PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of upgrading my HDD but...

Kamlon
06-07-2009, 12:14 AM
I have some reservations. . .

First off, the price but that's my personal decision to make. :p
Anyways, so I'm wanting to get the 120GB HDD but I have some questions.

Is it possible and feasible to transfer saves/games/etc. from my current HDD to my new one? If so, do I need to purchase something else?
And will arcade games bought on the original HDD work offline on the new one?
And also, is there another bigger sized HDD on the way at any point that anyone knows of?

And yes, I did some searching but couldn't find clear answers to all my questions.

Thanks

CyanideBreathMint
06-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Pricing: You've already answered that.
Yes, it's completely possible. You'll need a transfer cable and disc to do it though. Bought mine off eBay but someone will post here telling you how to contact MS to get one for free...or simply call 1.800.4.My.Xbox and ask an MS Support agent.
Yes to the Arcade game(s) question.
No information has been released by MS on a larger HDD size. It was thought MS might make an announcement at E3, but as it didn't happen, all we have is the 20, 60 and 120gb offerings.

KNUCKS x360a
06-07-2009, 12:18 AM
Yes, you can ask MS for a Data Transfer Kit, its free & will transfer all yr data across to the new HDD.

You can also transfer the licenses & play what you like after...

Not heard of another size HDD... Yet!...

Edit:
Ok - So Cyanide hacked it & posted 1st! :p

CyanideBreathMint
06-07-2009, 12:20 AM
Edit:
Ok - So Cyanide hacked it & posted 1st! :p Booyeah! Hell's ya I did! LOL. :p

dakisbac
06-07-2009, 12:22 AM
1) You transfer saves & content with the transfer cable. Cable and instructions included. If you were to get the 120 GB HDD via an elite system, you phone M$, give them the serial number, and they ship the transfer cable to you free of charge. There are a few saves I believe are non transferable, so watch out for those.

2) As long as the content is located on the HDD (which it will be if you use the transfer cable) you will have the same access you have to it now. The content itself (data) and the licenses for that content are separate.

3) Having been thinking of an upgrade myself (20 GB is simply not enough), I've been wondering this too. I figured that if there was, an announcement would have been made at E3, so, at this point, there are no upgrades that we know of coming in the near future

EDIT: Damn it, beaten by both of you. I simply must learn to type faster

Kamlon
06-07-2009, 12:24 AM
Lol Thanks guys.

Yeah, I only asked about the license thing because I'm on my second Xbox and all the arcade games I bought on my previous one can't be played on my current one offline. But seeing as how the data transfer transfers the licenses themselves, or so I gather, that won't be a problem.

Thanks again.

dakisbac
06-07-2009, 12:32 AM
To clarify, the licenses are attached to your profile and console. The console license allows anyone on the console to play, and the profile license allows that profile to play on any console provided you are online. You've lost your console rights to those XBLA games by getting a new one, so you need to use the license transfer tool (located HERE (http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/)) and things will go back to the way they were. Like I said before, the HDD you are using is irrelevant, as long as the content is actually there to load you'll be fine, licenses are an entirely different issue

NinjaGrinder
06-07-2009, 12:58 AM
I bought a datel transfer kit for 15$ somewhere else and i still use it to store profiles on my pc, it sure beats recovering it everytime you get a new xbox, with this and the license migration, the whole process would take less than 2 minutes to move all your contents. This is of course, if you have a memory unit. Heres a cheap one-

http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=DUS0150-I%20D38029&source=fr (http://www.thetwistergroup.com/store/customer/product.php?productid=DUS0150-I%20D38029&source=fr)

For harddrives, its a bit more pricey but you get what you pay for. Heres a good one, Xsata, where you can use your hdd instead of mu. This is what it looks like, but im not sure where you can find one for sale.

http://www.360-hq.com/modules.php?name=Xbox_Hardware_Media&op=images&sid=97&action=image&id=40#screenshot

KIDDRAGON67
06-07-2009, 09:10 AM
when you purchase the 120gb HDD it comes with it and a disc showing you what to do, it's roughly $200 AUS which i think is $300-400 US (not 100% sure) if you got an elite xbxo you will have to ring MS for a cable.

everything gets transferred from lower HDD up to bigger HDD but not the other way around

arcades should work offline, unless in the future MS change it like they did with some DLC unable to work offline

and the 120gb HDD is currently the biggest