PDA

View Full Version : UFC FAQ - Look here before posting

Midnight Malice
05-24-2009, 08:14 AM
Q: Why do I suck at this game?
A: Cause you don't know the controls. Go into the tutorials and pay attention this time. This is a very deep and complex fighting system, you aren't going to pick it up in 5 seconds, 5 minutes, probably not even 5 days. Practice against the computer in career, and exibition, and up the difficulty if it is getting too easy. All the answers for your control questions are right there within the game, not many people are going to show you how to fight, but this game also has a very deep practice mode where you can see every move performed by the computer from practice.

Q: This guy is standing over me and pounding my face, and I cant do anything about it... help! (K, not a question but whatever)
A: Pause the game (offline only) go into the action menu, it will show you the position you are in, and will show you everything you can do from that position.

Q: Whats all this stuff mean in the Action Menu?
A: The top line is your current position, LT RT will scroll through all the possible positions in the fight. The second line is all possible things you can do from this position LS will scroll through these. Strikes, Transitions, Takedowns, ect... the list of stuff is all the different button presses that you need to do to perform that action.

Q: My CAF sucks, how do I make him better?
A: Every week during the career you have the option to train your main 3 skills Strength, speed, and cardio. You pick which one you want to train, pick the intensity and thats it. Trainin will take up the whole week, the more intense your training session the more points you will get, but the more stamina you will lose. Choosing to spar will allow you to get in the ring and work with a partner for 2:00 and give you points for your fighting attributes. I started out by building Attribute points first til I maxed out what I wanted then started working on skills. By the time you max out your attributes you should have a level 3 or 4 sparring partner and that earns you a a lot more skill points per sparring session. Doing it this way is less weeks wasted, and more points for your CAF at the end of the career mode.

Q: O.k. I get how to build my CAF, but how do I get more points from sparring?
A: If you notice, at the end of the session each side has points for almost everything you can do in the octagon. The more things you can do in 2 minutes the more points you will get. If you end up with more points than your partner, then you get more points at the end of the session. Try and not let them hit you, take you down or reverse you, cause the higher your number is than thiers, will also increase your skill points. Basically, kick thier ass. If you get a KO or submission against your sparring partner, you get max points. Every once in a while, your trainer will bring in a new sparring parthner, when he does this, your max points you can earn increase. This is the reson I went for attribute points first. BTW, I submitted my level 5 sparring partner twice in 1 session and got 144 points for it :) thats my highest so far. 1 KO or submission should get you 100.

Q: Why don't I have the superman punch/flying knee with my CAF?
A: After a few successful fights, 4-5 wins, you will get an invite to train with other fighters and camps. You can choose to train either of your styles. Here you are tasked with 7 things you must complete in 5 minutes. Each task is worth 10 points, and you need a total of 150 points to level up your fighting discipline. Once you level these up, you will learn more advanced moves for that fighting style. Once you select a camp, it is scheduled for you on your calendar for the future. It is a highlighted week with a blue Octagon in it.

Q: I can't beat _____ in career, they are too hard, why?
A: The career gets harder as you win, and gets VERY hard once you win the title. Don't take on the champion until you are comfortable with the controls, and have built up your fighters stats. If you are trying to go undefeated quit to the dashboard before you exit the fight and you can redo it.

Q: No matter who I fight in career they beat me, what do I do?
A: Don't fight high ranked fighters too early, concentrate on training your fighter as mentioned above. Learn the controls better, don't take a title shot before your fighter is ready, you may win it, but you probably won't be able to defend it cause the game gets a lot harder once you get the belt. If you are having trouble before this, you might want to learn the game better first before you throw your controller through your TV. Play lots of exibition matches or play with friends online, that will help you get much better quickly.

Q: Why can't I ever get submission of the night?
A: The only confirmed method so far: You have to get a tapout very quickly in the first round, first minute or so. Your best bet for this is to come out and land a quick combo and take them down. Combo's are very underrated in this game, and do a lot of unseen damage to the other fighter, it may not rock them or take thier stamina down, but it will daze them. Obviously the higher you submission offense and lower thier submission defense makes this better. You can also try and come out with a few strong attacks and knock them down or rock them then go for the submission right away. Another way is to let them beat you up, and lose all 3 rounds, then make them tap with a defensive submission late in the third round. (This is less likely but it has worked for some) They don't always award submission of the night, and you are never guarenteed to get it, just keep trying these methods and you should get it in at least 1 out of your 30+ fights.

Q: I can't get the computer to submit, how do I do it?
A: Read this thread: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=148395

Q: I went through my whole career and didn't get into the Hall of Fame. Why?
A: Go undefeated, that is the best and most surefire way to get HoF.

Q: I won the belt and retired, how come I didn't get the achievements?
A: You need to actually COMPLETE the career mode. You can't just win the belt then retire, you have to play all 7 years of your career. You will be forced into retirement when your career is over.

Q: I didn't get ____ achievement against the computer, why?
A: List of Achievements: That was easy!, Wax off, World class striker, world class grappler all must be done against a UFC fighter not your created fighter. If you are having other Achievement issues feel free to look at this very good guide: http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=148466

Q: In career mode, what happens if I lose the title once I have it?
A: Just like in real UFC, you can get a shot at it again. You will still get the Pound-for-pound achievement, even if you don't retire with the belt. As long as you win it once within each weightclass you are good. You may not get into the hall of fame though, so it is up to you if you want to restart.

Q: Can I get the Pound-for-Pound achievement by winning the belt and retiring, or do I have to play through the whole career mode?
A: You can win the belt and retire your fighter. As long as you just win the belt at least once within each weight class, the achievement will unlock.

Q: What else do I unlock in classic fights besides videos?
A: Nothing, the only confirmed unlockables in this game are sponsers in Career mode, you can put them on your shorts and get more Cred per fight.

Q: Are there any unlockables at all?
At the title screen, press Up(3), Down, Left, Right, Up, Start to unlock SkyScrape from Tapout in Exhibition mode Middleweight class. He is rated 74 overall.

Have three consecutive tapout or submission wins in Career mode to unlock Mask from Tapout in Exhibition mode in the light heavyweight class.

Get the "Tapout" sponsorship in Career mode to unlock Punk Ass from Tapout in Exhibition mode in the lightweight class.

Q: I need to do a rear naked choke for Classic fights, how do I do it?
A: All 3 fighters have the BJJ style, which means they have rubberguard. You can transition to Back side control from here, and submit them with a rear naked choke. You need to be in Open Guard on your back, transition into rubberguard, then go to Back side control. Hold the LB and do a quarter circle from noon to 3 with the RS from open guard. Do the same motion without holding the LB to go to back side control, then click the RS to apply the choke.

Q: I keep getting a KO in classic fights, how can I get a decision win?
A: Use body shots, leg kicks, clinches and takedowns. Minimize headshots, and stay on top when on the ground.

Q: Why does this guy online just do the same move over and over?
A: Those are called move spammers, in other games that is a problem, in this game you can make them pay dearly. Just learn the most spammed moves, and get used to defending them.

Q: I got knocked out in one punch... WTF?
A: There are flash KO's in this game, keep your hands up at all times and it will happen a bit less, but it does happen. Get used to it. It is more luck based than anything, but getting caught leaning in, shooting for a takedown or charging toward them increases your chances of going to sleep.

Q: How can I get a 1 hit KO?
A: Use defense to let your opponent wear himself down, once you see that he it tired, use a big punch/kick (Superman, Spinning Backfist, Flying Knee, Rising Hook) and hope thats enough. If you play this game a while, a 1 hit KO is bound to happen if you use a pure striker with a lot of strength. Tim Sylvia, Brock Lesnar, Rampage Jackson, and Chuck Liddell are good to use for this. There are a lot of fighters that have good strikes and high strength, but these are the most popular.

Midnight Malice
05-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Q: I won my ranked match but the guy quit right when I KO'd him, why didn't I get a win?
A: Cause there are little baby girls online that don't want to get a loss on thier record, even though you beat them like they stole your lunch money, you won't get the win. There is currently no penalty for quitting out of ranked matches, so it is going to happen. Either wait for them to fix it, stick to player matches, or deal with it. You won't improve your record, or get achevements for wins in player, but it is better than fighting for 10-15 minutes and having the guy quit before the results.

I am still working on this day to day and am adding when questions are asked a couple times.

El Poocho
05-24-2009, 08:39 AM
This has the potential to be an excellent guide, i am struggling with this game and you have answered most of my questions, so thanks for that.

It makes a change on this particular board for someone to give advice instead of stating the obvious. I am getting a little bored of the same three people (won't name them as they know who they are) slating people because they suck at this game, if you have nothing constructive to add then stfu.

Thanks again for the guide and will be checking back when i start getting my arse handed to me again, so probably in 5 minutes then!

maddmaxx46
05-24-2009, 08:54 AM
Maybe you can add this question: How do you actually get a quick submission? I work the body as quick as possible and it still turns into a slow process. I know you need to go for it when they are close to being gassed but I can never get the computer there quick enough. Btw this is for the Submission of the Night.

Veritas34
05-24-2009, 07:03 PM
Great FAQS.

wstussyb
05-24-2009, 09:31 PM
Great topic, on bad part is you did not make this the day it came out :)

Midnight Malice
05-25-2009, 03:28 AM
yeah, I could have started then. but a lot of the info would have been incorrect or just not there.

Enigma310
05-25-2009, 07:18 AM
I don't know if this has been answered in the forum yet, but if it hasn't you can add it to your guide.

What happens if you win the title and then lose a fight? Do you have to retire or do you just get another shot later to win it back?

Midnight Malice
05-25-2009, 09:51 AM
I don't know if this has been answered in the forum yet, but if it hasn't you can add it to your guide.

What happens if you win the title and then lose a fight? Do you have to retire or do you just get another shot later to win it back?

updated, good question

Midnight Malice
05-26-2009, 02:50 PM
i'm bumping this, and will continue to until it gets stickied, or a mod tells me to stop.

REDBEES
05-26-2009, 06:26 PM
good FAQ, are certain camps easier than others? for instance, would BJ penn's boxing camp be easier than tim sylvia's boxing camp, or is the list of tasks random? certain camps I was only netting 10-30 pts, it'd be nice if I knew of some with the more easy tasks.

edit: also when I go into the status screen in career mode, to the left is 3 squares. only the top one is active for me and it says "boot camp". perhaps you could help me out a bit here and explain how I can change boot camps and what effect it really has.

Midnight Malice
05-26-2009, 06:32 PM
I haven't expiramented with that, from what I have seen, it is all dependant on where you are in your level. I think it is a locked order though. The only difference in camps is unlocking logo's for your trunks. Thats why I went extreme MMA and Black House Griffin and Machida's camps. You should get at the very least 5 in 1 camp session, if you don't use the same trick as losing a fight... go to dashboard. Don't waste it. I'll add that once I, or someone can confirm that.

REDBEES
05-26-2009, 09:39 PM
I didn't know that about the logos, thanks. I agree, you need to level once every 3 camps to be most efficient. I was just frustrated with BJJ camp and wanted to progress towards finishing this career undefeated. I found the boxing camps really easy to score 50-70 pts a session.

Midnight Malice
05-26-2009, 09:49 PM
BJJ is a bit different, there are a few times I only got 3, but the one right after was easy and I got 7. As long as you get 15 total after 3 visits you are o.k. if you miss one, well, you should still have plenty of time to get to lvl 3 on both styles by the time you retire, but you will miss out on sparring by going to camp when you shouldn't have to.

oh, and those boxes are where the camps you visit go. Don't skip around, train with 1 camp a few times and you will unlock them, get the logos for your trunks (which gives you more cred than anything else so far) and that box will have thier logo in it also. I don't think you can change the boot camp one, but the other 2 will fill up with your fav camp. I like that idea, only if they adjusted your flag too... that would have been an awesome touch.

REDBEES
05-27-2009, 01:33 AM
yeah I choose a different camp everytime, somehow I knew that'd be the wrong thing to do. thank you for the knowledge good sir.

BT X360
05-27-2009, 01:59 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but Submissions of the Night are ONLY awarded when you pull of a counter grapple submission.

Midnight Malice
05-30-2009, 04:00 PM
I hate to burst your bubble, but Submissions of the Night are ONLY awarded when you pull of a counter grapple submission.

This is not true. I have personally got it from a Flying Armbar AND a North/South choke after about a minute into the match. It is LUCK based, but you do not have to do a counter. You are more likely to get it that way, but it isn't a requirement.

JDSensations
05-30-2009, 11:30 PM
you answerd my question, why do i suck... but i already knew the answer lol the game is going to be really good, but you would need a slight interest in UFC. there are alot of controls and i wouldnt be arsed to sit down and learn them... so i have it for the week, ill try it and see how i get on. but good thread!!!

Beastmode
06-14-2009, 07:41 PM
Nice Faqs. And for anyone having trouble submitting when you create your next fighter boost his submissions off the bat. Spend as many points as you can in the CAF when you start and work your other stuff during your career.There are less submissions during the night than KO's so this method should help with the SOtN.

KILLER KLOWN XL
06-15-2009, 07:03 AM
dont waste ur time with this game moving the joy stick is gay
it makes u tired and its no fun half the game is about breaking ur stick
the faster u could spin that joy stick around the quicker u get out of gay
ground and pound take downs and also tap the X,Y,A,B buttons as fast as you can to get out of submissions hey i kick butt online and i dnt even like this game ha

taylorxxx
06-15-2009, 08:02 PM
dont waste ur time with this game moving the joy stick is gay
it makes u tired and its no fun half the game is about breaking ur stick
the faster u could spin that joy stick around the quicker u get out of gay
ground and pound take downs and also tap the X,Y,A,B buttons as fast as you can to get out of submissions hey i kick butt online and i dnt even like this game ha

I'm spamming here, but this is what is wrong with the internet.

my god.

godotblend
06-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Will simply going undefeated guarantee you a Hall of Fame trophy? Or are there any other requirements? I screwed up my CAF (was building it without a guide at first) so in order to improve my attributes and skills so that I'm ready for a title run, I've been avoiding title shot offers and fighting challengers instead. My CAF is currently 14-0. How long can you get away with avoiding the title shot if you want to get into the HoF? Do you have to have a required number of title defenses to be inducted into the Hall? I don't plan on going for the belt for a long while.

Leopold Kain
06-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Q: Why do I suck at this game? ....
.... but these are the most popular.

I just wanted to let you know Midnight Malice that I made a account on here just to write you that you FAQ section about UFC 2009 has helped me become a better gamer at this game.

Thank you very much for writing this review/faqs thingy.

Benji04
06-28-2009, 10:24 AM
i have played a few online matches where peple have caf with like 100 attribute setting for everything. how is this possilble?

thefamousamos1987
07-01-2009, 03:04 AM
i have played a few online matches where peple have caf with like 100 attribute setting for everything. how is this possilble?

It's possible because people are gay and find a way to glitch the game to where they can create a fighter from the main menu and max his stats then take him online. I read how to do it somewhere on here but never would I bring myself to that level of lowness. The best way to avoid this problem is when playing online go to custom match and set it to UFC fighters only. That way it won't be filled with cheaters except for the ones that quit when they lose....those people should suffer massive amounts of pain every time they quit.

Lilnag123
07-27-2009, 01:09 PM
Good stuff mate, it'll really help others :)

Jappe XBA
09-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Helped me a lot, thank you!

mmafighter420
11-18-2009, 01:19 PM
woo ko and fight of the night awards 1 match :uzi:

santore43
01-24-2010, 05:00 PM
How do i beat Rampage Jackson? He keeps clinching me and i cant get out of it and then kos me. ive tried to just take the loss or fight someone else hoping itll give me someone else for the title fight besides him, but its always him. Any tips?

dyl2210
03-15-2010, 04:00 PM
heres a question i have all gold medals for the weekly and no achievement i checkyed my medals and i have all gold and all silver and only missing 1 bronze help me :(

EDIT: i now have all the medals i got that last bronze one and i reset the xbox :( bummer still no achieve:(

mre8ball
03-21-2010, 10:04 AM
heres my brief list of questions: is white the only color of trunks u can wear? y does dana white mAKE U FIGHT PPL WHEN U HARDLY HAVE ANY STAMINA HELL SPRING A FIGHT ON U CUZ SOME1 GOT INJURED OR BACKED OUT AND HOW THE HELL DO U AVOID SUBMITTING TO THE TRIANGLE AND THE KNEE LOCK THING??? DEFINITE AUTOMATIC WIN FOR THE CPU VS ME I CAN CIRCLE THE STICK ALL DAY LONG BUT I CANT GET OUT OF THEM:uzi:

Midnight Malice
03-22-2010, 07:17 AM
heres my brief list of questions: is white the only color of trunks u can wear? y does dana white mAKE U FIGHT PPL WHEN U HARDLY HAVE ANY STAMINA HELL SPRING A FIGHT ON U CUZ SOME1 GOT INJURED OR BACKED OUT AND HOW THE HELL DO U AVOID SUBMITTING TO THE TRIANGLE AND THE KNEE LOCK THING??? DEFINITE AUTOMATIC WIN FOR THE CPU VS ME I CAN CIRCLE THE STICK ALL DAY LONG BUT I CANT GET OUT OF THEM:uzi:

you can do a lot to the trunks, just go edit them, and you can change the color, and later on add sponsers. You don't have to take the early fights, you can refuse, so that is on you. What I do to get out of submissions is rotate the stick clockwise for the first part of the submission, if they get it tighter then I slam the buttons. If you are low on stamina during the fight then you arent getting out, period. Rotating the stick is a technical escape and makes it a bit harder to get out, slamming the buttons is a strength escape, and makes it a bit easier. Just take your time and don't punch yourself out, keep your stamina up and there won't be a problem.

KellanS
07-28-2010, 05:28 PM
mre8ball,

To add to what Midnight Malice was saying, when Dana asks if you'll step in for a fight, at first it looks like your only option is to accept the short-notice fight, since you have to hit A, which is labeled as "accept". But, after you hit A to "accept", you can choose to accept the fight or decline it. For some reason, they decided that "accept" and "reply" were synonyms.

Corrupt.
02-09-2011, 05:25 PM
Well what a useful FAQ. I genuinely mean that. I am still 100% shit though...