PDA

View Full Version : Retail Games on demand!

Private_Joker
06-01-2009, 08:16 PM
This is huge! I'm going to be so broke. If you don't have a 120GB harddrive..I'd get one by Fall. :p

Microsoft's E3 Keynote was so jam-packed the company decided to wait until afterwards to announce what might be the biggest new feature of them all: on-demand access to full retail games. The service will launch in fall with 30 titles to start, and new games will be added weekly, with pricing to match retail. The best part? Purchases can be made directly with a credit card, no pesky Xbox points required. More pics of the system after the break.

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/06/msft-e3-2009-keynote0478-rm-eng.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/06/msft-e3-2009-keynote0473-rm-eng.jpg

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/media/2009/06/msft-e3-2009-keynote0476-rm-eng.jpg

Rolyatkcinmai
06-01-2009, 08:24 PM
It's an excellent concept and something the PC has been used to for 3 or 4 years now via Steam (even the Playstation Network has several full retail titles available) but I'll be sticking to boxed copies. Unless they release a 300+GB drive, this isn't going to be very friendly to people who buy every game like I do.

[Waggly Bean]
06-01-2009, 08:29 PM
This really works in Microsoft's favour more than ours - it allows them to control all the pricing easily. I'm sure we'll always be able to find boxed copies of the same games for cheaper, so it's not really that exciting IMO.

Also, unless you're desperate for physical space on your shelves/ in your cupboards, I'd take a hard copy any day. It looks nicer in your collection, and if your 360 red rings, at least you know you can take that disc and play it in another 360 without having to worry about licensing issues...

CcAaRrSsOoNn3
06-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Well hell yeah. Very nice for us working the 40+ hour work week then having to stand in line to pick up a game. Now I don't mind the lines for Maddens etc. but some games I would like to just pay and play. Great feature. Another reason to crap on Sony.

Jeez, never have to leave the house much any more. Online ordering, Online gaming, now Online game buying.

xI DaR3DeViL Ix
06-01-2009, 08:30 PM
Not sure what to think. I would rather have the boxed item but if it means we see stuff like Japanese games brought onto all consoles through this then its going to be cool.

Got a 50GB HD with my new 360 a month or two ago and after seeing Microsoft say they favoured the 50GB HD consoles and slowly produce less 120GB HD's this is a little annoying lol.

bobbowski
06-01-2009, 08:36 PM
Waggly I think you hit it perfectly. With the amount of failures and issues this console has had and then the way they handle their licensing this is a bad idea for gamers.

On top of that, if you buy a game disc a friend can borrow it and/or you can sell it. Soft copies do not allow either option. This day and age with so many gamers utilizing GameStop and other gaming stores to purchase games and then sell them after finishing and with the game rental companies going strong, I don't see this thing going to well.

Now, if Microsoft allowed me to rent the games and download them straight to my box, I would be all over that in a heart beat!!!

Gackt
06-01-2009, 08:38 PM
To bad they dont let you rent games, that would be great... but I rarely buy games so this doesnt really mean much to me....Really great feature for those who do though.

Twilight Star
06-01-2009, 08:40 PM
suppose we need a credit card and we can't use ms points :(

Pashos
06-01-2009, 08:41 PM
I guess this is cool. I prefer having a hard copy of all my games but maybe I would be able to download games that I can't get where I live.

Rolyatkcinmai
06-01-2009, 08:47 PM
I guess this is cool. I prefer having a hard copy of all my games but maybe I would be able to download games that I can't get where I live.

Doubtful. If it's similar to the way it works on PSN, it will still be region specific unless you have another account in a different nationality (in which case you would need that country's credit card address).

This isn't really anything new. Steam has been doing it for about 5 years, and Playstation Network has several titles that are full retail (Warhawk, SOCOM, etc).

Twilight Star
06-01-2009, 08:58 PM
i've just thought what about instruction booklets?

[Waggly Bean]
06-01-2009, 09:15 PM
i've just thought what about instruction booklets?

Presumably , they'll be a pdf type file with the download. Which is a bit rubbish really.... maybe you'll be able to access it in-game from the guide...

Bronxs
06-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Can you buy those game whit microsoft points? Just wondering... Thanks!

Iregore
06-01-2009, 09:37 PM
Can you buy those game whit microsoft points? Just wondering... Thanks!

Based on the screenshots, no, only actual money.

Kairi
06-01-2009, 09:53 PM
This seems awesome! Can't wait for this feature to be released!

Cheezbrgr
06-01-2009, 10:01 PM
I'll stick with retail copies...i like my disc :)

mark23
06-01-2009, 10:12 PM
While this seems like a good feature i think i'll stick to retail stores for buying games, my main reason for this is the fact that once you will have bought games off this service you can't trade them back like you can in retail stores & i bet my life this being a microsoft service that if someone were to download the wrong game it would be non-refundable once again unlike in retail stores.

ToXiCRalN
06-01-2009, 10:18 PM
This is going to be sweet. I don't have to go to Gamestop anymore!

GhOsT SLaYeR
06-01-2009, 11:34 PM
Looks Sweet, good idea..

Bronxs
06-01-2009, 11:42 PM
Does anyone knows when this is coming out?

Der Fuhrer
06-01-2009, 11:46 PM
This would make getting games on release day a lot easier but even with a 120 GB HDD you will run out of space quickly.

Xterm1n8or
06-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Unless the games are a lot cheaper than hard copies, which is very unlikely, then I see this as pretty pointless. I buy most of my games off the internet, they are posted though my door a few days after ordering. I don't have to do anything, and I get a hard copy.

They would have to sell new games for 20 or less if I were to use this, I only pay about 30 for a new title as it is, and I can sell it on when I've finished with it.

Gackt
06-01-2009, 11:59 PM
This isn't really anything new. Steam has been doing it for about 5 years, and Playstation Network has several titles that are full retail (Warhawk, SOCOM, etc).

It's an excellent concept and something the PC has been used to for 3 or 4 years now via Steam (even the Playstation Network has several full retail titles available)

Steam is complete crap though... I bought a game to play not knowing Id need steam..so I get it..and it sits there telling me its updating and will take 2 hours before I can even play the game...let it finish only for it to tell me the exact same thing lol. While it may not be new, definitely a good new addition to the 360..
(P.S. Im sure Steam works fine...just speaking from my 1 bad exp with it)

Question I do have about it though, when I bought a few pc games via digital download I got a cd key/activation code for it...that way if I for any reason uninstall or need to reinstall the game all I need to do is prove that I have it by putting in my cd key and redownloading it.. Any idea if MS plans on doing anything along those lines so you dont have to buy the same game multiple times?... maybe I need the room on my HD for other games so I delete the ones I have bought and downloaded...will I have to rebuy those games?

A Meat Pie
06-02-2009, 01:38 AM
FUCK YEAH! But the question is, will this be out for Australia? I don't think so.

limination
06-02-2009, 01:47 AM
I like my discs more. Cool idea though, too bad Steam did this like 5 years ago :P

EOU Findub
06-02-2009, 02:14 AM
I'll stick with retail copies...i like my disc :)

Hit it right on the head. I would much rather have a hard copy rather than fill up my HDD with games that I can't take with me.

Like everyone is saying, the only reason I would even think about using this service is for games that are either extremely rare or games I cannot find in my specific country.

Pixo
06-02-2009, 02:31 AM
I'm sure this is going to be a really successful feature for people who like to stay inside.. but I'll stick with retail stores.

gatorbait
06-02-2009, 08:36 AM
It's an excellent concept and something the PC has been used to for 3 or 4 years now via Steam (even the Playstation Network has several full retail titles available) but I'll be sticking to boxed copies. Unless they release a 300+GB drive, this isn't going to be very friendly to people who buy every game like I do.

You summed it up all there.

It's a great service to provide but the prices will be pretty fixed. I like buying games used and on sale with the option to sell them when I'm done. Not to mention I don't have to devote large chunks of my harddrive just to store games themselves. Even if I did have the 120gb, I could see it filling up quickly. Not a bad move by MS but it's one that just isn't for me.

Waggaz
06-02-2009, 08:51 AM
FUCK YEAH! But the question is, will this be out for Australia? I don't think so.

I definitly hope so mate.

KIDDRAGON67
06-02-2009, 09:24 AM
another reason to get a credit card....it better be AUS too

sinista12
06-02-2009, 08:44 PM
I'll keep my hard copy its cheaper and doesn't take up space. I like looking at my collection.

Glowin Smurff
06-02-2009, 09:05 PM
i too like hard copy games, screw OnD.

N-Forced
06-03-2009, 02:45 AM
i've just thought what about instruction booklets? most games nowadays barely have an instruction booklet. especially ea games, one of the need for speed games i got only has 5 pages, 1 page is the introduction, 2 pages are the controller layout and the last one is credits.

antnie
06-03-2009, 02:53 AM
I would still rather have the games on a disc. I don't see the point of paying $20 for mass effect when you can get it for $15 and you get a disc.

Glowin Smurff
06-03-2009, 03:02 AM
this would mean the end of renting or borrowing your friends games....don't forget that people.

GhOsT SLaYeR
06-03-2009, 03:06 AM
^ um borrowing from friends free, Download costs $$ what ius better...