PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Warrior Guide

Sm1ttySm1t
06-01-2009, 01:37 PM
The Shadow Warrior (SW) has been labeled as the 'easiest class to play' because of its high Strength (STR), Vitality (VIT), and skills he has at his disposal.

I'm going to try to create a guide for new players to give an idea of how to play, where to focus Combat Arts (CA), which skills to pick up, and the differences in builds.

First thing's first, there is no WRONG way to build a character. Some skills obviously are better at certain scenarios than other builds, but ideally, you build a character YOU want to play. Have fun. If you hate your character, you may quit the game and the Sacred 2 community suffers another loss. We don't want that.

What is a Shadow Warrior?
Quite simply, you are a the front lines, the damage dealer, and the caster. You can specialize in one of those, or spread yourself out and be a novice in all. You have very good damage output in melee, some good spells (though the # of spells you have is minimal), and an ability to summon minions to do your dirty work.

The Shadow Warrior-a mighty weapon in battle! Enslaved and trained by the High Elves, he excels at melee fighting. They turned him into an elite warrior following only one burning ambition: Victory in battle! He died on the battlefield but was brought back to life from his eternal slumber.Now, he travels between the realm of the dead and the world of the living.

Is a Shadow Warrior for me?
If you are new to the game, or have issues staying alive early on -- then yes. You have high armor ratings, great vitality/strength, and the ability to wear some of the heaviest armor in the game with minimal penalties.

How should I build my Shadow Warrior?
Again, build him the way YOU want to build him, but for efficiency and deadliness (is that a word?) most people agree that a straight 50/50 STR/VIT build or 100% VIT is the way to go. I prefer the 50/50 myself, but people have also dabbled with some of the spell powers for becoming a summoner.

What should my SW do?
Again, he should do whatever you want him to do. The three trees (discussed later) will break down what you can do, how to efficiently do it, and how to maximize your output.

Sm1ttySm1t
06-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Combat Arts (CA)
A SW CA selection is quite good, considering a "tank" character is usually limited to defense, vitality, and buffs. The CA's make you a viable option for doing damage, though you DO have to get in the face of enemy to execute most of them.

I’m not going to give a description of EVERY CA in each tree, but I will list them.
The Shadow Warrior CA’s are broken down into three Aspects: Death Warrior, Malevolent Champion, and Astral Lord.

Death Warrior
This is the brute strength tree. No magic is involved as you swing your hammer, or stab your sword through enemies.
Demonic Blow
Grim Resilience (Buff)
Rousing Command
Ruinous Onslaught
Scything Sweep

Malevolent Champion
Instead of strength, this tree uses agile, magic driven attacks to defeat their foes.
Frenzied Rampage
Belligerent Vault
Augmenting Guidon
Killing Spree
Reflective Emanation (Buff)

Atral Lord
Magic is the name of this game. You weave spells, call forth minions, and control a substantial army
Spectral Hand
Skeletal Fortification
Rallied Souls
Shadow Veil
Nether Allegiance(Buff)

What I suggest is that you do not eat any of the CA Runes. The reason for this is because it will increase your regen times for each CA and you don't want high regen times. I am currently level 28 and have EVERYTHING (buffs the exception) at <10 runes eaten, and even @ 10, it's too much. Most people agree that you shouldn't eat any, and instead socket them into arms and armor and use +skills items to get your max up and avoid regen times. It is a community decision that .5-1.0 second cooldowns are your goal. 5-10-20 second cooldowns hinder you greatly, especially in later difficulties.

So which skills do I use?
Lots of people have lots of suggestions. Some say to take a focus in all 3 CA trees, some say only 2, some say only 1. I have a focus in Death Warrior and Malevolent Champion as those are the two trees I use the most.

Also, if you are planning on having high armor/defense, I suggest Armor Lore (shield lore, if you want to sword & board, too). Armor lore decreases the amount you are encumbered and increases your bonus from armor.

Concentration is a must for any class. It helps with cool downs of CA’s, and allows for the use of up to 3 buffs at once.
Combat Discipline increases damage and improves regen for CA’s.

Malevolent/Death Warrior Focus – Improves regen and CA level for the respective CA.

Armor Lore - Improves resists, increases maximum item level without penalties, and decreases regeneration penalty from armors.

Toughness – Improves resists and provides minimal % damage mitigation.

General Skills
These are the skills I have stayed away from. In my view, these make things “easier” for you, yet don’t increase your character exponentially like some more centralized skills.

Things like Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Bargaining, Riding, etc just don’t appeal to me. Sure, it’d be nice to be able to add items into sockets MYSELF, but overall I’d rather have Sword Lore or Shield Lore than Riding or Bargaining.

Sm1ttySm1t
06-01-2009, 01:38 PM
Shadow Warrior Builds

The glory of the SW is that he can specialize in combat, spells, and summoning. He excels at fighting, but if done correctly, he is a capable caster/necromancer.

Death Warrior Build
This is focused around the Death Warrior CA tree. With your Grim Resilience Buff active you will get a major HP and WP boost. This allows for tanking of melee and magic bosses. A Battle should start with you screaming your butt off with Rousing Command. This will increase your attack values considerably for a set amount of time. Now, depending on your enemy you can do three things. First, if you are a fair distance from your enemy, use Ruinous Onslaught. Not only does this increase your defense, but it increases your speed and allows you to close faster. If there is only one enemy, you should use Demonic Blow to one-shot, or reduce his HP dramatically. If there is more than one enemy, a Scything Sweep should do the trick.

Malevolent Champion Build
This is turning out to be my favorite tree, as it has more opportunity to give team-wide buffs and works great in Co-op. With the Reflective Emanation Buff active you have a chance of reflecting enemies attacks back at them. This buff, however, puts a massive hit on your CA regeneration times. The battle should start, normally, with the SW placing an Augmenting Guidon. This will plant a flag down that will increase attack and defense values (and later on heal players) for every party member within range. Killing Spree should be next because it will help build up some damage (per hit) for one mighty blow. Next you have 1 of 2 options. You can use Belligerent Vault to jump into the midst of things and do a small area blast to all enemies, or (my favorite) use Frenzied Rampage to land some devastating blows on multiple enemies. With a fast cool down, this skill is amazing.

Astral Lord Build
This is our caster tree. I haven’t dabbled much in this, but I know the basics. The buff here is Nether Allegiance – this will cause Spectral Soldiers to accompany the SW and fight until they are defeated. It takes a lot of skill points to increase the # of soldiers from 2 to anything higher (I assume). The battle should start with Skeletal Fortification which will fire arrows at any enemies in range. Next a Spectral Hand spell should do some major damage and as you use some melee skills and a couple enemies have fallen, cast Rallied Souls to resurrect some enemies to fight for you. This tree is limited because the only real ranged “spell” we have is Spectral Hand, but the mix of this and a few key melee attacks make it quite powerful.

If you are using these builds, you have probably put points into Death Warrior/Malevolent Champion/Astral Lord Focus, as well. You may have questions about where to specialize and when to put the points into the trees. Your play style will determine your build. Do you play solo and boss grind? Do you quest over and over? These things attribute to how to build your player. I will be playing online often. My teammates will probably be casters or ranged fighters, so I want a build that will keep my defense up, but offer some sort of benefit to them, in the case that I can’t keep the horde of demons focused on me.

Hot Juicy Pie
06-01-2009, 02:36 PM
The Shadow Warrior (SW) has been labeled as the 'easiest class to play'.

There is nothing easy about being OP teehee

But i look forward to reading your views on the SW, I intend on making one when i finish with my dryad

Sm1ttySm1t
06-01-2009, 02:39 PM
I'm still new to it myself, but I played the PC version for a bit, have read TONS on the class, the game, and the mechanics of it all.

I'm sure I'll be editing my info once or twice before I'm done with the character, anyway.

Gen Ed E Lee
06-01-2009, 02:41 PM
If you want some help writing hit me up. I've got a 59 that was my first character and I still play on him now and then. So I can try to give some general tips up to 59 and Gold.

Hot Juicy Pie
06-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Yea I'm tempted to write one up on my MG dryad build cuz people are always like "WTF how are you shooting 6 arrows a second?"

Sm1ttySm1t
06-01-2009, 02:56 PM
If you want some help writing hit me up. I've got a 59 that was my first character and I still play on him now and then. So I can try to give some general tips up to 59 and Gold.

I might take you up on that. Right now, I want to get the basics out so people don't end up destroying their character and 30 levels in decide to scrap it.

I'll get more specialized with builds and whatnot a bit later.

Gen Ed E Lee
06-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Yea I'm tempted to write one up on my MG dryad build cuz people are always like "WTF how are you shooting 6 arrows a second?"

Lol I feel you. I'm at 4 per sec on my 39. However I guess I could get it even higher if I mod my other skill, get it's regen time down, and then put that in the combo also. Then it'll be like 20 arrows per second. Everthing dies!!

Andreas_loel
06-01-2009, 03:44 PM

WTF HOW U SHOT AROW LOL?

No but seriously gimmeh!

Gen Ed E Lee
06-01-2009, 04:48 PM
You actually need to "eat" one rune to start getting bonuses from the + in your armor(as far as I know, plus it doesn't hurt to have everthing available to use and the regen times from 1 rune are easily off-set by taking your focus and concenration). I'd suggest only eating one of each and none more(unless you're going for the Shadow Veil SW which I'm pretty sure you'll get to so I won't hi-jack this thread to much)

Also armor lore is a nice skill for all classes to have because of the reduced regen time from armor, increased armor, and ability to wear higher level armor.

*Edit 1*

If you plan on going for xx/shield you could also take your appropriate weapon you plan on specializing in along with shield lore. Ex: Sword Lore or Hefted Weapons.

If you don't plan on doing xx/shield there's also 2-Handed which you can still take your specialization and Duel Wield.

Duel Wield there's arguments for and against taking your specialization weapon but here's a compelling argument for: http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Twin_Boneslicers

Sm1ttySm1t
06-01-2009, 04:57 PM
You actually need to "eat" one rune to start getting bonuses from the + in your armor(as far as I know, plus it doesn't hurt to have everthing available to use and the regen times from 1 rune are easily off-set by taking your focus and concenration). I'd suggest only eating one of each and none more(unless you're going for the Shadow Veil SW which I'm pretty sure you'll get to so I won't hi-jack this thread to much)

Also armor lore is a nice skill for all classes to have because of the reduced regen time from armor, increased armor, and ability to wear higher level armor.

*Edit 1*

If you plan on going for xx/shield you could also take your appropriate weapon you plan on specializing in along with shield lore. Ex: Sword Lore or Hefted Weapons.

If you don't plan on doing xx/shield there's also 2-Handed which you can still take your specialization and Duel Wield.

Duel Wield there's arguments for and against taking your specialization weapon but here's a compelling argument for: http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Twin_Boneslicers

correct, I have 25 in tactics, 11 in swords -- I have a hammer (3 star) that has MUCH better stats than my 2-star sword -- but my skills in swords make that a much more viable option.

Andreas_loel
06-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Is it worth picking Blacksmithing as my last skill or should i go with the focus/lore whatever? i specced a lil bit wrong in the beginning of the game but my char still dish out decent dmg, i would like to have something else then + dmg that actually gives me more to play around with

Sm1ttySm1t
06-02-2009, 02:03 PM
Is it worth picking Blacksmithing as my last skill or should i go with the focus/lore whatever? i specced a lil bit wrong in the beginning of the game but my char still dish out decent dmg, i would like to have something else then + dmg that actually gives me more to play around with

I want to stress that you CANNOT break your character because...its your character.

If you want blacksmithing and it will make your life easier away from towns, by all means take it. If you want something more useful, pick a weapon lore or something you know will help you in a specialized manner.

Gen Ed E Lee
06-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Well blacksmithing actually allows you to socket rings and amulets into one slot lower and have a chance to not break the items that are in your equipment when you remove others.

Sm1ttySm1t
06-02-2009, 02:35 PM
I've finished the preliminary guide...as I play more I will expand more. I am currently level 35 (nowhere near the max potential of a Shadow Warrior) so things will get changed and deleted I'm sure.

Sm1ttySm1t
06-02-2009, 02:49 PM
Well blacksmithing actually allows you to socket rings and amulets into one slot lower and have a chance to not break the items that are in your equipment when you remove others.

I have the blacksmith remove rings/amulets all the time and haven't had an item break -- is this a glitch or am I lucky?

Gen Ed E Lee
06-02-2009, 04:47 PM
I have the blacksmith remove rings/amulets all the time and haven't had an item break -- is this a glitch or am I lucky?

When there's more than one item it Should break the other items when you remove one. So if this applies to you you somehow found a glitch or are Extremely lucky.

ExtremeGamer
06-02-2009, 09:08 PM
So, with this whole thing of not eating the CA runes...does that mean now im screwed later on??? Like its great knowing now on it, i mean im on lvl 28, and its bad enough with the whole save glitch thing, i lost my save while ago. I guess ill have to just have to forge them from now on. And does that mean you learn from them as if you ate them???

Sm1ttySm1t
06-03-2009, 12:22 AM
So, with this whole thing of not eating the CA runes...does that mean now im screwed later on??? Like its great knowing now on it, i mean im on lvl 28, and its bad enough with the whole save glitch thing, i lost my save while ago. I guess ill have to just have to forge them from now on. And does that mean you learn from them as if you ate them???
You arent screwed, but it makes your cooldowns longer -- people I've seen with "perfect" SW builds have like .6 second cooldowns so they can spam demonic blow then furious rampage over and over and over and it deals MASSIVE damage.

squid5580
06-03-2009, 12:28 AM
If you forge them instead of eating them it has 1 benefit. You will increase the level of the CA without increasing the regen time of that CA. More bang for less time.

Sm1ttySm1t
06-03-2009, 12:42 AM
If you forge them instead of eating them it has 1 benefit. You will increase the level of the CA without increasing the regen time of that CA. More bang for less time.

Right, that's the point of not eating CA runes. Instead you use weapons/armor/jewelry with +skills and +CA's to increase it without the cool down penalties associated with eating them.

So you eat 3 or 4 runes, have a cooldown of 1.0 seconds, and with gear done correctly you have a level 15 or 20 skill. Makes for some major damage.

a_correa4
06-03-2009, 02:43 AM
Man, thats alot of info.....whew....lol
Thanks

ExtremeGamer
06-03-2009, 04:18 AM
Well thats a relief, i'll just equip them to weapons and gear and so on. But, i do have to say in a way im glad i lost my save in the long hall. My character wasnt as tough and setup right as mine is now, i couldnt even take down that Kobold Chieftain and i was on lvl 39 it was a joke..lol. Now i killed him on lvl 20-22 somewhere in there without any probs.

Sm1ttySm1t
06-03-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm just starting the silver campaign and I have a couple skills where I've eaten 4-6 runes, and my two buffs are at 10 eaten...so It's a minor setback, but not to the point where I feel he is unplayable.

Andreas_loel
06-04-2009, 05:13 AM
Somehow i managed to eat 25 Neither allegiance runes back when i forgot how to get the modify points >< To fix that i also managed to fuck up and take lore instead of focus in that tree so i have like a 16s recharge time on my death warrior tree atm... I assume i should just go with focus for that tree as the last one instead of bs

Sm1ttySm1t
06-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Somehow i managed to eat 25 Neither allegiance runes back when i forgot how to get the modify points >< To fix that i also managed to fuck up and take lore instead of focus in that tree so i have like a 16s recharge time on my death warrior tree atm... I assume i should just go with focus for that tree as the last one instead of bs

I'm finding that concentration is a GODSEND for a skill, too...helps reduce regen times for everything -- though to answer your inquiry, yes, focus would help you in your predicament, also.

Andreas_loel
06-05-2009, 11:33 AM
Fucked up again and picked death warrior focus i think >< so i assume im gonna start spamming points into concentration soon >< Feels kinda depressing to know the char is a piece of shit after playing it for 52 hours

Sm1ttySm1t
06-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Fucked up again and picked death warrior focus i think >< so i assume im gonna start spamming points into concentration soon >< Feels kinda depressing to know the char is a piece of shit after playing it for 52 hours

I have DW and the Malevolent focus -- those help reduce the cooldowns of the appropriate skills. If you can still stay alive in Niob difficulty then he isn't ruined.

Hell, worst case you can dump an assload of Blacksmith into him and make him your forge character.

Andreas_loel
06-06-2009, 05:49 AM
Well staying alive is not that big of a problem with the pot spammage :P i got around 1400 hp pots some parts of the game they are worthless and not needed and then shit hits the fan and im into spam mode again

Well im still enjoying the char so ill just keep on going :) its just the perfect build bs that makes me regret the char :P

Sm1ttySm1t
06-08-2009, 01:39 PM
We all spam them -- I went through 48 of them this morning doing the Gold "Nameless Guardians".

Andreas_loel
06-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Ive never had that much spamming needed on bosses on my sw, but i killed the last boss this morning with my dryad and got raped :/ went trough like 70+ pots that fucking fight...

After getting some points into concentration and everything else my Demonic blow has gone down from a whooping 17s cooldown to 9s so its getting better :) (to be on topic)