PDA

View Full Version : Achievement Awards

Shelton
05-31-2009, 06:55 AM
This is a minor issue I have with the achievement awards given out at the start of the year.

As you would be aware, there are quite a few categories which are contested. One in particular makes little, to no sense though, in my opinion.

"Best Publisher for Achievements"

The publisher doesn't decide what the achievements are. The development team does.

Why should we give the publisher the credit and accolades for these achievements, when they had no part in creating them?

I suggest we either get rid of that category altogether, or have it co-exist with;

"Best Developer for Achievements."

In the intial stage where potential candidates were being nominated, there was quite a bit of confusion amongst the community.

For example, many voted Valve for L4D. A developer. Yes they did decide on the achievement list, but EA was the publisher. Should EA really be awarded for Valve's achievement list?

This is just something that has irked me for awhile. Not a huge deal, but I believe the award should be reconsidered for next year.

dakisbac
05-31-2009, 10:17 AM
I think that award for was the publisher that released the most games with good achievement lists. While it is the devs that made the achievements, the devs are different for every game that Activison (as an example) releases.

Shelton
05-31-2009, 10:54 AM
I understand that. Activision has games running the whole gamut, from Music/Rhythm to racing. Shooters to family. Achievement lists both good and bad.

Generally, developers tend to be more consistent with their genre's and their achievement lists. Therefore, the voting process is alot easier. I can vote for Valve knowing they released L4D and The Orange Box. Or Rare with Viva Pinata and Banjo Kazooie.

A vote for Activision needs to encompass the entirety of their releases.

Not saying Activision did actually publish these, but for the purpose of my example lets say both Avatar and Bioshock were published by Activision.
I love Bioshock's list, but hate Avatars. If my vote were to be based upon this one games list, which is my favourite, why not exclude the publisher and instead go for the developer?

Whichever publisher wins the award has no bearing on me. I do not say, "oh that's an Activision game, their achievement lists are always good." No publisher has a blemish free resume, so to speak.
However, I am more inclined to follow certain developers, who time and time again prove that they put thought into their achievements and actually care about them.

I am perplexed as to why we reward the publisher and not the developers who created the achievements.