PDA

View Full Version : New Awards Idea

jamieCR7
05-24-2009, 08:07 PM
Looking at the awards they are pretty cool, but i think that the site should come up with a type of gamerscore system to incorporate with the awards.

In personal opinion, the awards system is great and very motivating to try and improve people's contribution to the site, but it takes on more of a PS3 trophy look.

So aswell as the award picture i feel a score aswell as the picture will take on more of an XBOX 360 approach!

I DID CHECK THE PREVIOUS IDEAS AND FROM WHAT I COULD SEE THIS HADN'T BEEN SUGGESTED YET :)

The Pants Party
05-24-2009, 10:40 PM
We already do this. Every award is worth 1 point.

jamieCR7
05-24-2009, 10:46 PM
1 point towards what? And where does the points show?

I'm not meaning to be blunt but just curious :)

kaleido42
05-24-2009, 11:03 PM
We already do this. Every award is worth 1 point.

5-min lol.

@jamieCR7 The users of the sister site ps3trophies.org wouldn't be happy with that change (if it was made universal). Personally I don't see anything wrong with how it is now, for the most part. The only thing I don't understand is why some people have two awards for donating. Should not the money just all add up to try to get the next level higher award?

jamieCR7
05-24-2009, 11:05 PM
5-min lol.
What you mean?

kaleido42
05-24-2009, 11:44 PM
What you mean?

5 - 5 is a number, numeral, and glyph. It is the natural number following 4 and preceding 6.

min - the symbol for minute or minutes

minute - The minute is a unit of time equal to 1/60th of an hour or 60 seconds.

lol - LOL (also written with some or all letters lowercase) is an abbreviation for laughing out loud or laugh out loud. LOL is a common element of Internet slang used historically on Usenet, but now widespread in other forms of computer-mediated communication, and even face-toface-communication.

Thanks to wikipedia for providing all definitions :p

From there you should be able to grasp an idea of what I was trying to say. :)

Whitest Knight
05-25-2009, 12:21 AM
5 - 5 is a number, numeral, and glyph. It is the natural number following 4 and preceding 6.

min - the symbol for minute or minutes

minute - The minute is a unit of time equal to 1/60th of an hour or 60 seconds.

lol - LOL (also written with some or all letters lowercase) is an abbreviation for laughing out loud or laugh out loud. LOL is a common element of Internet slang used historically on Usenet, but now widespread in other forms of computer-mediated communication, and even face-toface-communication.

Thanks to wikipedia for providing all definitions :p

From there you should be able to grasp an idea of what I was trying to say. :)

i don't get it either.

Evil Demon55
05-25-2009, 12:33 AM
1 point towards what?

5 min lol towards what?

I too am lost.

kaleido42
05-25-2009, 02:20 AM
Its all a whole bunch of sarcasm from everyone:p (or at least 2 of us). Basically what Pants was doing was a cruel way of saying no and I found it quite funny the way he put it so I literally laughed, in real life, for a good five minutes.

Whitest Knight
05-25-2009, 03:49 AM
Its all a whole bunch of sarcasm from everyone:p (or at least 2 of us). Basically what Pants was doing was a cruel way of saying no and I found it quite funny the way he put it so I literally laughed, in real life, for a good five minutes.

oh ok, though you could have just said "I laughed for five minutes".

Jappe XBA
05-25-2009, 04:55 AM
Don't you guys understand what Pants meant? :p
Check the awards showcase, you can see your own "Award gamerscore" where it says Total awards: #. I think that is what he meant, correct me if I'm wrong ;)

ie. I have 4 points because I have 4 awards and Pants Party has 11.

Evil Demon55
05-25-2009, 05:47 AM
I literally laughed, in real life, for a good five minutes. That's sad. :p

Don't forget the points system can stack. Gold means you have 6 points, whereas silver means you had 2 and Bronze means you got 1. If you got 2 gold awards it means you have 14 points, and 2 silver is 5 and 2 bronze is 2. You really got to think about these... hard stuff these award giving mods have to go through!

Ingles
05-25-2009, 06:16 AM
1 point towards what? And where does the points show?

I'm not meaning to be blunt but just curious :)

If you glance to the left in the "Awards Showcase" display box. After the awards, you should notice that it says "Total awards: #". That's how you know the total number of awards.

What jappe66 said. :p

And for kaleido42... OK. I think I understand what you are saying. I worry about you sometimes.

Tyger7
05-25-2009, 08:36 AM
Well, I don't think the point system would work out anyways. And for the 1 point is 1 award that's quite lame/lazy. If I submit 3 guides I get one "point". If I submit 10 guides, my award changes and I still get one "point". That is like saying I have 500 posts so that means I have 500 points. There is no conversion, so there is no need to change the word. I have 1 award...no points, because I have what I have. The problem is a lot of the awards are old and outdated and can't even be obtained. Rankings in game tournaments are non-existant. You cannot obtain an award that was only given once. Being a girl is an award, but being a guy isn't? Being a mod is an award?

I think the award system is kind of cool, but it is extremely broken in so many ways. No need to try and complicate it more with a point system. But never know, maybe you'll get the award for having a cool idea :)

Skillet
05-25-2009, 08:49 AM
Well, I don't think the point system would work out anyways. And for the 1 point is 1 award that's quite lame/lazy. If I submit 3 guides I get one "point". If I submit 10 guides, my award changes and I still get one "point". That is like saying I have 500 posts so that means I have 500 points. There is no conversion, so there is no need to change the word. I have 1 award...no points, because I have what I have. The problem is a lot of the awards are old and outdated and can't even be obtained. Rankings in game tournaments are non-existant. You cannot obtain an award that was only given once. Being a girl is an award, but being a guy isn't? Being a mod is an award?

I think the award system is kind of cool, but it is extremely broken in so many ways. No need to try and complicate it more with a point system. But never know, maybe you'll get the award for having a cool idea :)

The award system isn't broken just because you can't get a few tournament awards or because you're not a moderator.

I think the plain and simple answer to this entire thread is the fact that the forum awards simply aren't achievements. They aren't something "to be obtained". They're there to let other people know that you've done something substantial for the site or that you're part of a specific demographic. Hence, the gamerchick award. Out of 30 thousand active members, there are only 136 girls. Might as well give them something that sets them apart from the crowd.

Giving all of the other members an award for being a guy is a huge waste of time, as well as pointless since we already know this. Considering they don't have the gamerchick award.

Tyger7
05-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Didn't want/expect a gamerguy award. That would indeed be a bad idea. I meant broken as in not being implemented as it used to be (such as tournaments). The original poster was just trying to give out an idea to the site, and I was explaining like you just did, that those awards are not meant to be a point system like achievements are.

Skillet
05-25-2009, 09:16 AM
Didn't want/expect a gamerguy award. That would indeed be a bad idea. I meant broken as in not being implemented as it used to be (such as tournaments). The original poster was just trying to give out an idea to the site, and I was explaining like you just did, that those awards are not meant to be a point system like achievements are.

There are still tournaments that give out awards. ;)

Tyger7
05-25-2009, 09:19 AM
I must be missing out. Hopefully they still do Halo 3 tournaments. I will look around the site, sorry for doubting!

The Pants Party
05-25-2009, 01:52 PM
Haha.. a lot of discussion on something I was sort of a dick about. Essentially the award itself is reward enough. There is no reason to put a value on it.