PDA

View Full Version : Wireless Headset - worth buying?

Dirtwrinkle
12-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Subject says most of it - I was looking at the wireless headset the other day (The ear clip one); are they worth buying? ie: comfortable, functional, etc. The one that came with the 360 works well, but the wire is a bit annoying running from the controller at times.

Linkage:
http://hardware.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/69/Xbox-360-Wireless-Headset/

Crash
12-29-2006, 04:18 PM
I haven't actually used one myself, but I have talked to a few people now that are not happy with it. Range is short, and almost everytime I play with someone online that has one, I can hear bad noise feedback from it or their voice breaks up at times.

Like I said though, I have not actually used one myself...

PerpetualHeaven
12-29-2006, 04:22 PM
What crash has said. The reviews are bad, everyone thinks its bad, and I personally think it's very annoying because of the massive background sound I can hear all the time.
If you're looking for a wireless headset you may want to try the turtle beach one (IGN rated it 8.2 I believe) but that's 100 bucks.

Tron
12-29-2006, 04:40 PM
thats a big negative.. i hate mine...hate.

|oneyedNewb|
12-29-2006, 04:45 PM
I have a wireless ... :) i do admit sometimes we lose connection while still speaking it's hard to hear the other person, but really that's the only thing i hate about it.

SLYTHE U UP
12-29-2006, 05:07 PM
What crash has said. The reviews are bad, everyone thinks its bad, and I personally think it's very annoying because of the massive background sound I can hear all the time.
If you're looking for a wireless headset you may want to try the turtle beach one (IGN rated it 8.2 I believe) but that's 100 bucks.

First of all their called Turtle Beach Headphones Wireless X 2.0 they may not be like a 5.1 Pioneers but they fit vry comfortable The overrla rate is (8.7) and nobody around you can hear anything coming out of the headphones loud enough just foryou, it may cost $100 but it comes with a holder that as well charges it.

PerpetualHeaven
12-29-2006, 05:31 PM
First of all their called Turtle Beach Headphones Wireless X 2.0 they may not be like a 5.1 Pioneers but they fit vry comfortable The overrla rate is (8.7) and nobody around you can hear anything coming out of the headphones loud enough just foryou, it may cost $100 but it comes with a holder that as well charges it.

The IGN rating was 8.1:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/704/704833p2.html

graemelunn
12-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Dont want to fan the flames of debate here, and I know that there are probably better bits of kit around, but I actually like my Wireless Headset. the only criticism I would have would be that they could have put some cushioning for the top of the ear, other than that - I think its great.

Tron
12-29-2006, 06:31 PM
have you played online with it? its miserable...voice chat seems to do ok, but online multiplayer, like RB6 Vegas for example, its horrible.

KMB 316
12-29-2006, 06:36 PM
i hope MS fixes theres i dont want to drop $100 on them, i want wireless for when DDR and guitar hero comes out

Buttcheeks
12-29-2006, 07:16 PM
Other than the occasional buzzing noise that comes out of it i really like mine. It's comfortable and has worked well for me even in multiplayer online games. The only thing that i don't like about it is the battery life it always seems to die right in the middle of a round when i need to tell someone something.

Baw
12-29-2006, 09:46 PM
I got one for christmas and its working fine. I haven't had any problems with it. I can hear my friends very clear and they said they could hear me clear and it is comfortable.

Dirtwrinkle
12-29-2006, 10:17 PM
Lots o' good and bad on this thing, it seems. Thanks for the input. I have a plan though, I'll steal a friend of mine's headset for a few days, he won't miss it.

If it works well, then I'll know for sure, if not, I lose nothing :D

PerpetualHeaven
12-29-2006, 11:12 PM
Well apparently if people start hearing that backdrop sound, you can send your wireless one in and they'll fix it and send you one that won't do that. That's what i've read atleast.

TheMollywhopper
12-30-2006, 02:17 AM
I bought it and hated it. People said my voice was cutting out a lot, and the speaker on it is really quiet... so, I took it back. I got that Turtle Beach headset back when it first came out, and I thought it sucked even worse. It got really bad static and it weighs a ton.

Noodle 6
12-30-2006, 06:53 AM
Well i have no trouble hearing people, and i dont get any static

But sometimes i think that when i talk no one can hear it because the mike is so small.
I talk and the voice icon thing doesnt appear next to my name so yeah, some problems talking to people in games, otherwise its not that bad, but i would stick with the wired one, except ive been thru about 4 of them so i decided to get somethign different this time

TheMollywhopper
12-30-2006, 09:33 AM
I use the little Plantronics headset, and I think it's pretty sweet, same as the old H2 one that they made... if they ever come trough with a wireless I'll be on it like stink on shit.

KilluhKam
12-30-2006, 10:53 AM
i use the microsoft ones lol i bought a H2 one back when one of them broke, but i couldnt hear shit out of it so the next day i returned it to get a Microsoft one...it'll work fine for me until they come out with a really good wireless headset

J2 Da R
12-30-2006, 02:33 PM
My wireless headset from MS never worked at all ... ever.

excessum01
12-30-2006, 02:42 PM
I use the little Plantronics headset, and I think it's pretty sweet, same as the old H2 one that they made... if they ever come trough with a wireless I'll be on it like stink on shit.
I hate that litte thing. I had to yell for my little mic thing to light up.

o Machamp o
12-30-2006, 03:00 PM
I dont know what you guys are saying about the microsoft wireless headset, but I haven't had a problem connecting. It feels really good around my ear, and I can actually hear my friends now

PerpetualHeaven
12-30-2006, 04:00 PM
the plantronics X30 received a lot of great feedback from gaming sites. If you want a new headset try that out.

TheMollywhopper
12-30-2006, 07:37 PM
Yeah, that's the one I'm talking about. the noise cancelling is a little too good (if you're a whisperer, it's not for you) but otherwise really nice.

vincesecuricor2
12-30-2006, 07:50 PM
i dont own the wireless but my friend andreaJSH (http://live.xbox.com/en-GB/profile/profile.aspx?pp=0&GamerTag=andreaJSH) has one and says that she cant wait to return it as its that terrible

xR33F3Rx
01-02-2007, 07:37 AM
Until the wireless mics are as responsive and great as the controllers are, I'm sticking with wireless

graf1k
01-02-2007, 11:29 AM
The wireless mic is a serious pain in the ass. I've used it about twice since I bought it and both times within 10 minutes of putting it on I was getting complaints from people about crazy feedback. I had to turn the mic off and then back on to fix it but it comes back in about 10-15 minutes. I remember getting the same thing when playing with E tron too, but on the other hand, Legion is using one too and while he breaks up more than he used to on his wired mic and occasionally I get the feedback from him, it's not nearly as often as my mic. I guess some are worse than others but I'm so fed up with it I just don't want to fuck with it anymore. Somehow I suckered Amazon into taking it back for a full refund with them also paying for return shipping so I'm sending that shit back.

PerpetualHeaven
01-02-2007, 05:49 PM
Team XBOX rated it 6.6 overall. I think that says enough not to buy it.
I honestly want to buy one, but i'm having a tough time forcing myself too. Just my experiences with other people makes me not want to buy it but this microsoft foam crude is really crappy and hurts my ear.
Please Microsoft fix it!

edit: also, one of my friends/gamerscore league buddies owns a wireless headset and he lives over in the UK. Let's just see when we private chatted when he got it was hell for me.
"can...y..he..m.." He breaks out non-stop it was impossible to talk to him. "wh..th..g..". Huh what did you say? that's our entire conversation. He had to switch back to his old one.

FragEmAndSmile
01-03-2007, 03:31 PM
I was looking at getting one. Guess I'll stick with the wired one now....

moonieass13
01-03-2007, 06:22 PM
Does anyone have that wireless turtle one... I dont really know what its called but its like $100... Is it good? I want a new headset cause the wired one is just plain making me mad PLUS being able to have sound at a decent lvl in the middle of the night would be nice

PerpetualHeaven
01-03-2007, 06:59 PM
Does anyone have that wireless turtle one... I dont really know what its called but its like $100... Is it good? I want a new headset cause the wired one is just plain making me mad PLUS being able to have sound at a decent lvl in the middle of the night would be nice

Reviews for Turtle Beach:

http://gear.ign.com/articles/704/704833p2.html
http://hardware.teamxbox.com/reviews/xbox-360/50/Turtle-Beach-Ear-Force-X2/p3/
http://www.neoseeker.com/Articles/Hardware/Reviews/earforcex2_r/5.html
http://xbox360.gamezone.com/gzreviews/r29065.htm
http://reviews.cnet.com/Turtle_Beach_Ear_Force_X2/4505-6468_7-31868821.html

IGN: 8.1
Team XBOX: 8.4
NeoSeeker: Recommend
XBOX360 Gamerzone: 8.9
CNET: 6.8

The only problem is they aren't actually wireless per say. You have to connect it to the controller still to talk over xbox live.

IceWarm
01-04-2007, 02:56 AM
I have a wireless controller. So my headset being wired into that is fine by me. I can still move around if I need to get a drink or something.

bdg7884
01-06-2007, 01:43 AM
It's nice... But I recharged it after one use and now it won't connect to my damn controller.

MoDiFiEdMaTtY
01-08-2007, 11:26 AM
well i have a wireless headset and i rly like it! feels nice on me ear so thats good! connection i not a issue! and its clear and friends find it better to hear me! so yeah thumbs up from me :D :woop:

heman38
01-17-2007, 07:40 PM
my friend has one, and i cant play with him anymore! there is so much feedback from his wireless headset that i cant stand it!

Cobra 69 Venom
05-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Hmm, strange.

My brother and I both have one and regullary chat online together and its clear as anything else i have triied.

Sadly though it is 6 months old now and it doesnt look like it is holding its charge, only last for about 15 minutes before dropping out.

PerpetualHeaven
05-10-2007, 12:27 PM
I criticized this greatly and I was against. Thing is though, my girlfriend bought my little brother one for his birthday (I know real nice girlfriend). Anyways, I'm in michigan and I haven't tested it out but he said the only problem is the charging sometimes. He said the sound is awesome, the comfortability is incredible, and no one has complained about any backdrop or static. Only issue I would say is range. I heard it's very short but it's not like we're going down to the store with it on.

I think the staticy sounds or inconsistencies has to do with the product itself. I think there are a lot of faulty ones. Meaning that some people get ones that are way too staticy or picks up so much back drop. I mean eternalprince (uk), his wireless headset must have been garbage. He sounded like he had the worst stutter ever. As for other people, some of them are really bad and there are some that are so good I thought they were using the plug in ones. So if your wireless headset is messing up, microsoft said they want them to send it to them and they'll fix or send you a new one.

LX PROTOCOL V2
05-12-2007, 01:33 PM
What would be the best headset to get? I have the gotten a second wired headset after my first one stopped giving me sound through the earpeice after only four months! I would like to know what would be good to replace my headset if (or when) this one goes out.

http://my.livecard.net/blue/LX+PROTOCOL%20V2.png

lmc059
05-12-2007, 10:23 PM
well i have mixed comments on this as i really do hate the disconnecting while you are chatting and the bad feedback it gives off sometimes but the good points about it for me is that the sound is crystal clear, doesnt pick up heavy breathing (dont know why you get heavy breathers but you do) and you dont get that annoying wire that you pull out when you place the controller down i would rate it 6 out of 10 based on the working state of it but thats just my opinion

:)

Walcherina
05-12-2007, 10:29 PM
My friend has a wireless, they're pretty slick. Although I have no problems with my headset being wired since my controller is wireless. Not worth spending money for the upgrade.

goblue1590
05-14-2007, 02:12 AM
there have been negative reviews and it is a little to specific in the voice most players on the other end say they can hear that player breathing and it gets very annoying

Rashaka1
05-14-2007, 04:01 AM
I own one as well, after using my bluetooth headset for my cell phone, I was excited to get one, but so far it's proven to be less than worthy compared to other items that are out there.... I'm kinda wondering if there is some way to get a normal blue tooth headset to work with your 360 instead of the MS one. =-)

dchispirtle
05-15-2007, 12:06 AM
For the most part, the positives for the Wireless headset outweigh the negatives. It is very comfortable and the voices come through clearly. This is everything that can be expected from a headset that was released nearly a year after the standard wired one that came on system launch.

Unfortunately, the battery life is pretty low, probably around 3-4 hours continuous talk. Also, I have heard from numerous people that I've played against that sometimes they get feedback when I speak, reporting it as a high pitched warbling sound. The problem is usually solved by turning off the headset and reconnecting it.

If you buy a wireless set, be sure that you have a wired one as a backup, because you will need it.

doyle_rock
05-15-2007, 05:40 PM
I've been meaning to buy another headset ever since mine broke. I was thinking about getting a wireless one but now I've changed my mind.