PDA

View Full Version : How to not suck. A guide.

Classick
05-23-2009, 07:49 AM
Sticky this please.

From another thread (slightly edited):

Don't expect to buy the game, come home and start winning matches against others. Seriously, everything you need to know is in the tutorial. Being good comes from practice.

But so this post won't be completely useless- I'll give you some tips. I've gone on two 20+ win streaks in the past two days so you know I'm a credible source.

Tip 1- Pace yourself. You have no idea how many retards I catch with no stamina while they're in an open guard or just in general. Turn the stamina bar on. Watch it drain as you strike and grapple. If it runs all the way down- you WILL submit if your opponent is decent or better at submissions. I've made guys tap within 2 minutes of round 1 or in the final seconds of round 3 because they don't pace themselves.

Tip 2- Don't pick Rampage Jackson. Have a personality. Pick someone you're good with. Rampage is very limited. He is only good for clinch range attacks and breaking out of virtually every submission that is applied to him despite how gassed (out of stamina he is). When using him you'll be tempted to just clinch, then slam people. But they'll catch on and then you're done for.

Tip 3- Go through the ENTIRE tutorial. It's not that long- it takes about 10 minutes. And you get an achievement for it.

Tip 4- When picking a character to use- consider the six different fighting styles. In my opinion, the best striking style is Kickboxing, followed by Muay Thai, then there's a massive drop off, then Boxing. As for grappling, it goes BJJ, Wrestling, Judo. BJJ offers a ridiculous amount of great major transitions.

Tip 5- After you find a character you prefer- take him into the practice arena. Press start- Position change- then go through every ground position available (practicing all of the transitions for each position as you go [they're in the start menu under 'actions list']).

Tip 6- The only time you should go for a submission is if you see your opponent's stamina is very low, or completely gone. By doing this and rotating the RS stick while in the submission you are almost guaranteed success. Just rotate the RS as quickly as possible. I find that using my palm works best. If you perform a submission at a bad time it usually puts your opponent into the side guard if he breaks out using the RS- and often times you'll be gassed from the submission attempt and that means he'll make you tap in less than a minute if he chooses to do so. Since I'm assuming you suck at transitions, you don't want him in your side guard because that's one step away from the mount as well. Getting out of the mount successfully takes practice but it's not hard. The position is very intimidating to new people though.

This game has the hardest learning curve you will ever come across. You can't just pick up the sticks and dominate. It takes hours and hours of practice to even stand a chance. I know because I went 3-12 before I did everything I just mentioned. Now? 39-14. Level 51.

If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask.

Scherbanator
05-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Awsome tip's thank's alot. that palm trick was the onley way i could get a submission. And this is a tough game to master, some of the moves are quite difficult. Peace

ITz SPADEZz
05-25-2009, 12:33 AM
thanks alot of these tips helped

hopesfall2win
05-25-2009, 02:32 AM
Gotta disagree on the Rampage thing..I was him today vs Rashad, and it was 2nd or 3rd round when I got rocked to the ground THREE times and kept recovering, and eventually knocked Rashad up when I got up and could recover.

And no it wasn't the weak knock down where you're feet are up, this is fetal position with the screen grey with Rashad pounding me 3 times in a row, and Rampage recovered 3 times and then had a 1 punch KO. He's almost overpowered with his sub defense and striking power..

Midnight Malice
05-25-2009, 03:23 AM
i'm 20 - 0 vs people that have used Rampage. So far, most of the people that pick him have no ground game anyway.

Classick
05-28-2009, 04:58 AM
I'm bumping this up because I continue to see threads asking for help on trivial shit.

Classick
05-28-2009, 04:59 AM
Gotta disagree on the Rampage thing..I was him today vs Rashad, and it was 2nd or 3rd round when I got rocked to the ground THREE times and kept recovering, and eventually knocked Rashad up when I got up and could recover.

And no it wasn't the weak knock down where you're feet are up, this is fetal position with the screen grey with Rashad pounding me 3 times in a row, and Rampage recovered 3 times and then had a 1 punch KO. He's almost overpowered with his sub defense and striking power..

Yeah, Rampage has a great chin. But no one else can take a punch like him. So if you get used to slugging it out 24/7 with him, then that won't transfer over well to other characters who can be flash ko'd at just about any time.

PureTechniquex
05-28-2009, 12:33 PM
i'm 20 - 0 vs people that have used Rampage. So far, most of the people that pick him have no ground game anyway.

I 2nd that, The amount of times i've submitted Rampage in the 1st round with Thiago Silva & Bisping is just funny.

I look at there Stats & see like 28 KO - 0 Submission & thats when i know they are just looking to knock me out lol, when they are gassed, go for a takedown & there we go another easy Kumara. :p

Otonielgt
05-28-2009, 02:21 PM
thanks.... ill try that :P

I3URKY
05-28-2009, 10:52 PM
nice tips there dude, my online record, 2-3-0 i find it really hard to get online ranked fights there never seem to be any wen i go for ranked =[