PDA

View Full Version : Is Bert Blyleven a HOF'er?

Shaaady Souljah
12-29-2006, 05:54 PM
You need a 75% vote to get into the Hall. Do you all think Bert Blyleven deserves to be in? Just curious...Personally, I think he should be in because of his ability to finish so many games single-handedly (60 Complete Games!), plus his ERA was very good, AND the fact that when it came down to winning the big ones, he did -- Won 2 W.S. Rings.

Position: RHP | Years: 1970-92 | Teams: Twins, Rangers, Pirates, Indians, Angels
Key stats: 287 wins; 3,701 strikeouts; 3.31 ERA
Highlights: 2-time All-Star; 2 World Series champions; AL Comeback Player of Year (1989)
Years on ballot: 10 | Highest vote total: 277 (53.3%), 2006

THE CASE FOR
Bert Blyleven is a Hall of Famer. He pitched for some bad teams in some bad ballparks for a pitcher, but won 287 games; he is fifth all-time in strikeouts (3,701), 13th in innings pitched (4,970) and ninth in shutouts with 60, exactly the total of Tom Glavine, Pedro Martinez and Curt Schilling combined. Blyleven's career ERA was 3.31, which was a half a run lower than the league ERA (that's a large gap). Twenty-one pitchers in history have thrown 4,500 innings and had an ERA a half a run better than the league average. Seventeen of the 21 are in the Hall of Fame. Three others -- Roger Clemens, Greg Maddux and Glavine -- are going to the Hall. Then there's Blyleven. He should be in.

THE CASE AGAINST
In the last year, I've asked perhaps a dozen of Bert Blyleven's peers this question: Was there a period when you considered him one of the most elite pitchers in your league? Because that's why I haven't voted for Blyleven. He was clearly a very good pitcher for a long time, but did he dominate the way other current and future Hall of Famers have? Blyleven never finished first or second in Cy Young balloting. I can't find another Hall of Famer voted in by writers with fewer than three All-Star appearances; Blyleven had two. In his second year on the ballot (1999), Blyleven got 14.08 percent of the vote. Only one player (Luis Aparicio) since 1969 ever polled that low among writers and was subsequently voted in. If even half of his peers had told me he was among the game's most dominant pitchers, I would've reconsidered my vote. Almost all of them said this: He had a great curveball and he could be really tough. I wanted to vote "Yes" for Blyleven; I did not.

DJzero
12-30-2006, 09:36 PM
While I think he was a really outstanding pitcher, I wouldn't put him in the Hall.

In my opinion, all the sports have been watering-down there HOFs with "nice guys" and "beloved players" that didn't really have the stat credentials to get in.

But that's just my thoughts...