PDA

View Full Version : Post Count

Evil Demon55
05-25-2009, 12:42 AM
So we all know, or most of us know that we have a limit of 10,000 characters per post. But what we do not know is how many characters we have typed.

When I am typing, or working on a thread that is long, I like to know how much space is left. How much space I can cut off before posting it onto the next post of mine. I like to use all I can.

I will try and add a picture soon.

This would be a nice add-on to the site and I do think it is needed. Not something major, just something that is helpful.

Here is a picture of what it might look like:
http://i44.tinypic.com/2qn63bs.jpg

It says: You have 1651 characters remaining for your message.

Now of course if it was added on x360a, it wouldn't always say 1651, but that is just what this picture shows.

Whitest Knight
05-25-2009, 12:54 AM
i like this idea. it would prove useful for large posts.

Coadster1
05-25-2009, 12:57 AM
Yeah, I guess it would be helpful, though it's not likely I'll be typing something that long.

jorGe62990
05-25-2009, 01:26 AM
Just like my idea to prevent people from spamming in the comments...simple and logical, yet no one cares enough or is too lazy to implement it or even respond to the idea.

Asian47
05-25-2009, 01:37 AM
It would only be helpful to people making guides of some sort, not to the masses.

Seems like only a few people would get the most out of it, but it would be a very nice feature to have.

kaleido42
05-25-2009, 02:16 AM
Great for the lazy! Taking the high probability that the staff doesn't want to go through the trouble of implementing this they will most likely say, "copy text, paste to word, click word count, look at character count, done". Although I don't know for sure.

Feel free to quote mods.;)

Evil Demon55
05-25-2009, 03:25 AM
My word is messed up. I cannot seem to find "word count" on my word and it is the 2007 edition. My sister found it once, but it never seemed to pop up.

dakisbac
05-25-2009, 03:49 AM
Although it's not useful for everyone, this should definitely be added to the site.

Evil, Word Count is under the Review tab next to the Translate button (which is the fourth from the left)

Evil Demon55
05-25-2009, 04:40 AM
Thanks, still took me some time to find. The picture is so confusing. A picture of a page with 1,2,3 on it... that totally makes me think word count. Thanks xodakok.

LoveAGramm
05-25-2009, 05:43 AM
I don't really make amazingly long posts, but I think its a good feature.

Jappe XBA
05-25-2009, 01:28 PM
Very good when you are writing a guide for a retail game :)
But only useful for guide writers, not much for others :p

Cacky
05-25-2009, 01:31 PM
I think it's a fantastic idea, I'm surprised it hasn't come up before.

kaleido42
05-25-2009, 02:15 PM
Although it's not useful for everyone, this should definitely be added to the site.

Evil, Word Count is under the Review tab next to the Translate button (which is the fourth from the left)

An easier way that doesn't go through all that stuff that most people never use is in the bottom left hand corner it says Words: then however many, you can click on that box and it will tell you as well.

Simzo
05-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Yeah that would be cool, as most people say. Only for achievement guides and massive posts. For the average post it wouldn't be required unless you had some advanced form of OCD.

Barad
05-27-2009, 05:44 PM
This would be a really good feature tbh..good thinking! :)

jamieCR7
05-28-2009, 08:38 PM
Good idea! Simple and something that will help in a suttle way :)

HadMatters13
05-28-2009, 08:54 PM
I like this idea. It would be a nice, helpful feature. :)

icytower38
05-28-2009, 11:29 PM
Something like this may not be used by the majority of the users, but I can see it as helpful for those that make any kind of guide on the forums.

gallardolvr
06-01-2009, 02:26 AM
Just like my idea to prevent people from spamming in the comments...simple and logical, yet no one cares enough or is too lazy to implement it or even respond to the idea.
you responded to it...

Pheonix_Assassin
06-03-2009, 10:49 AM
It would only be helpful to people making guides of some sort, not to the masses.

Seems like only a few people would get the most out of it, but it would be a very nice feature to have.

But its better to have an idea that helps some people out than an idea that helps no one out =]

I say YES to the idea, it would help out some members and thats the main thing.

Evil Demon55
06-18-2009, 01:01 AM
It would be great also, because there would be no more of that 11000 characters out of 10000. You now have to randomly select a chunk of words and hope it has 1000 characters in it, than copy, than double check you copied it (because it would suck to delete it and fail to have copied it), then delete it, then go and make a new post, then paste it, then make it the correct font, and take bold off it... because it always goes bold for some reason. I think if it said "21 characters remaining", you would know to stop that sentence, post, then reply again. It would be a great, and nice thing to have.

I had another add-on to this idea, but I forgot it, so I will think of it again.

Evil Demon55
06-29-2009, 05:58 AM
This would also be really nice to have in the Sig. section because I have no idea how many chars. I have left, so I never know how much more space I can use for my signiture.

Skillet
06-29-2009, 07:04 AM
Yeah, I ahree with this. Saw it back when you originally posted it but didn't reply. :p

Don't really see the point in bumping it, but I agree non the less.

IPB at least has a "check length" option available that I'm sure wouldn't be hard to implement here.

Unless of course it's currently being implemented. That would make this entire thread a moot point. :p

Evil Demon55
07-01-2009, 03:34 AM
Hah, I do that all the time.

A check option wouldn't hurt, basically the same thing. This thing would be the best benifitted for signitures, because you can always make another post, annoying for achievement guide makers, but you can't make 2 signitures.

I just spent 20 minutes trying to add something to my sig, but I am unaware of how much space I have left. When I try to word check it, it counts gamertag things as 1 word, not the whole BBcode and it is really annoying. I don't want to go out and find the old BBCodes again just to find the word count of them.

I do hope they add something along the lines of a word checker, it really is needed for signitures, or stuff you cannot have 2 of. Much needed in threads though too. Hope they are added in :D.