PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to get rid of the ROD for a long period of time?

puffy daddy
06-02-2009, 06:44 PM
I want to mod my xbox, but i got a problem... it got the ROD about 4months ago. My friend bought an ebook called "xbox fix" or something like that. In the ebook it says that you just have to use a heatgun and done... Is that really possible??? and how long is my xbox going to live without a ROD????
If you want to take a look at the ebook just tell me

puffy daddy

sry, my english is not the best xD

MadD4mon
06-02-2009, 07:13 PM
I sincerely doubt that this method would work. Oo
Usually, you get a RROD because of high temperature inside the box. Fighting fire with fire wouldn't work here. I suggest that you send it to Microsoft for repairing.

Glowin Smurff
06-02-2009, 07:13 PM
lol waste of money that ebook. it might fix it for a few months.

Muhnamana
06-02-2009, 07:17 PM
I heard putting your Xbox in the oven works just as good....LOL! I don't think the heatgun would work.

bobbowski
06-02-2009, 08:15 PM
I disagree.

If you have the true RROD then you would want to fight fire with fire. The real RROD comes from your box "overheating" and the solder on the board breaking after intense heating and cooling. If you were to reheat the solder and reconnect it, it would fix the problem. For how long, I don't know. What I do know is you can prolong your XBox's life. When my first XBox died from the RROD, I used the towel method and it allowed me to continue to play for almost a week before the RROD came back. After about 3 or 4 times of using the towel method to "fix" the problem, I went ahead and took it back to Best Buy for a new one. The real problem is the cooling of the system, so unless that book of yours has a trick to improve that you will continue to have issues.

Pure Efficiency
06-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Just send it in to Microsoft, they usually send it back to you in under two weeks.

Wii187
06-02-2009, 09:17 PM
One of the main causes of RRoD is the warping of the motherboard caused by the constant heat of the CPU over time. Heating it to reattached the solder is just a temporary fix.

Use Microsoft's 3 year warranty on RRoD system.

MadD4mon
06-02-2009, 09:22 PM
@bobbowski

That's right but just using a heatgun on the broken Xbox won't fix it. Don't you need some skills to fix that molten solder and reconnect it correctly to the board? It didn't seem to me that he was aware of this when I read his question.

martnic
06-03-2009, 09:24 AM
If you can send you're 360 back to MS.

You can use a Heat Gun to fix a RRoD, but you NEED to know exactly what you're doing.
Using a Heat Gun is just a DIY option for a professional Reflow station that MS repair centre's have.
In the wrong hands you can literally toast you're 360 if you don't know what your doing.

If you can't send it to MS, use this fix first from Xbox-experts...
http://xbox-experts.com/e/tutorial.php?n=hybrid

I've used the above fix on my 360 4-5 months ago and it's still going strong.

If that does'nt work, here's a list of tutorials they provid for reflowing and other stuff...
http://xbox-experts.com/e/tutorials.php

Or post on there forums to find someone close by to repair your 360.