PDA

View Full Version : What do you get for making achievements?

Sykskar
12-30-2006, 09:33 AM
Hi,

I only got my 360 a few days ago for Xmas but already I'm in love with playing GoW multiplayer :D.

But from time to time I get achievements and I was wondering if anybody could tell me what exactly the point in them is?, can I trade the points made for something?.

I N64 I MaRiO
12-30-2006, 09:45 AM
well.. for one you get points the higher your points the more respect you have in xbl community...

Sykskar
12-30-2006, 10:36 AM
Hmm..

But it seems like you only get a good amount of GP from buying a lot of games and then playing them all the time, theres no relation to skill at all and when you take a step back it looks like another way for microsoft to squeeze money out of people desperate to be appreciated in an online community.

Personally, I respect players who demonstrate skill when I'm playing with them, not what looks to be a number that calculates how much of a life you don't have.

But the XBL community can't be so stupid, surely theres another reason to collect these points. can you swap them for microsoft points?. :woop:

DJAd
12-30-2006, 10:40 AM
can you swap them for microsoft points?. :woop:

No, but I also think this would be a good idea. Some way to 'earn' MS points would be a good idea. I mainly download the arcade games, most of them I already have as ROM's on my PC or whatever, so it's a bit annoying having to buy them again.

As for the gamerpoints, to me it's just a good bit of fun with my mates. A fair few now have 360's so everyone is always battling it out to be ahead. It's great when everybody gets a new game cos we all bundle on that.

Rainbow Six is getting a good thrashing at the moment! :)

Jmaster Jr
12-30-2006, 06:09 PM
having alot of achievment points means you love game all types of games

PerpetualHeaven
12-30-2006, 06:17 PM
What mario said is wrong. It's not all fame and glory for having a high gamerscore. I constantly have people riding my back saying I have no life or I need to get laid.. etc.
For me personally, Achievements are just something satisfying. I play video games I really like and I buy the ones I enjoy. Gears of war, PDZ, and Oblivion are the ones I own so far. I don't play those for achievements at all. Those games are just games I love. I don't go get the torque bow in a game just so I can get the achievement. I just use it because it's a good weapon or 90% I don't even use it.
Having a high score is a fairly huge commitment and can run you a lot of money. You can't do anything with the points, only bragging rights.

Im a Manatee
12-30-2006, 07:07 PM
Hmm..

But it seems like you only get a good amount of GP from buying a lot of games and then playing them all the time, theres no relation to skill at all and when you take a step back it looks like another way for microsoft to squeeze money out of people desperate to be appreciated in an online community.

Personally, I respect players who demonstrate skill when I'm playing with them, not what looks to be a number that calculates how much of a life you don't have.

But the XBL community can't be so stupid, surely theres another reason to collect these points. can you swap them for microsoft points?. :woop:

Please don't ever say that again. I get this, and I have 6400 gamerscore. Wreckon Dracgon, Exotic Fantasy, they both have kids and jobs, and have blazed a trail through 50K.

PerpetualHeaven
12-30-2006, 08:29 PM
Hmm..

Woah woah woah woah.. I didn't see that part. So apparently I have no life? I don't go to college, I don't go out to eat and see movies, I don't have a girlfriend, I don't spend time with my family, and so forth? Where do people come with this logic?

magictroll
12-30-2006, 10:56 PM

every 1000 points microsoft mails you a cookie.

Gunstar Chaos
12-31-2006, 05:07 AM
Actually its kinda proof to your buddies that you achieved a tough task, though some may not be as tough as others. I think achievements are quite fun.

CC99999
01-04-2007, 01:35 AM
Achievements are the Budha Nature of 360 games. It's what makes you play harder- or play new types of games. There are good and bad sides to it, sure. But I bet more people will play a lesser known game on the 360 than on the PS3 because of the achievement system.

It helps you find people to play games with online, as well. Maybe you played Gears of War with someone and got along well with them. You can read their card and figure out that they also have other games that you play.

I don't get why people think that high gamerscore equates to low life satisfaction.

I'm married to a lawyer-chick that is addicted to Final Fantasy XII, I make great money, drive a Porsche Boxster to work, and play games on my spare tv, a 43" Pioneer Elite Plasma. I work six days a week and earned 33,000 points in six months.

:p

ac2565
01-04-2007, 01:46 AM
Hmm..

Congratulations on making fun of people on this site.

mike21878
01-04-2007, 02:18 AM
This thread comes around every month or so ... as of now it's for nothing but us obsessive compulsive gamers love it. It's hard sometimes to play a non-achievement based game at times.

ContrastElement
01-04-2007, 03:44 AM
actually mike i was thinking the same thing because i might not have played some games like the arcade ones if they didnt have points but with most thats just a bonus

ArtificialDemon
01-04-2007, 05:11 AM
Hahaha. Achievement points are for what makes you feel good, like if you ever get the 10,000 kills in Gears of War, you feel good about yourself. Oh, and by the way, try not to hurt the feeling of all the people on this site. Their, err, fragile. For me, I play games, to play games.

ContrastElement
01-04-2007, 06:12 AM
rarely r games JUST for the game like gears or oblivion cuz most have at least a couple easy achievements that u see and r like "hmm i want to get that one"

ArtificialDemon
01-04-2007, 06:15 AM
rarely r games JUST for the game like gears or oblivion cuz most have at least a couple easy achievements that u see and r like "hmm i want to get that one"
:whs True. If there was an achievement that was easy, I'd probably do it while I'm playing the game.

thieflordgamer
01-04-2007, 06:54 AM
Or if you really love the game, achievements might encourage you to explore every avenue of the game. Oblivion is a great example.

ContrastElement
01-04-2007, 07:04 AM
true but when oblivion glitches constantly on u at tghe end of guilds it kinda puts u off, lol

ArtificialDemon
01-04-2007, 07:09 AM
And I don't even want to talk about the loading times.

ContrastElement
01-04-2007, 07:12 AM
hellya man when i was trying to finish the fighters guild in record time and the loading took almost as long as the frigin game

ArtificialDemon
01-04-2007, 07:14 AM
Or if you really love the game, achievements might encourage you to explore every avenue of the game. Oblivion is a great example.
Somewhat. But what about every other quest? It takes a determined gamer to keep playing it after you 1000. Or if you were in love with the game, or just bored.

ArtificialDemon
01-04-2007, 07:15 AM
hellya man when i was trying to finish the fighters guild in record time and the loading took almost as long as the frigin gameAmen.:drunk

thieflordgamer
01-04-2007, 07:42 AM
Somewhat. But what about every other quest? It takes a determined gamer to keep playing it after you 1000. Or if you were in love with the game, or just bored.

Yeah, but what I'm saying is the loading times and few frustrating parts would have made me stop playing possibly, but achievements kept me going. And in the end, I'm glad I finished the game, minus a few side quests. Earning that 1000 is really a great feeling.

ArtificialDemon
01-04-2007, 08:40 AM
Yeah, but what I'm saying is the loading times end few frustrating parts would have made me stop playing possibly, but achievements kept me going. And in the end, I'm glad I finished the game, minus a few side quests. Earning that 1000 is really a great feeling.
Yes,sir!:goodpost

Maka
01-04-2007, 03:26 PM
Hmm..

They are basically a way to demonstrate skill without actually playing someone... Just for example you can look at my Gamercard, and see that I've played Gow, and also racked up quite a few of the "Harder " achievements, therefore giving me bragging rights over you...

I could show you that I aced Burnout Revenge which took 55 Hours, without you being there...

Eternal Prince
01-04-2007, 08:48 PM
Why did you come to an achievements site and say that having a high gamerscore means you have no life?

xX DaSecret Xx
01-17-2007, 02:28 AM
Idk, achivements keep me going for that 1000. people accuse me of gamesaving all the time.:uzi:

JonnyC VT
01-17-2007, 03:54 AM
Why did you come to an achievements site and say that having a high gamerscore means you have no life?

Exactly. I think in our own special ways, we all want to believe we have lives (well, we probably do for that matter). The most overused line to combat someone with a high gamerscore is the whole "no life" element. Well, I'm pretty sure that half of us here are "getting laid, getting drunk with friends, being a parent, having kids" etc, sorry we just like gaming too.