PDA

View Full Version : First repair experience (so far)

sweatdog
06-01-2009, 02:25 PM
I just sent in my 360 that I purchased for my family this Christmas. It recently started having a problem reading most of my game discs (I'm guessing a bad disc drive). The process of setting up the repair online was super smooth, as was the process of printing a prepaid shipping label. I shipped it out Tuesday, they received it in Texas on Thursday, and as of Sunday they show the console repaired and ready to ship out today (Monday). Either the repair was very simple, or they didn't do anything to my console. Obviously receiving the system should tell the tale. Has anyone had a similar repair? Did it get repaired this quickly? Was it fixed or replaced? Should I be worried?

gamerguy69
06-01-2009, 03:24 PM
Have you checked the status online? It would show a different serial number if they are sending you a replacement.

CcAaRrSsOoNn3
06-01-2009, 05:11 PM
Mine took about 2 1/2 weeks to get back

A ZombieTwinkie
06-01-2009, 05:43 PM
Yea, mine took a little over two weeks to get mine back. Then again, mine RRoD'd on me. Maybe they did just simply repair it. But theres always if you didnt take everything off, they would have sent it back to you without repairing it.

InsaneKiller911
06-01-2009, 06:57 PM
i had the same problem. my xbox wouldnt read my games. i sent it in and got a refurbished one back in a week and its been working fine for a year and a half

sweatdog
06-01-2009, 07:02 PM
The serial number looks to be the same as I remember it (I'll check it when I get home, later), so it seems that they didn't send me another system. The only thing I'm really worried about is that since it was so quick, no repair was done. I took off all of the accessories and my HDD. Should I have removed the factory faceplate? (Is it even removable?) While I do wonder if the system may have worked for them (Culdcept was about the only one of about 6 discs I tried that would work), it was getting pretty bad those last few days. I do think the problem was common, and probably a simple thing to repair, so I probably have nothing to worry about. I should be happy that I'm getting it back as quickly as I am.

InsaneKiller911
06-01-2009, 07:12 PM
well if you told them it only happens to a few games then they should look into the issue. also you will get your faceplate and everything back that you sent it in with

sweatdog
06-05-2009, 01:04 PM
I've gotten the system back. It reads the discs perfectly and all is good. Interestingly, they included instructions to reconnect your controllers, and to redownload anything purchased from the marketplace. I'll have to ask my stepson who was the first to try out the system when it got back to see if he had reset the controllers, but the downloaded content seemed accessible offline and by all users, so I assume those instructions were in the case that the console was replaced. It seems that they repaired my console, since the serial numbers are the same.

Overall, I was pleased with the time (1 1/2 weeks), and the hassle free and simple process of getting the warranty repair done. Of course, it would be nice if the console was manufactured to be more reliable...

On a side note, I had purchased Guitar Hero: Metallica just before sending in my system for repair, so I didn't open it until yesterday. When my stepson opened it he called me to tell me that the game disc had been replaced by a blank CD-R! This is not the first time that I've bought a game from Target, where someone had stolen the game and re-shrink wrapped it. Fortunately, the people at Target had seen this before and gave me no hassles at exchanging it.

cobratodd
06-05-2009, 01:11 PM
sent xbox 2 times for rrod 2nd time i got it i got a free faceplate i never sent them any with it

Jethrow
06-05-2009, 04:30 PM
as ive said on other threads, the average for me has been about 3 weeks, i've sent my machine in 5 times in 3 years. I had to send my machine in once at christmas, and not only did i get a normal 1 month free, but i also recieved a free wireless controller to my surprise. The last time i sent mine in was on may 31st, and i recieved my new machine in 4 days, YES, on june 3rd. I still can't belive it, and so far its the quietest machine i've ever had. No complaints yet.

Gackt
06-05-2009, 05:25 PM
I have had good exp with having my consoles fixed, getting them back quickly and fixed.

There was 1 time recently where I sent in my console because of an E74 error, and got it back and within a week it gave me the same errror, but since it was just fixed MS had it shipped "priority overnight" and I had it back within 2 days.

Gackt
06-05-2009, 05:28 PM
The serial number looks to be the same as I remember it (I'll check it when I get home, later), so it seems that they didn't send me another system. The only thing I'm really worried about is that since it was so quick, no repair was done. I took off all of the accessories and my HDD. Should I have removed the factory faceplate? (Is it even removable?) While I do wonder if the system may have worked for them (Culdcept was about the only one of about 6 discs I tried that would work), it was getting pretty bad those last few days. I do think the problem was common, and probably a simple thing to repair, so I probably have nothing to worry about. I should be happy that I'm getting it back as quickly as I am.

I dont think it takes long at all anymore for them to fix things due to the fact that so many 360's have the same issues, they know exactly what is wrong and how to fix it quickly :)
I had a 360 arrive, be fixed, and ship back to me in the same day once lol.

Jethrow
06-05-2009, 05:47 PM
I dont think it takes long at all anymore for them to fix things due to the fact that so many 360's have the same issues, they know exactly what is wrong and how to fix it quickly :)
I had a 360 arrive, be fixed, and ship back to me in the same day once lol.

From what i gather, at least in canada, they don't repair them, they just replace it with a refurbished one. If they had to repair each persons machine and return your specific machine to you, it would take forever based on how many the repair depot recieves daily. All my machines have been different.

iKiddo
06-05-2009, 06:06 PM
It was either:

A) A fast Repair
B) Lack of consoles that need repairing.

From the sounds of it .. I'd go with A as they probably only cleaned the laser.

Gackt
06-05-2009, 06:24 PM
From what i gather, at least in canada, they don't repair them, they just replace it with a refurbished one. If they had to repair each persons machine and return your specific machine to you, it would take forever based on how many the repair depot recieves daily. All my machines have been different.

I have gotten the same consoles back everytime so far, I know because I mark them to see before I send them out :D lol