like the idea, but it would probably need to be limited to those games that are not blockbuster hits and those that don't fall on the complete opposite end of the spectrum either. It would be best reserved for those games that might just be geared toward a particular type of player, where across the board it might not be a smash hit, but for certain types of players it would warrant a second look.

A friend and I used to do point/counter point reviews for some games, but never for all games that we reviewed.
Thats the main reason i suggested it in the first place for instance in game informer they reviewed entarian oddessy fo ds the main reviewer gave it a 6 saying it was boring and far too difficult but the secondary reviewer said if you like old school dungeon crawlers to check it out if it werent for that second review i would never have got the game which i very much enjoyed.
Also i understand it would be hard to do it was just a suggestion i thought would be good for AAA titles and games aimed at a particular type of player (i.e. simulations, jrpg, old school etc.)

Rugger X
05-17-2009, 04:36 AM
It's not a terrible idea but you can use meta critic and take a look at all sorts of reviews and you can use the forums here if you have more specific questions about a game

Tyger7
05-25-2009, 08:46 AM
His idea is a pretty good one. IGN let's anyone write a review for the game, under their main review. Gives a lot of opinions and an average review number. Also, a site called phonescoop does the same but for cell phones.

I think community based reviews wouldn't be a bad idea at all. I don't think we need 5 "professional" reviews where the person must be on a payroll of some sort and be boughten the game, then given a timeframe in which to complete a full review. I think the original thread creator intended anyone to be able to write a review. Not asking for a few reviews from the review team.