PDA

View Full Version : Paying for content you already had?

Crash
12-21-2006, 03:17 PM
It has been recently uncovered that some Microtransactions on the Marketplace are actually just keys that unlock items already on the disc that you bought.

And the case against microtransactions mounts. Industrious NeoGAF poster "a master Ninja" has done a little digging and uncovered just how big some of the "downloads" are over the XBL marketplace for useless shit like Viva Piņata accessory packs. I say "downloads" because, well, you're not really downloading much at all. From the size of these files, it's clear you're just downloading a key that unlocks content already present on the disc. Content that you've already paid for by paying for the disc.

You can read the full article and see examples here at Kotaku.com (http://www.kotaku.com/gaming/marketplace/some-marketplace-downloads-already-on-disc-223420.php)

P1NSEEKER
12-21-2006, 03:42 PM
I knew this was the case with live arcade but retail as well!

That sucks :(

Im a Manatee
12-21-2006, 04:19 PM
Well, I understand the live arcade thing, with unlocking the full game. But @#$% like Viva Pinata? You have to be kidding me!

slowpantz
12-22-2006, 11:55 AM
man that sucks :(

vincesecuricor2
12-22-2006, 12:19 PM
Micro$oft were always gonna do/allow this though i could see it happening the very first time i logged onto marketplace

SaiSpag
12-22-2006, 11:05 PM
So basically they make a full game, flip a few switches and lock some content, then they release the disc and expect us to pay to flip those switches to on so we get the content WE ALREADY PAID FOR.

gg M$...

razzleson
12-22-2006, 11:11 PM
Don't be too shocked, it's been happening on Saint's Row for a while.

vincesecuricor2
12-22-2006, 11:12 PM
great business model if you ask me, i mean come on especially if its something that will give you an edge i.e. ea's recent cheat unlocks for TW07 and carbon, i admit i bought a murciealago on carbon to finish the damn game quicker lol

Maka
12-23-2006, 01:14 AM
It was pretty Obvious. Theres no way that Something 40KB big actually put a car into your game...

The Killer 47
12-23-2006, 02:14 AM
What they are doing is a crock, but the only thing we can do is just refuse to buy the content.

Lionheart VI
12-23-2006, 03:42 AM
True. It's crap.

eXiled Killah
12-23-2006, 04:13 AM
It was pretty Obvious. Theres no way that Something 40KB big actually put a car into your game...

Yep, you're right. I first noticed this with NFS:Carbon. Most (I believe) are just 108kb AND it flat out tells you that the content you're paying for would normally unlock and become available in the natural progression of the game.
Heck, look at the 'download' size for the Collector's Edition content. That just tells you that ALL the discs have the same content just that some don't have the unlock key activated.

magictroll
12-23-2006, 04:50 AM
I guess in their eyes they're saving us time downloading and their servers bandwith. In my eyes these "updates" should be part of the game to begin with and are a scam.

I downloaded GRAW Chapter 2 and I don't regret it. It actually felt like an addon and was worth every M$ Point. But paying for individual cars? RIP-OFF!