PDA

View Full Version : RRoD Question....

leeingham
06-03-2009, 03:48 PM
Just had 3 lights come up. Had the 360 on since this morning playing COD etc.
Just turned round to see it shutting down and the 3 lights on.
Turned the power off. Took net cable out. gave it a min or so, put all the cables in. turned it back on and boom, all working and no signs of red

My question is as I have never had the 3 before (only had 4 when not put the AV cable in)
Does it now go away or will it continue to get worse slowly but surely?

Barad
06-03-2009, 04:05 PM
thats lucky of you if it actually ended up working but thats surely..well maybe a sign of it going to maybe get 3 red light for good soon..hopefully not though I'm not sure..

leeingham
06-03-2009, 05:17 PM
thanks for that

anyone else?

Skillet
06-03-2009, 05:26 PM
My last console red ringed once about three months before actually dying of the E74 error.

So it may happen soon, it may not. Just try not to stress the console too much.

Chris_Krol
06-04-2009, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I've gone through tons of consoles, and sometimes you will get lucky like that and you will be able to play it for a little bit, but sooner or later it will just shut down on you. Sucks but I would start getting the repair information ready now.

Chris_Krol

Razzattack99
06-04-2009, 10:42 PM
3 red rings is general hardware failure. This is probably because you have an old model or it just generally got overheated. DO NOT open the back. DO NOT use the towel trick. Send it away to microsoft, buy some bubble wrap from your newsagents. They should give you a free, new model xbox 360 FREE OF CHARGE (as long as you didn't tamper with it i.e. open the back). This is exactly the steps i took to get me new xbox and it took 10 days to recieve my free new model xbox 360. IF YOU USE IT NOW YOU RUN THE RISK OF DAMAGING HARD DRIVES AND CONTROLLERS PLUGGED INTO IT!!! send it microsoft straight away, trust me this works really well and it costs you like 50p for the bubble wrap and you get a brand new 360

hope this helped

Jethrow
06-04-2009, 11:21 PM
if your closing in on the endof your warranty, send it in now!

leeingham
06-06-2009, 01:01 PM
yeah it runs out in october. I will send it over the week I think

I didnt know they would give me a new xbox, the HDMI one?. that always the case or do they just mend the one you have?

PMILL69
06-06-2009, 01:04 PM
mine worked for like a an hour after the 3 red rings poped up

dakisbac
06-06-2009, 01:08 PM
I don't think that qualifies as RRoD. The same thing happened to my brother's box when I first hooked it up. I didn't think a brand new console would RRoD right off the bat so I fiddled around with the back wires and it worked fine afterward. Six months later and the thing hasn't even froze once.

leeingham
06-06-2009, 01:18 PM
mines still working now. no signs of red ring or anything. its been on since about 11ish and its still playing now. was on yesterday as well. im gonna give it till august and send it back as im on holiday then so wont need it :)

CyberSh3ff
06-06-2009, 01:18 PM
my old xbox got the RROD once and i did the same as you, took everything out and i left it for half an hour, and it was fine for about another year until i got the e74 error.

bummer.

leeingham
06-06-2009, 01:22 PM
yeah thats cool, will leave it till like I said august as it appears to be fine now

sounds weird firing up but it may be a loose bracket on the intercooler thing I have on the back

leeingham
06-14-2009, 08:09 AM
mine came on again last night. quick power off, cables out it came back on,

phoned up gamestation (uk company) and i said I bought it under a year ago from you, RROD just come on, so he said yeah thats fine bring it in and we will swap it for you but then I said its just gone off is that still ok. He said yeah thats fine just bring it in.

I got the guys name (who I know was the manager having bought a game earlier in the day).

My question is I have boxed it all up etc without my hard drive as I traded in the 20gb I had and got one of those cheap (uk people might know) 120gb's from HMV

THey wouldnt need the HDD would they as im guessing they just send it to MS themselves. Would they give me a newer one with the HDMI port on the back or like for like?

RickyMcG
06-14-2009, 10:56 AM
Occasionally the RRoD can appear and seemingly go off, this doesn't mean anything. Eventually though, your console will die due to hardware failure. I'd just take it in mate. I've never had this happen, two of my consoles have just died and have been unable to function again. MS do not need your HDD, the only thing they require is your console boxed up with no disc inside the tray.