PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft launches Project Natal

GreaseMonkeyGB
06-02-2009, 07:24 PM
My dad found this in his newspaper, it's about a controller-free games system that Microsoft has announced for the xbox 360.

***THIS CAME FROM 'THE TELEGRAPH' NEWSPAPER*** :

Players will no longer need a control pad or joystick to control on-screen video game (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/technologyreviews/videogamereviewsandpreviews/) action, after Microsoft launched “Project Natal”, a motion-sensing control system for its Xbox 360 video games console.
The announcement was made as Microsoft unveiled new technology and a formidable video game line-up for the Xbox 360 (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/5424736/E3-2009-Xbox-360-exclusives.html). The device will do away with the need for a traditional control pad or joystick in favour of a high-tech camera that can pick up movement.

The sensor enables gamers to score goals by kicking at a virtual football and fire at enemies by pulling an imaginary trigger.
It uses a camera, depth sensor, microphones and special software to build a three-dimensional map of body movement. It can also respond to voice commands, directions, and a change in the player’s tone of voice.
Microsoft said that unlike some similar systems, which work by recognising specific commands, the Xbox 360 system can understand normal patterns of speech. Cameras and the development kit have been sent to third-party developers but no launch date for technology has yet been set.

“The next step in interactive entertainment is to make the controller disappear,” said Steven Speilberg, the Hollywood film director, who unveiled the new technology at E3 (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/e3-2009/), the annual electronic entertainment expo in Los Angeles.

“With this device, we’ll see games that bring everyone together through technology that actually recognises us.”
The new system is part of Microsoft’s ongoing efforts to win over so-called “casual” gamers, who have, until now, favoured the Nintendo Wii console, which uses motion sensing controllers.

Video game fans will also be able to update their Facebook (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/facebook/) status directly from their Xbox 360 console, and listen to streamed music on the device via Last.fm, a song recommendation service that enables users to build their own personalised radio stations of their favourite music.

“We are always asking ourselves how to make the TV more social,” said John Schappert, a senior vice-president at Microsoft. “By bringing Facebook, Last.fm and Twitter (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/twitter/) to the Xbox 360, we’re not oly extending the walls of your living room beyond your home to your friends in different corners of the world.

“We’re creating the definitive social network.”
The announcements came on the first day of E3, the annual video game show at which publishers and console makers show off their product line-up for the coming year.

Sony and Nintendo hold their press conferences the following day, where Sony (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/sony/) is widely expected to launch their own motion-sensing control system for the PlayStation 3, as well as a new PSP handheld games console.

I think it sounds pretty awesome ;)

MadD4mon
06-02-2009, 07:42 PM
So do people in those threads. :p

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=151044
http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=150926

InkedUp
06-02-2009, 08:08 PM
^^^Anyways. I think it looks great, just don't implement it into every game. Sounds fun to get up and interact with your games, but I so enjoy my "sit my ass on the couch" games also

Antzquad
06-02-2009, 11:39 PM
"sit my ass on the couch" games also
This is the only way it should stay!!

ReaLiStiiC
06-02-2009, 11:43 PM
Yea, Its a neat idea but i dont wanna play gears 3 while having to be suuper active at the same time :P

N-Forced
06-03-2009, 02:35 AM
i like the whole concept but the major drawback for me would be space, since i have all my stuff set up in my room i dont have a whole lot of space to be jumping around playing assassins creed or something.

ShadowKaster
06-03-2009, 02:49 AM
i can see this for only certain games...but the concept of natal is nuts.

Funny thing was I was on facebook and someone wrote "natal = skynet".
i was like..oh okay, what is this natal thing. COMPLETLEY forget about it, stumble on it on xbox.com...and say the same thing. Maybe it's true...the machines will end up taking over...ah.:uzi::boom

ShadowKaster
06-03-2009, 02:50 AM
BTW...i can completely see a star wars game for this :woop:

v_thorne
06-03-2009, 03:22 AM
Welcome to June 2nd, the day after June 1st which was the day of Microsoft's E3 spotlight...

*rolls your rock over and hands you a remote control and subscription to G4TV*

Denny Crane
06-03-2009, 04:56 AM
natal is a joke. if you think you are actually going to want to mime being a skate punk or haphazardly throw paint on a fake canvas then you are lying to yourself. and if you think that you would like it if they eventually made it for real games, like an fps, and you think that pretending to hold a gun in the air and shouting "bang bang" will be cool... then you are still lying, a small child or a loser. PS3s motion controller looked better than this (and wii for that matter) and very percise for a prototype... but even that will be another lame gimmick.

If your life long goal is to become a great mime, or your a sad, lifleless virgin (oh wait same thing lolz) then Natal is for you...

v_thorne
06-03-2009, 08:15 AM
natal is a joke. if you think you are actually going to want to mime being a skate punk or haphazardly throw paint on a fake canvas then you are lying to yourself. and if you think that you would like it if they eventually made it for real games, like an fps, and you think that pretending to hold a gun in the air and shouting "bang bang" will be cool... then you are still lying, a small child or a loser. PS3s motion controller looked better than this (and wii for that matter) and very percise for a prototype... but even that will be another lame gimmick.

If your life long goal is to become a great mime, or your a sad, lifleless virgin (oh wait same thing lolz) then Natal is for you...

You know what? Why don't you just stop downing people and what they might enjoy? Natal is a good innovation. The skate thing is great for people like me who have ankle problems and can't skate for real anymore, so I can appreciate it.
It's a nice movement in technology. The facial and voice recognition is a good feature, not a gimmick. It eliminates the needs for the cam and the headsets.

You don't have to bash something into the ground and insult people just because you think it's a huge gimmick, and it's not just for fanboys.
It's another way for game experience. It's a good step forward to virtual reality, which I always thought was something to look forward to.

It most likely won't be used for long-term play FPS games like Call of Duty. And even if it is, I'm sure they'd have you switch between a controller and Natal to your preference. I agree, holding an air gun would look retarded. But then again, using the Wiimote as a gun looks just as rediculious in my opinion. And I'm sure as hell you won't shout "bang bang" fool.

And personally, being an artist and a musician, I thought Paint Party was a pretty cool recreational thing that I'd probably do once in a while. Not the whole elephant bit, but see what I can do with the paint to make some abstract pieces.

Things that are "gimmicks" now are going to become integrated into the future consoles, so you're just going to have to deal with it and come to terms at some point in time. Everything changes, everything evolves. It's called life. It applies to species, environment, and yes even manmade things such as video games.
If they didn't change, it would be the same boring shit year after year. How fun would that be? Not very.

So what if you don't fucking like it, then don't play video games or go suck Sony's fat dick, seeing as you seem to support them so much. You're definently not God and your opinion is yours, but you can at least respect whatever others may come to enjoy. Isn't that what video games are about? Your personal enjoyment? They are entertainment after all. Not a reason to call someone a lazy, loser, mime virgin.
Sounds like you're the one with the need to get laid to be honest.

khamelion
06-03-2009, 08:56 AM

it's not like every new game will use natal, making the regular controller obsolete. natal centric games will be in the minority, however i can't put a guess how many will be controller plus natal.

your idea that miming something like skating or throwing paint is boring, sad and unrealistic. the last one can be applied to EVERY SINGLE GAME on the 360. if you want total realism, there's always iraq for your fps needs.
/rant

anyway, i'd to see some real games shown on this, to get a feel of what it can do. the demonstration showed us what could be on there, but until we see a light gun game, rpg, fps and so on, i won't get it straight away. also, they would win some brownie points if they made natal a option in a big franchise instead of being neccessary, so you can play however you want.
i'll have a laugh with some friends trying to play boxing or house of the dead and denny boy can stick to vegging out.

CyberSh3ff
06-03-2009, 09:24 AM
iv just watched the video on the dashboard about this.

it looks amazing, and commenting on the posts above they will not make every game for natal only because they know its not to everyones taste. The fighting and everything looks amazing.

lionhead have been using it and have come up with a good demo and it looks good on the video.

cant wait till its released.

cobratodd
06-03-2009, 09:39 AM
video: YouTube - Project Natal for XBOX 360

luuwat
06-03-2009, 10:12 AM
looks awesome!

cant wait for the release..but pricing........

SKIBADABOMSKI
06-04-2009, 03:18 AM
It all looks fun for the family with a big house but i wish they would show some messed up bedroom with small space and show someone smashing into walls and shit trying to do these moves (I WILL GET THAT ACHIEVEMENT DAM IT) losing their balance and crashing into the t.v. Trying to claim for broken legs and shit because of this ... still i can't wait to try it out.

EOU Findub
06-04-2009, 03:49 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2003/2458922517_09672746be.jpg

LOL!

Anyways, at this point, it is more of "I'll believe it when I see it." If it works, then a new era of gaming has been born. However, there are some games that I simply just want to play with a controller. RPGs for example would be either hellishly tedious using Natal or too simple.

It is great to see Microsoft thinking outside of the box and to see they are working on an innovative project.

v_thorne
06-04-2009, 04:33 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2003/2458922517_09672746be.jpg

You know, if you really are 51 years old, you're very immature and childish.

Crotchity and cranky ontop of that.

Thegreatest7884
06-04-2009, 05:06 AM
Natal is a huge advancement in technology. That said, I don't see it being much of a difference on the 360. Most likely the only studio to put games out on it will be Microsoft and they will probably be directed towards families and young children. Much like the only true games for the Live Vision were Totem ball and You're In The Movies. Sure, you could take your pic in RSV, but you looked like an idiot anyway.

Pure Efficiency
06-04-2009, 05:12 AM
I realize this whole thing is kind of exciting/ground breaking but it kind of creeps me out at the same time.

Royle
06-04-2009, 09:01 AM
http://www.grandmemories.com/smilies/lex-luthor-wrong.jpg This guy needs to grow up!

phobzy85
06-04-2009, 11:04 AM
Looks really innovative but it boils down to having the room. I wouldn't be able to play this in my bedroom on certain games and would have to go downstairs for that. Would be really fun with games like Buzz etc. That 100 v 1 game.

They won't take the original controller out completely. As they want to keep their market open to casual / hardcore gamers.

sweatdog
06-04-2009, 05:36 PM
One of the advantages to the old style controllers is that they provide sharp tight controls needed for many games that appeal to gamers. Watching the video for Natal, it seems that there is undoubtedly some lag in the controls, and some "interpretations" made by the system which could result in unexpected movements, commands, etc. These controls are good for casual games that appeal to the masses (like the Wii), but hopefully Microsoft will not try to force these controls onto every new game being developed, like Nintendo did with their Wii.

CovertDog
06-04-2009, 08:08 PM

You are a true blooded Conservative, ignorant to the bone. Before you go off on some "I'm allowed to have my opinion" 1st amendment BS, yes you are, but have some maturity. I believe most of what you said is true, but I would not word it that way. I don't think it will work. Remember Totem Ball with the camera. If it does work great, but I think they are reaching a bit.

On a side note, its kind of ironic how you idolize Denny Crane and he is played by a very Liberal Canadian. Ya I read your live bio. Maturity not coming off as your strong suit.

Pixo
06-04-2009, 11:04 PM
I don't mind this, but I really hope they don't put this into shooter games like Gears of War. I also hope there will be an option to turn it on and off because I know I'm not going to like this.

gamerguy69
06-04-2009, 11:44 PM
Thread title seems a bit misleading and premature. Natal wasn't launched at E3. All they did was show some cheesy pre-taped demonstration and I doubt that was done without special effects, etc. The thing is still in development as far I as I can tell.

Elit3 m0nkey
06-05-2009, 12:01 AM

Its this kind of attitude that gives us a gamers a bad name. While I respect your opinion about the device, you could of worded it differently so it doesn't like you are a jerk.

Anyways Natal definitely looks like it will help MS compete the Wii. Just worried about the pricing and if it will be required to work with every game (probably not though).

Juzt Skillz
06-05-2009, 12:48 AM
If this actually runs as smooth as they say it will be a technological revolution. But it may have draw backs. If this truly does run smoothly then it will outdo the Wii dontcha think? It still looks better than Sony's dildo. (There motion controller)

Snowman
06-05-2009, 01:06 AM
this isn't a very good thing to have in an upstairs apartment but i just hope they make it good before they distribute it and that they actually have game ideas unlike the wii where they just sold it with no solid games that actually need the controll for

Bearded Bugs
06-05-2009, 01:14 AM
I'm looking forward to trying that "phantom steering wheel" on the racing game they showed!

Denny Crane
06-05-2009, 03:17 AM
You are a true blooded Conservative, ignorant to the bone. Before you go off on some "I'm allowed to have my opinion" 1st amendment BS, yes you are, but have some maturity. I believe most of what you said is true, but I would not word it that way. I don't think it will work. Remember Totem Ball with the camera. If it does work great, but I think they are reaching a bit.

On a side note, its kind of ironic how you idolize Denny Crane and he is played by a very Liberal Canadian. Ya I read your live bio. Maturity not coming off as your strong suit.
yes i idolize him since its my user name on a stupid gaming site.... yea ill try my best to be mature on the internets and xbox live from now on, cause you know how important that is, right... to be an respectful person on the ol interweb. get over yourself d*uche. btw just like a liberal to attempt to insult someone without any facts or knowledge, atleast over the web you wont have to run away scared pissing yourself, you can be the big tuff guy, but irl, im guessing your a sniveling snake in the grass and you are sad little person.

oh and to the other guy that said i give gamers a bad name... dont think i can give something a bad name if it already has it... you must follow the same logic of the other loser.

...and if you cry again about my MESSAGES ON THE INTERNET, then im going have to call the waaaaaaaambulance (again) over to you to help calm you down and dry up all your tears.

dakisbac
06-05-2009, 03:23 AM
inb4dennygetsbanned. Denny, you realise Covert is a moderator, right?

Anyway, on topic, like I said in that thread during E3, this looks promising but I very much doubt it will work anywhere near as well as they claim. For example, with the signing in based on your appearance, what if I were to shave my head, shave my beard, and switch to contacts? I don't think it would recognize me, it would probably sign me in as my brother.

I'm looking forward to moving the menu with my hands for cases like this morning where there's already a DVD in my drive and I'm too lazy to play/look for the controller, and that first arcade game they demo'd. Not interested in the paint thing nor Milo, which is especially creepy IMO (the only redeeming factor will be if I could verbally abuse him, which would be even better if he did it back to me)

twinblade1150
06-05-2009, 09:01 AM
i think it look kinda good rbut dunno if its gunna work proper, things like this never do. any1 got any idea when it comes out tho ?? im think around christmas :( cuz natal mean christmas in some country. Anyone no if its gunna be a plug in or what ? sorry if any1 has alrady said all this

:uzi::confused::Bounce:

kevinbeck12713
06-05-2009, 06:43 PM
please don't let this take over my xbox... games using motion censor just plain aren't as fun as regular controller games. I think its just a fad, and thers no way it will work in real life as well as it did in that video.

CovertDog
06-05-2009, 11:05 PM
inb4dennygetsbanned. Denny, you realise Covert is a moderator, right?

I would never ban someone for replying to my comments about them. It would be a bit hypocritical. Regardless its done, I couldn't prove my points any better then he did for me. So please back on topic everyone.

Br0kenAssass1n
06-05-2009, 11:10 PM
You know what? Why don't you just stop downing people and what they might enjoy? Natal is a good innovation. The skate thing is great for people like me who have ankle problems and can't skate for real anymore, so I can appreciate it.
It's a nice movement in technology. The facial and voice recognition is a good feature, not a gimmick. It eliminates the needs for the cam and the headsets.

It most likely won't be used for long-term play FPS games like Call of Duty. And even if it is, I'm sure they'd have you switch between a controller and Natal to your preference. I agree, holding an air gun would look retarded. But then again, using the Wiimote as a gun looks just as rediculious in my opinion. And I'm sure as hell you won't shout "bang bang" fool.

Things that are "gimmicks" now are going to become integrated into the future consoles, so you're just going to have to deal with it and come to terms at some point in time. Everything changes, everything evolves. It's called life. It applies to species, environment, and yes even manmade things such as video games.
If they didn't change, it would be the same boring shit year after year. How fun would that be? Not very.

The whole rant made me laugh, was top notch and a longer version of a similar rant of mine in another thread, just with more explictives. I agreed with all v thorne said, just deleted the less important bits and bolded the funniest part. Well, it made me chuckle anyway.

*thumbs up to v thorne*

I'm looking forward to moving the menu with my hands for cases like this morning where there's already a DVD in my drive and I'm too lazy to play/look for the controller, and that first arcade game they demo'd. Not interested in the paint thing nor Milo, which is especially creepy IMO (the only redeeming factor will be if I could verbally abuse him, which would be even better if he did it back to me)

That'd be awesome... Being able to take your frustration out on him instead of your loved one's/wall/controller etc sounds rather relaxing.