PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on Gray Maynard

D0C RAY
05-22-2009, 02:54 PM
I have taken my career slowly, always fought the lowest ranked guy and trained hard.
My CAF does well yet Gray Maynard kills me.
I can beat him with my CAF in an exhibition, but in career he grounds me and tko's / ko's me every time.

I have decent takedown defence but it does nothing and every move I try he ends up in full mount.

I tried being defensive, I tried killing him before he can take me down but he seems unbeatable for my CAF.

Any advice for stopping this wrestling machine?

Midnight Malice
05-22-2009, 03:03 PM
Distance, leg kicks, hit and run. Get used to transition reversals. This is where you flick the Right thumb stick when they try to get better ground position, very different than just stopping them from moving. Get used to catching thier arm when you are in stuck in thier mount on your back.... (if this wasn't about groundfighting that would sound sooo dirty)

D0C RAY
05-22-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the advice.

I think its time to retire him and restart.

18 attempts and I can't even come close to beating him. The leg kicks worked for a while and then he still gets me down. I'm not sure if my right stick is dead but it seems to do nothing anymore in either attack or defence. :(

Midnight Malice
05-22-2009, 03:24 PM
yeah, blame the controller... thats what I'm going to do when I finally lose ;)

Apache 117
05-22-2009, 04:14 PM
wait to you face frank mir

D0C RAY
05-22-2009, 06:00 PM
What style is best to counter wrestling and grappling? I am find with stand up and stand up defence, its ground work I am struggling with.

GeezusDylan160
05-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Three words my friend....Ground.And.Pound.

Build up takedown defense + offense, submission offense + defense, ground grapple (O+D) and ground striking (O+D). This will make you a GnP monster. Take 'em down, or counter grapple him to a takedown, transition until your in mount. Once your in mount, hold the right stick back so that you block any transition he tries to make. Once the transition is blocked, get 1-2 punches on his face, hold back the stick, 1-2 punches, hold stick, do a few punches to his chest and then back to his face and so on. Easiest method in the world to gain victory.

IMAMEX
05-22-2009, 09:59 PM
I found this out against Tyson Griffin & Nate Diaz on my under developed first 155er who was taking the biggest fight possible every time. Nothing more embarrassing than getting a take down and getting kimura'd from the top :( Then I made my boxing Judo guy and I'm spreading points better and I got matched up with Nate and he fucking mounted me a couple of times and beat the shit out of me. What happens is I totally forget about diff. moves I can do to get out of positions. I'm going to challenge him again with reversals to avoid being mounted. Thanks M malice I don't think you're an asshole.