PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Originals to end

Pheonix_Assassin
06-03-2009, 08:12 PM
Xbox Live's Xbox Originals download service is to end, it's been revealed at E3.

The Xbox 1 download service is set to receive one final game release - highly likely to be Halo 2 - before Microsoft shifts its focus to the Games on Demand Xbox 360 service, IGN (http://uk.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/990/990070p1.html) reports.

Apparently, despite having only a handful of Original Xbox games available on the service, after one more release Microsoft will have "finished it's portfolio" of Xbox Originals.

Poor show, MS. Where's Jet Set Radio Future, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath, Conker, KoTOR among tens of others?

CunningFox
06-03-2009, 08:14 PM
And yet buying the game without downloading it seems to be cheaper and saves room on my hard drive.
I can't say this wasn't inevitable.

Rolyatkcinmai
06-03-2009, 08:15 PM
Yeah KotOR was really the only Xbox game I wanted and it's one they never got to. I do own it for Xbox however, I wonder if it is backwards compatible?

Either way this kind of sucks. We're just seeing Sony really start to ramp up their PS1 titles on PSN this week (Resident Evil and FFVII this week alone) and Microsoft goes in the complete other direction? That's pretty poor in my opinion.

Pheonix_Assassin
06-03-2009, 08:29 PM
I personally would buy Xbox classics from a shop than Download them from marketplace =/

MoonSka
06-03-2009, 08:37 PM
Yeah KotOR was really the only Xbox game I wanted and it's one they never got to. I do own it for Xbox however, I wonder if it is backwards compatible?

Either way this kind of sucks. We're just seeing Sony really start to ramp up their PS1 titles on PSN this week (Resident Evil and FFVII this week alone) and Microsoft goes in the complete other direction? That's pretty poor in my opinion.

KOTOR and KOTOR II are backwards compatible

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/catalog.aspx?st=kotor&g=0&r=0&sd=1&p=1&c=10

Lord Chabelo
06-03-2009, 08:44 PM
I personally would buy Xbox classics from a shop than Download them from marketplace =/

Same here, I need to have the original copy.

Rolyatkcinmai
06-03-2009, 08:47 PM
KOTOR and KOTOR II are backwards compatible

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/catalog.aspx?st=kotor&g=0&r=0&sd=1&p=1&c=10

KotOR 2 does not exist. There is KotOR and there is The Old Republic. :p

Thanks for the link though, good to know.

True I Skill
06-03-2009, 11:30 PM
They needa make more xbox games xbox360 compatible.
And the xbox originals to have acheivments that would make me buy them, Or if its too hard to add acheivments maybe some type of award.

Bluntman428
06-03-2009, 11:34 PM
We're just seeing Sony really start to ramp up their PS1 titles on PSN this week (Resident Evil and FFVII this week alone) and Microsoft goes in the complete other direction?

Whoa whoa whoa. Hold up. They're bringing Final Fantasy VII to PSN?

Thanks for making me want a PS3 twice as badly. Was slated to buy one before I totalled my car. :(

Anyway, I won't really miss the Xbox Originals. I downloaded Psychonauts, Pirates and Ninja Gaiden Black, but all of them inevitably got deleted because they take up too much space on the shitty 20gb hard drive. And I refuse to go spend $100+ at Gamestop for a 120gb hard drive, sooo...meh.

XxBlueSpade2xX
06-04-2009, 12:06 AM
I think there's already a thread on this. But, I never was a fan of the Xbox Originals. I still have most of my old games and the console.

Rolyatkcinmai
06-04-2009, 12:15 AM

It's already there. It popped up during Sony's show when they mentioned it yesterday morning. $9.99. I already bought it but haven't played it yet. Going to put it on my PSP (looks better on a small screen than on the PS3 :p).

T0b3
06-04-2009, 12:23 AM
I bought 3 games:

Stubbs, Halo, Fable. That's it.

Way too many great Xbox games are missing.

Deathblow23
06-04-2009, 01:20 AM
If they actually wanted this thing to succeed...all they had to do was implement achievements on the XBOX Originals and it would have really taken off. Seriously...they could have put them at a 500 Gscore max...which would have been nicely in between 1000, and 200.

It would have worked perfectly and there was even an interview in OXM months and months ago where a developer said it was would have been terribly easy to do...but for some unknown reason...MS decided against it.

Way to go MS...but hopefully...the Games on Demand will be as super cool as it looks like it could be!

diesel680
06-04-2009, 01:27 AM
If they actually wanted this thing to succeed...all they had to do was implement achievements on the XBOX Originals and it would have really taken off. Seriously...they could have put them at a 500 Gscore max...which would have been nicely in between 1000, and 200.

It would have worked perfectly and there was even an interview in OXM months and months ago where a developer said it was would have been terribly easy to do...but for some unknown reason...MS decided against it.

Way to go MS...but hopefully...the Games on Demand will be as super cool as it looks like it could be!

I would have loved this, it would have been a great incentive to replay some of these, I always like an excuse to play Max Payne again. Plus, the XBox was around when I was just a kid, I didn't have the money for all systems, so I would be willing to spend some money to buy Halo, Halo 2, etc. I've been disappointed when I bought cool games and they weren't backward compatible as well.

T0b3
06-04-2009, 01:31 AM

Sure they disagreed. Sales of Xbox Originals from the marketplace might have increased but yet Microsoft would've been forced to create achievements for ALL Xbox games. And that's a bunch. And they would have to pay employees to do so. And that doesn't pay off.

By the way, I won't ever use that GoD-service. Retail game = retail cover in my shelf.

CyanideBreathMint
06-04-2009, 01:31 AM
It's simply not relevant to me anymore. Once I got a taste of achievements, sadly, I haven't looked back at an Xbox Original game since. Especially now that Butcher Bay is on the new Riddick 360 disc.

Bringing 360 titles to purchase as digital downloads is fantastic however. Bring more titles is my request.

Bluntman428
06-04-2009, 01:32 AM
It's already there. It popped up during Sony's show when they mentioned it yesterday morning. $9.99. I already bought it but haven't played it yet. Going to put it on my PSP (looks better on a small screen than on the PS3 :p).

Damn. If I have enough money left over when I get done buying my new car, I'm totally getting a PS3 if I can find one for under $300 somewhere.

It's also great to see that PSN doesn't rape its consumers' wallets like Microsoft likes to with the marketplace. Half the new arcade games cost $15, and I've seen some up to $20. I was interested in watching the Rashad Evans/Machida fight on the marketplace too, until I saw it was 4400 MSP...which is like $50.

Sony could've charged $20+ for FFVII and people would've eaten it up.

Rolyatkcinmai
06-04-2009, 01:45 AM
Damn. If I have enough money left over when I get done buying my new car, I'm totally getting a PS3 if I can find one for under $300 somewhere.

It's also great to see that PSN doesn't rape its consumers' wallets like Microsoft likes to with the marketplace. Half the new arcade games cost $15, and I've seen some up to $20. I was interested in watching the Rashad Evans/Machida fight on the marketplace too, until I saw it was 4400 MSP...which is like $50.

Sony could've charged $20+ for FFVII and people would've eaten it up.

Well for the most part PSN's prices are in line with Live's. All Playstation Classics are $9.99 or less I believe though. Our PS Store is a lot smaller than Japans, but we're slowly starting to see a lot of the titles trickling into the North American store. Once it has Resident Evil 2 (RE came out this week on PSN) I'll be completely happy. It already has all my other old favourites.

Both stores have their advantages and disadvantages though, so PSN isn't entirely off the hook there.

PSN uses real currency, but also has tax by state.
PSN has a shopping cart and a download queue which is excellent.
PSN is prettier and is better for browsing around for things you may not know about.
Live however is MUCH easier to find things on if you know what you're looking for.
Both have comparable arcade titles and very similar prices.
Both have credit card functionality or store-bought prepaid cards.

The perfect online store is somewhere between both of them unfortunately.

But, that was entirely off topic. Sorry.

InkedUp
06-04-2009, 01:59 AM
I personally never used the originals part of the service, but it does seem smarter on MS's part to focus more on there downloadable games store

Thegreatest7884
06-04-2009, 03:04 AM
I never bought an Xbox original on the marketplace. Most of the time they're cheaper if you go to Gamestop. Most of the games are around $5. This won't really affect me.

KNUCKS x360a
06-04-2009, 03:08 AM
It's simply not relevant to me anymore. Once I got a taste of achievements, sadly, I haven't looked back at an Xbox Original game since.

Same here, i'd say thats the biggest reason people dont really buy them - I know its why I dont anyway!
If San Andreas had even 200 points, i'd buy it in a flash!

Gackt
06-04-2009, 03:49 AM

Thanks for making me want a PS3 twice as badly.

Come on now man... 7 was the worst Final Fantasy... they should do a remake of 6 for ps3 and Id run out right NOW and buy it for that alone. :D

daninthemix
06-04-2009, 08:27 AM
I would have played quite a few Originals if they had had achievements. As it is I played none.

Ryot Control
06-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Come on now man... 7 was the worst Final Fantasy...

... I can't believe you said that. But whatever.

Not going to miss the originals.

Royle
06-04-2009, 08:52 AM
What a pointless idea that was microsoft LMAO.

NightUlf
06-04-2009, 08:54 AM
I never bothered with the downloads, takes up too much space on the hard drive, plus I have most of the original discs.
It would be nice if they carried on the support of making more games playable on the 360, there are still a lot that can't be played, and they haven't updated it for ages!
Yes it would be nice if they made achievements for the old games, but I know it is not practical. :(

B1GM13
06-04-2009, 08:58 AM
Same here, i'd say thats the biggest reason people dont really buy them - I know its why I dont anyway!
If San Andreas had even 200 points, i'd buy it in a flash!

totally agree... Achievements have ruined me. i still play my Wii but often wish Smash Bro's had some form of achievements.

if San Andreas was released as like a bonus game if you pre-ordered the Liberty Stories expansion but had achievements, then... wouldnt think twice about it.

Iregore
06-04-2009, 09:57 AM
totally agree... Achievements have ruined me. i still play my Wii but often wish Smash Bro's had some form of achievements.

It does, not achievements to a gamer card like 360 and PS3, but you unlock trophies in game for doing stuff.

As for the end of originals, what really screwed them over was having Fable and not Fable TLC in my opinion, their sales if it were TLC would have been so much higher.

GreaseMonkeyGB
06-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Noooooooooo!!!! What about midtown madness 3!?!?!?! Noooooooooo!!!!

Bluntman428
06-04-2009, 10:13 AM
Come on now man... 7 was the worst Final Fantasy... they should do a remake of 6 for ps3 and Id run out right NOW and buy it for that alone. :D

You must've never played FFX-2 then.

That game was absolutely terrible. The plotline was also entirely pointless in every way.

I was also not a fan of 8. It's the only Final Fantasy other than 12 (which I never played at all...didn't like how they tried to change the combat and the characters sucked, so I wasn't interested) that I never beat.

And I totally agree on a remake of 6. That is my single favorite game of all time. I played it more times than I can even remember. Also have fond memories of playing it multiplayer with my mother, who loved Final Fantasy 4 and 6. The story in 6 is, in my opinion, the greatest RPG storyline of all time. The characters and Esper system were also the pinnacle of Final Fantasy. What I wouldn't give to see it remade with current-gen graphics, or even just re-released with updated HD graphics.

A Meat Pie
06-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Oh no! That kinda sucks. But I do hope you can still buy them, I've still yet to buy Fable and Max Payne, and those others titles that I've forgotten the name of...

Pure Efficiency
06-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Good riddance. Why would I want to spend good money on overpriced old games when I already have them? Not having achievements is another downer.

IZI SNiiPEZ IZI
06-04-2009, 12:57 PM

Did i read that correctly 7 was the worst i must say to you sir ....wow lmao i loved that game and it had the greatest skill learning feature and the story was so compelling

quidyg
06-04-2009, 02:07 PM
if microsoft would have included achievements with them they wouldn't be doing this because they'd be making alot more money from them. but seeing as, as alot of people have already stated, that they are overpriced then i wont really care about them stopping the service

CaptainSpanner
06-04-2009, 03:53 PM
i never bought originals off the marketplace. i always got the disks, theyre easier.

Luke19
06-04-2009, 04:52 PM
Can't say this bothers me tbh.

Gackt
06-04-2009, 06:29 PM
Did i read that correctly 7 was the worst i must say to you sir ....wow lmao i loved that game and it had the greatest skill learning feature and the story was so compelling

Was not a bad game, but out of all the Final Fantasy games I have played it was my least favorite (hated all the characters)

So I should have worded my original comment better, 7 is MY least favorite :)

On topic: I dont care about the originals ending, I didnt get a 360 to play old original games.

Rolyatkcinmai
06-04-2009, 06:43 PM
An update for Bluntman; It was just announced that Metal Gear Solid for PS1 will be out on PSN next week as well. :p

Gackt
06-04-2009, 06:54 PM
An update for Bluntman; It was just announced that Metal Gear Solid for PS1 will be out on PSN next week as well. :p

Now im a bit more interested, I really liked MGS1 and still have yet to play 4...and since that one doesnt appear to be coming to 360 I may have to get a ps3 afterall

DTwirler
06-04-2009, 07:21 PM
Bet the Originals woulda done hella better if they had added achievements! :p

gatorbait
06-04-2009, 07:38 PM
And yet buying the game without downloading it seems to be cheaper and saves room on my hard drive.
I can't say this wasn't inevitable.
You and the rest of us. The service to me didn't seem practical. We can avoid using up a large amount of space on our harddrive and most likely get the games cheaper by shopping elsewhere for the games they provided. They should have spent more time making more games backwards compatible for those who did not already have an original Xbox. Now they're going to try this but with 360 games. I still don't see myself using the service though.

Bluntman428
06-04-2009, 09:05 PM

Wow, that truly is epic.

Just out of curiosity, any chance they're putting trophies or whatever into these games?

Platinum Trophy for beating Emerald/Ruby Weapon = ultimate badge of honor.

Gackt
06-04-2009, 09:31 PM
Bet the Originals woulda done hella better if they had added achievements! :p

Definitely. I know I would have gotten a few of them if achievements were involved :D

Rolyatkcinmai
06-04-2009, 09:47 PM
Just out of curiosity, any chance they're putting trophies or whatever into these games?

Not that I know of, but there are lots of rumors for PSP Trophy support coming around the time of the PSP Go's launch, which might make them rethink the PS Originals. I think they would be difficult to add for such old games which are simply the retail files with emulators to make it work on the PS3/PSP.

For me though PS3 is more of a safe haven from achievements. When I play PS3 games, I relax more and don't pay a whole lot of attention to the trophies (although I went trophy-crazy in Infamous, almost have 100%) which gives a much better experience overall. I would have hated to collect all of the treasures in Uncharted or Killzone 2 (which I would have done for 360), but I didn't have to since I don't really care about the trophies.

But yeah, PS 1 Classics is really coming into its own now that Sony is giving it a lot more support. Rainbow Six, Resident Evil, and Medal of Honor last week, FFVII this week, and MGS next week? Couldn't ask for more. I already own Twisted Metal 2 and Jet Moto (my first PS game, has a nostalgic value to it). There's a bunch more as well, all the PS1 Crash Bandicoots, Spyros, and Syphon Filters for instance.

It's great just for nostalgia. I dream of a console one day where I can truly play any game that I've previously owned, no matter how old. Some games will always be masterpieces.

dakrkplayer2
06-04-2009, 10:05 PM
I think this would done well if they had retro achievements. But that is is life. And also they should pick the right version of FABLE 1 to sale on market places.

Seany Show
06-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Cannot say that any of the Xbox Originals interested me that much to purchase them through the Marketplace. If they had achievements then that could have been a different story. I will always prefer to have a physical copy of a game in my hand rather than it just being on my hard drive. The new on-demand service may catch on but I doubt I will use it.