PDA

View Full Version : 360 Mouse & Keyboard

Webb
12-24-2006, 12:08 AM
With the likes of C & C and Halo Wars coming out looks like we'll be needing a mouse and keyboard... Look no further :D

http://www.360monster.com/newspost.php?id=0000001532

magictroll
12-24-2006, 12:24 AM
:eek: Is this going to have game compatibility or just for menus? Will Microsoft allow this or update to remove the functionality! Great news but seems too good to be true :( :confused: :mad: :(

I N64 I MaRiO
12-24-2006, 01:00 AM
people for FFXI have keyboards.....so i dont think they need an update...dont know about that mouse i guess we'll need an update for that...

Webb
12-24-2006, 01:07 AM
Quoted direct from XFPS 360

Latest News: XFPS 360 Final testing complete & User manual available!

It is with great pleasure that we announce final testing of the XFPS 360 has been completed successfully! Please refer to the image below (left) as a testament to the completion of the XFPS 360 and one of our engineering staff happily firing away. Full stock of the XFPS 360 will be shipping to retailers very soon, but until that time comes wed like to quench your thirst with an important announcement: The XFPS 360 is fully customizable!
Weve been literally inundated with masses of e-mails inquiring whether users can create their own custom button configurations in addition to the default setting. The answer is a resounding yes! Feel free to view the text-based manual for the XFPS 360 below (right) which denotes almost everything you need to know about the magical device.

On a final note, review samples will be available but in limited supplies only. If you as a member of the gaming media wish to feature the XFPS 360 in your publication, then wed be grateful if you could register your interest as soon as possible.

HellzManik
12-24-2006, 03:05 AM
It would be SWEET if I could use my NOSTROMO N52 with this bad boy.. I would be unstopable in FPS..

I bet Microsoft comes out with a wireless keyboard and mouse a few months. You know how it goes:)

Webb
12-24-2006, 03:09 AM
This then brings up the debate of is it fair to have controller players vs. mouse and keyboard. Cause it certainly isn't a level playing field then.

I think this is a mistake in all honesty.

HellzManik
12-24-2006, 03:13 AM
Yeah that is true..

Because I know I could do WAY better with a mouse and keyboard that I can with a controller..

They are taking steps to turn console gaming into PC gaming which sort of defeates the purpose of a CONSOLE...

Hmm.. I have mixed feelings about this I guess:confused:

Webb
12-24-2006, 03:23 AM
I think everyone knows they could do better with a mouse and a keyboard than a controller. Using a controller requires more skill in my opinion. I suppose it's like drugs in sport! :eek: No more level playing field no more :(

Im a Manatee
12-24-2006, 04:02 AM
This has been posted... oh... 3 times already, at least. I'm excited for it, but I already have a functioning PS/2 to USB adapter built that I use.

RiddlingCat
12-24-2006, 04:04 AM
No point of buying this for me; it contradicts the reason why I play video games on my 360 over my PC ! :biglaugh

magictroll
12-24-2006, 04:35 AM
Oh I'd get it for sure but I'd rather it not come out at all.

Does that make any sense?

Darth Odan
12-24-2006, 04:40 AM
SWEET!!!!! Mouse and Keyboard!!!!!!! I'd like it for RTS game and MAYBE some FPS...Good old wasd :D XD

HEADSHOT499
12-24-2006, 04:51 AM
For the ppl who dont know u can use a regular usb keyboard to type PM 2 ur friends without a specail adapter....i use it for that purpose and it is so much faster

Nightmare_Celt
12-24-2006, 04:14 PM
I think if they limit it to some games then it will be useful. I'd like to see it used for games like World of Warcraft (:woop: ) or possible Huxley.

It does defeat the point of buying a console. But then there are millions of PC games who can't afford a high spec pc for gaming and being able to use their KB & Mouse on a console might mean that there is a major switch over to this console.

You don't need to have a high spec pc to surf the net and send e-mails your friends.

Im a Manatee
12-24-2006, 07:07 PM
It doesn't defeat the point of buying a console, there are exclusive games, games without KB, things like that. Because someone is going to use a keyboard for Shadowrun and huxley doesn't mean that it's the end of all consoledom.

Nightmare_Celt
12-24-2006, 09:07 PM
It doesn't defeat the point of buying a console, there are exclusive games, games without KB, things like that. Because someone is going to use a keyboard for Shadowrun and huxley doesn't mean that it's the end of all consoledom.

True. Good point. I think it would be useful for a lot of games and it doen't need to be used all the time. Some games you might use the KB&M for social and game interact, then switch to the controller for the action or mainline game mode. or a combination of other uses.

Even if I didn't use it all the time I'd still probably buy them. Even if it was just for typing messages to my friends.

Minty
12-24-2006, 09:26 PM
It will also allow MS to introduce an Internet Explorer on the 360 if they wanted to ;)

Nightmare_Celt
12-25-2006, 03:33 AM
It will also allow MS to introduce an Internet Explorer on the 360 if they wanted to ;)

Yeah, that would be cool.

Isn't this already available on the PS3?

FrothyOmen
12-25-2006, 03:34 AM
Meh. I think it would be a great idea for RTS, RPGs, etc. I would hope that it's not used for any FPS games though, it gives an unfair advantage. It's a whole lot easier to aim with a mouse than a controller.

RiddlingCat
12-25-2006, 04:18 AM

That's a rumoured update, lets see it come true. :)

razzleson
12-25-2006, 05:28 AM
Eh, I don't want to see the KB&M at all on the 360. Keyboard's an exception for typing messages, but that's it.

It's completely uneven on almost all games, I mean, take Viva Pinata or something, it would be so much easier to hit one key rather than press press X, then down, then A. Etc etc etc.

And we all know the comparison on FPS games.

Eh, keep it out IMO.

Off topic: I've been praying for an internet browser since release. On a bad note if it ever comes out, my Xbox will surely get the three lights of death. My box will be on 24/7.

IceWarm
12-25-2006, 06:32 AM
Looks cool. This will definitely help for RTS games.

PerpetualHeaven
12-25-2006, 07:11 AM
The thing is the games for consoles are slower paced. They aren't the pace most computer games are at. I don't know if it would be a huge advantage, but would KB+M help you on gears? I don't think so.
For FPS' it's debatable. I still think FPS' on consoles are much slower then the PC verisons (sorry for repeating myself).

edit: Also, I would love to see a lot of other things then a dumb browser. How about eject while the game is in the console? So simple yet it's not available. What about multiple downloads instead of the constant pending bull crap? Or how about downloads don't constantly stop when you enter live?
All of these would be a lot better then a browser. Hey my computer is right next to my 360. I have access to browser. I just don't see the point of one when it won't be accessible while you're in a game.

razzleson
12-25-2006, 09:33 AM
How about eject while the game is in the console? So simple yet it's not available.
Forgot about that one, I get so annoyed sometimes. >.<

SaiSpag
12-25-2006, 12:03 PM
Any wireless keyboard and mouse should work. I currently use one for PSU

KMB 316
12-25-2006, 09:00 PM
i may get it but i would need a TV tray since my tv isnt like a computer monitor similar to how they pictured it

Webb
12-30-2006, 02:11 AM
So, here it is in action then...

http://www.news4gamers.com/xbox360/News-18436.aspx

IMportdreams95
12-30-2006, 04:18 AM
For the ppl who dont know u can use a regular usb keyboard to type PM 2 ur friends without a specail adapter....i use it for that purpose and it is so much faster

thats exactly what i do! works good enough for me

Webb
12-30-2006, 04:26 AM
I just use XBox.com, it's a hell of a lot easier ;)

IMportdreams95
12-30-2006, 04:36 AM
I just use XBox.com, it's a hell of a lot easier ;)

lol thats true, but hey my computer is up stairs in my office, so i dont fell like running everywhere.

xX MaslaN Xx
12-30-2006, 05:26 AM
well are they putting the web on the 360 soon lol.

Webb
12-31-2006, 03:31 AM
360 Fanboy have reviewed it and the results aren't positive. So it's still good for the neutral playing field :)

http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2006/12/30/x360f-review-xfps-kb-and-mouse-on-360/

xR33F3Rx
01-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Now if the 360 had a internet browser then it would rly seem as though their pushing close to pc. But honestly it's a amazing pc for 400 bucks....

Tyger7
01-02-2007, 08:18 AM
First of all, when Vista comes out they will eventually be having it possible to play online against people on PC games. So we would all be playing against people with keybooards and mice anyways in a lot of games that can do this. Second, this does not defeat the purpose of the 360. This system is a gaming system. You pop in a disc and you are set to play. No having to read system requirements and hoping you dont get a lot of lag because your computer is not good enough. That is why I have gone to this system. Realizing the games I was trying to play on my good PC (1300 3 years ago was an ok system) is now not going to cut it. My room mates computer which can do world of warcraft perfectly is now having troubles playing beta vangaurd. He has to keep the graphics at minimum cause it gets really laggy if he sets it any higher. Games are games. I play them on console because that's exactly what it is, a gaming machine. Controller or keyboard.

Just my opinion but i know a lot of you who have low paying jobs will agree with me!

highpass
01-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Meh, i hate this contraption. I know it's probably impossible but ideally it ought be banned.

MS could enable options for third-party mice in games that may be played against PC players like Shadowrun, but generally this kind of unbalancing crap ought not be allowed... so it's good news about Gears and general aiming with the mouse being utter shite. /soap box

Wriggy
01-02-2007, 11:38 AM
A simple Google search brought up the following:

http://img454.imageshack.us/img454/2214/spanishaccessoriesmh9.jpg

As you can see the image of the 360 controller has a keyboard attatched to the bottom of it with a title to the left of it which translates as "Text Device" (if my Spanish is any good).

The text under the title means:

QWERTY Keyboard
Connects to controller
For sending text messages or in-game chat

Source:
http://news.teamxbox.com/xbox/8862/Xbox-360-QWERTY-Keyboard-Revealed/

The only problems, I see with this keyboard are:

Where will we plug our headsets into (unless we had a wireless one)?
Won't it be a bit small?
It could be too heavy

highpass
01-02-2007, 11:48 AM
Yeah, spotted this a while back, depending how well it works i'd rather use that than have to keep switching to a full keyboard for text input.

If i had to guess, i'd say the keyboard itself is fairly thin (not even 1cm/0.5" thick) with an alcove underneath for fitting your wired mic in. Either that or it's a clunky behemoth that includes a mic port on the front.

Regarding size; it's easy enough typing fast on a cellphone, this ought be alright ;)