PDA

View Full Version : Really bad overheating!! ideas??

pX I Atticus
06-08-2009, 11:07 PM
right at this time my xbox is so hot i cant touch the back of it i have to have a table fan blowing straight onto the back to just try and keep it cool. thing is it goes red hot straight away it not like its been on for hours and ideas about WTF is goin on?

ToXiCRalN
06-08-2009, 11:08 PM
Check if there is dust in the holes. If there's dust then that's the problem. Your going to need some kind of vacuum to suck that dust up.

pX I Atticus
06-08-2009, 11:23 PM
Check if there is dust in the holes. If there's dust then that's the problem. Your going to need some kind of vacuum to suck that dust up.

thing is theres no dust OMG im so :S lol

GhOsT SLaYeR
06-08-2009, 11:29 PM
Put it where LOTS of air cirrculation can be, and put a fan ( like your doing...) and try that... it should heat up that fast/hot tho--

Jethrow
06-08-2009, 11:49 PM
right at this time my xbox is so hot i cant touch the back of it i have to have a table fan blowing straight onto the back to just try and keep it cool. thing is it goes red hot straight away it not like its been on for hours and ideas about WTF is goin on?

This isn't how i'd be setting it up, the machine is trying to blow the hot air out of the machine, and your pushing the airflow back to the machine, i would position the fan (assuming your horizontal) towards the hdd side from the front. Also, try to prop your machine off the table a bit. I have these wierd window locks under mine, it gives me enough room to just about fit my hand under it.

mosin360
06-08-2009, 11:56 PM
As Jethrow said, you are putting the fan in the worst spot. But, I would put the fan directed towards the other end as it has a much larger area for the air to go in. I would only put the fan on the hard drive side if that sucker is very hot. Heck, you might need two fans. I would also recommend installing games since the dvd drive puts out a crazy amount of heat.

You didn't mention the enviroment you have the 360 in. Basement, 2nd story, air condition on, next to a heat vent, in a enclosed area, ect ect.

Jethrow
06-09-2009, 12:05 AM
As Jethrow said, you are putting the fan in the worst spot. But, I would put the fan directed towards the other end as it has a much larger area for the air to go in. I would only put the fan on the hard drive side if that sucker is very hot. Heck, you might need two fans. I would also recommend installing games since the dvd drive puts out a crazy amount of heat.

You didn't mention the enviroment you have the 360 in. Basement, 2nd story, air condition on, next to a heat vent, in a enclosed area, ect ect.

now that i think of it, i never really looked at the bottom, or opposite the hdd, is there an air intake on that side? if so, then definetely put it there. I was thinking for myself, to get one of those laptop coolers, its flat and has somefans for under a laptop, wonder if anyone has used one on their 360.

mosin360
06-09-2009, 12:14 AM
The ends are the same design expect the hard drive blocks most of the top/left one when it's attached. You also have to remember that the dvd drive is on the top/left so it's blocking the flow while the bottom/right has nothing in the way.

There are little to no air vents on the bottom of the 360 so a laptop cooler would cool the plastic but not do anything for the actual temp inside since the layer is plastic then metal then circuit board.

pX I Atticus
06-09-2009, 12:49 AM
well having the fan seems to cool it down. but do i really want a table fan on everytime i turn it on grrr this sucks

mosin360
06-09-2009, 12:52 AM
Just to make sure, the internal fans are still blowing air out correct? Is it weak or still strong? Can you take a pic of how you got your 360 setup so we could see if there is something you've missed?

Revolver
06-09-2009, 03:03 AM
Get an intercooler and put the table fan if things are really that bad.
I only use the intercooler and everything is fine with my Xbox.

pX I Atticus
06-09-2009, 03:40 AM
Just to make sure, the internal fans are still blowing air out correct? Is it weak or still strong? Can you take a pic of how you got your 360 setup so we could see if there is something you've missed?

i will try im gonna go to bed now tho as its 4:40am ZzZzZzZz lol will try 2moz

luckyluke02
06-09-2009, 09:30 PM
may be a bit extreme but create a custom case like a pc case with fans or even put a liquid cooling system

Mr Burgerz
06-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Put it in a bucket of ice water! Keeps my drinks cool, don't see why it wouldn't work with an X-box.*

*Disclaimer: Don't.

Jethrow
06-09-2009, 09:55 PM
may be a bit extreme but create a custom case like a pc case with fans or even put a liquid cooling system

Do you know anyone who has done this? Do you have any pics, i'd be interested in checking that out, thanks

Retro Thanos
06-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Out of curiosity...

How long have you had your Xbox 360 before this overheating problem occurred?

sevinup07
06-10-2009, 04:21 AM
Why not buy a 360 cooling fan? They fit right on it and suck the hot air out. You can pick up for like $20 anyplace that sells games/systems.