PDA

View Full Version : Japanese X360 - Noob questions?

graemelunn
12-24-2006, 10:45 PM
I noticed a lot of you guys seem to play titles on NTSC-J machines and I am currently considering importing one, however I am just wondering if anyone could answer some questions for me. If u think these are daft/obvious, apologies, but they are genuine queries...
(1) Although I know the titles wil be in Japanese, what is the level of English language support? If it is next to nil, I really dont know how you guys are playing Blue Dragon and eM !!
(2) Will the voltage converter for my NTSC-U machine suffice for a NTSC-J machine or will I ahve to buy another one?
(3) Any ideas on any customs charges that I should take into account when buying one. I will probably use play-asia to import it (using the link on the site Webb b4 u say anything! ;) ) as I have heard they are very reasonable for price/service.

Thanks all, any help would be great.

Kaens
12-25-2006, 05:36 PM
I noticed a lot of you guys seem to play titles on NTSC-J machines and I am currently considering importing one, however I am just wondering if anyone could answer some questions for me. If u think these are daft/obvious, apologies, but they are genuine queries...

(1) Although I know the titles wil be in Japanese, what is the level of English language support? If it is next to nil, I really dont know how you guys are playing Blue Dragon and eM !!

(2) Will the voltage converter for my NTSC-U machine suffice for a NTSC-J machine or will I ahve to buy another one?

(3) Any ideas on any customs charges that I should take into account when buying one. I will probably use play-asia to import it (using the link on the site Webb b4 u say anything! ;) ) as I have heard they are very reasonable for price/service.

Thanks all, any help would be great.

1. The level of English support totally varies from game to game, but most of the ones I've played have no support at all. Blue Dragon you don't really need it, it's very playable without it, and EM if you buy the Asia version has bad translations but the menus are all in English. In the Jap version of EM there is no English at all.

2. If you already have a voltage converter, you should be fine. But perhaps someone from Europe should answer that one. Play-Asia does sell them though if you need one.

3. I found Play-Asia prices to be fair, nothing special, but now that Lik-sang is gone you don't really have much choice other than ebay. I bought my Jap 360 ages ago so it would be even cheaper now, and I'd definately recommend the Blue Dragon core combo thing for anyone that likes RPGs and wants to import. You can swap your hard drive between boxes and I wish I had done that.

Im a Manatee
12-25-2006, 06:56 PM
Kaens, so I could just buy a core and bring my harddrive and account between? Excellent!!

Also, for levels of English compatibilty on any 360 game sold by Play-Asia, visit this link.

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-00-3-xbox360_compatibility_guide-49-en.html

A lot of Continental European or American based games have english.

graemelunn
12-25-2006, 08:09 PM
Thanks guys, much appreciated. :drunk

Zef
12-25-2006, 09:14 PM
I've checked out that little chart (kind of confusing, though it may be) alot of the Japanese/Asian exclusive games have no English support but how difficult is it to play them even with the language barrier?

Importing a Japanese machine is an option, but I don't think I'd splash out is all of my games came in Japanese, even poor translations would be less torturous (if that is a word (if it isn't I just made it into one)) and I wouldn't buy a new machine just for Tetris, unless it was really good tetris.

Kaens
12-26-2006, 12:49 AM
Kaens, so I could just buy a core and bring my harddrive and account between? Excellent!!

Yes that's what I've been told from friends. I personally imported a premium system so I've never tried before. Although I have been wanting to move everything to one hard drive now so I can sell one of the 20gb drives before the larger ones come out and they are worthless. The only thing I would loose is some of the themes and gamerpics that came loaded onto it. It will not even let me move those, which is a shame because I really liked the N3 theme.

Therion
12-26-2006, 02:53 AM
Just MAKE SURE you check what version the games are. Though Japan and some other other Asian countries are in the NTSC-J region, the Japanese versions often have the English stripped from them.