PDA

View Full Version : Power brick problem

hitman08
06-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Hi, turned my xbox on this morning and the power brick made a loud whirring noise, blew the dust off of it, but it is still very loud, is it broken?

pinksheets
06-07-2009, 10:42 AM
I'm not an electrical expert, but I would probably disconnect it entirely. You can pick up used power bricks at gamestop for like $40. Take a look at your current power brick before you replace it to make sure you get the right one. They'll let you return it if isn't right, though. Only time I've seen them in stores brand new was an Intec one at Game Crazy for $100.

Jethrow
06-07-2009, 11:08 AM
appearently the power bricks light changes color too if its failed. call MS, i remember the one time they were asking me what color the brick would change during certain tests, and when i asked why they told me about the color change

hitman08
06-07-2009, 11:27 AM
The light on the powerbrick still changes to green when i turn on the 360, and it boots up fine, Im just wondering why its making this noise. Thanks for the replies.

CyberSh3ff
06-07-2009, 11:34 AM
make sure the power plug is in properly and that it has enough space to 'breathe'

keep an eye on the colour of the power pack light over the next few days, if it goes red you may need to call microsoft.

hitman08
06-07-2009, 11:42 AM
The 360 and the power brick are on a 3 layer table unit kinda thing, the 360 is on the top shelf and the power brick is on the bottom shelf, i spent an hour and a half this morning sorting out the 1000 wires that are tangled and cleaning the shelves getting rid of the dust, i also cleaned all of the dust off of the power brick, i just remebered that its happened before, and i cleaned the dust off of it and it stopped making the noise, fingers crossed that when i turn it on again the noise will have stopped.

Rowey 94
06-07-2009, 11:51 AM
(Colour Of Light And Syntom's)

Red Light - Usually When You Turn Of Your Xbox Straight From The Plug Socket You Get A Red Light Before It Turns Off.

Orange Light - When The Xbox Is On Standbye. It Is Still Connected To Electricity.

Green Light - Your Xbox Is On And Working Correctly.

Other Light's - ' Your Fucked :( '

And Noises Usually Come From When Something Is Out Of Place.
Ive Never Opened A Power Brick Before But Im Pretty Sure They Got Fans.
You Might Have Banged It. And The Fan Guard May Have Fell Of And Might Be Scratching Against The Fan When The Fan Is In Motion.

Thats Just One Theory.

Thats Probably Whats Happened Though.
If That Is Whats Happened Just Give It Some Space From Now On.
Let It Breathe !

Hope This Helped. Rowey ,

Jethrow
06-07-2009, 12:08 PM
really? i didn't even think that it would have a fan in there, mine has been tucked away behind my wallunit so i couldn't hear if i wanted to, then again, compared to the sound of the 360, it would be hard to hear it anyways.

hitman08
06-07-2009, 12:25 PM
I looked for some screws to see if I could open it up, but i couldnt find any so Im assuming only microsoft can do it, i knew already that there were fans inside it cause at the rate i used my 360 it would of exploded if there wernt any fans hehe.

Rowey 94
06-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I looked for some screws to see if I could open it up, but i couldnt find any so Im assuming only microsoft can do it, i knew already that there were fans inside it cause at the rate i used my 360 it would of exploded if there wernt any fans hehe.

I Think My Theory Was Right I Bet Your Fan GuardHas Fallen Of And Is Rattling Around In The Brick. Then When You Turn The Xbox On The Fan Start Working And It Is Catching On To The Loose Fan Guard Which Is Causing Your Noise This Could Be Fatal. I'd Get It Chacked Out Personally

Jethrow
06-07-2009, 12:42 PM
well shit i gotta check this out and make sure its sitting right then, so there is airflow. FUCK man i'm so sick of 360 shit, why the fuck do i have to baby this machine more than my baby??? When i move this machine around i swear i'm 10 times more careful than i would be carrying eggs. I guess being on my 6th system does that to you. Anyways, i'm done, carry on

hitman08
06-07-2009, 01:40 PM
I disconnected all the wires and the noise started 10 seconds later after i had turned it on, but it just wont bugger off! im sick of all these feckin problems, if i cant fix this im gonna smash the piece of shit with a sledgehammer then buy an elite

Mr Burgerz
06-07-2009, 08:22 PM
The First-Rule of 360 Club - Don't talk ab... Don't close in your 360, no matter how well it might fit your cabinet!

hitman08
06-08-2009, 04:44 PM
Okay, so I went on it last night, ignored the noise, after 10 minutes it stopped and hasnt returned :woop:

mosin360
06-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Shoot, sounds like an old PC case fan I had. If I had the PC off for a long time, when I turned it on the noise would hum or such but within 5-10 minutes it would shut up. Seems with all that dust you had, might've had the motor a tad blocked. Dust man dust! :D

GhOsT SLaYeR
06-09-2009, 12:26 AM
idk what sound its making, but mine doesn't make any sounds...

I wouldn't really worry about it to much.