PDA

View Full Version : Project Natal Struggles with different skin colours...?

B1GM13
06-10-2009, 10:25 AM
Project Natal has been receiving high mark in terms of innovative technology and unique ideas. However, not all is well with the concept, or so it would seem. During E3, N’Gai Croal wasn’t having as easy of a time with Natal during a Paradise test drive.

Dan Hsu on Bitmod (http://bitmob.com/index.php/mobfeed/Project-Natal-Hands-Feet-Arms-Legs-Torso-Heads-On-Impressions.html) describes: “When game consultant and former Newsweek writer N'Gai Croal gave Paradise a test drive, however, the game had trouble reading his steering actions. The footwork (gas and brakes) worked fine, but Croal couldn't steer his car at all. It wasn't clear whether this was a problem of calibration differences between Tsunoda and Croal's very different body types, or if Croal's crazy dreadlocks threw Natal off. But it was working just fine when Tsunoda was at the "wheel."”

Different body types? Could Natal be so sensitive that certain body structures and physical builds throw off the calibration of the camera? That’s certainly a possibility or is it that the camera simply had a hard time detecting Croal because of his skin color? This is actually quite possible. In a test report of Near-infrared spectroscopy, the technology does have a problem detecting darker skinned individuals.

In the report (http://www.springerlink.com/content/p75x879k24k36185/): "The NIRS device failed to register tissue saturation values at some point in nine of seventeen volunteers. This occurred more often in individuals with darker skin. Conclusions. In patients with a dark pigmented skin, NIRS StO2 measurements should be interpreted with caution, as melanin clearly interferes with the quality of the reflected NIRS signal."

Hopefully, the development team is aware of this situation and finds a solution. This could be catastrophic if not taken care of immediately.

Source - http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-12218-Providence-Video-Game-Examiner~y2009m6d9-Project-Natal-Racist

mmartynn
06-10-2009, 12:57 PM
lol. i knew it would be shitty wen i first heard of it. give me a controller not some motion sensored piece if shit!

Domantos
06-10-2009, 01:04 PM
I guess they don't expect gamers to get a tan then =p

/Domantos

dakisbac
06-10-2009, 01:12 PM
I said right from the beginning that it wouldn't work as anywhere near as well as they say it will, although we are still a while off of public release so this issue will probably have been dealt with by then

InkedUp
06-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Yeah I'm sure they'll fix this before they release it, you know how good MS is at fixing issues before they put it out. Ok, enough sarcasm for now. I guess I'll just have to avoid going to the tanning salon and stay as pale as I can right before they release this lol

sweatdog
06-10-2009, 01:40 PM
Clearly, the technology needs a LOT of work before it's ready for the market. I find the simpler, but similar, WII controller to be imprecise and not the best choice for games requiring precision controls such as first person shooters, sports games, racing games, etc. Basically the genres of games most popular amongst hard-core gamers. Even if the kinks are worked out, this is a product best servicing casual gamers and people who want to use the system for non-game related content.

I suspect that this problem will be corrected well before this product is released. Microsoft has too much riding on this rollout to jeopardize it's success with the bad press they would receive otherwise. I'm more concerned about whether Microsoft is going to force this technology down the throats of producers, forcing them to utilize this technology in new games, and potentially alienating the gamer fan base with which they have a large advantage in the market.

B1GM13
06-10-2009, 01:45 PM
sorta causes a problem for me,... i kinda have the whole year round tan thing

... i would curse the fact that my Dad is from Mauritius... but id take a holiday at our place in Mauritius over project Natal anyday ;)

jimi_stephen
06-10-2009, 04:29 PM

/Domantos

You go outside? What's it like, I haven't seen it in 5 years.

khamelion
06-10-2009, 05:10 PM
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm264/HFORSTER_JUGGALO/thats_racist.gif

seriously, that's one hell of a mistake. would someone who isn't picked up by the camera have to use something extra to get it to work?
gloves or a stick, that sort of thing. of course if facial recognition doesn't work either, i predict a media shitstorm.

Yunder
06-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Even my dad said that this looked stupid. I really hope that they don't go through with this. I hope something very wrong happens to this. Oh wait, skin color? That'll work. ;)

Pure Efficiency
06-10-2009, 06:22 PM

/Domantos
Haha! I don't think they'll have to worry to much about that.

AmishFury
06-10-2009, 10:27 PM
they should pack in a "no coloreds" sign with it

A Pharmacist
06-10-2009, 10:42 PM
Meh, there's plenty of time to work out any bugs.

N-Forced
06-10-2009, 11:00 PM
this is exactly why it's still a prototype.

gamerguy69
06-10-2009, 11:06 PM
this is exactly why it's still a prototype.

But the family in that video seemed to be having so much fun!!! Oh, were they actors??!!! :confused:

:p

D.A.N.
06-11-2009, 05:29 AM
I'm sure Microsoft knows they have to fix this, and if they didn't, they better be on it ASAP. You don't wanna have a system where people can go "too bad black people can't play!"

I can already see the NAACP bullshitting some publicity stunt complaints about it now.

N-Forced
06-11-2009, 07:39 PM
But the family in that video seemed to be having so much fun!!! Oh, were they actors??!!! :confused:

:p ha nice one. :p

rvlution
06-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Jimmy Fallon tested it out and it looked pretty cool. Then again, the Roots didn't so...

DDcup x
06-11-2009, 10:34 PM
Surely it will have custom calibration?
eg, setting skin tones to match, body build etc.

ToXiCRalN
06-11-2009, 10:49 PM
This "Project Natal" is going to fail IMO. I think it would just be too hard to implement this in every single game.

Nightbeam
06-11-2009, 10:52 PM
Why is this news? Wasn't this just announced? For god sakes its PROJECT. This is like nothing we've ever seen (don't even compare it to the Wii). On topic, am I the only one who likes my controller? Jeez, I don't want to swing my body around like some retard.

DDcup x
06-11-2009, 10:56 PM
On topic, am I the only one who likes my controller? Jeez, I don't want to swing my body around like some retard.

Shouldnt think your alone on that one.

Tbh, i think NATAL will be for casual gaming. nothing too serious.

Nightbeam
06-11-2009, 11:00 PM
Shouldnt think your alone on that one.

Tbh, i think NATAL will be for casual gaming. nothing too serious.

Hopefully, I'm not thinking that it will fail, but for gamers wanting more out of a system they'd probably go back to controllers.

quidyg
06-11-2009, 11:15 PM
On topic, am I the only one who likes my controller? Jeez, I don't want to swing my body around like some retard.

you say that as if your controller wont work with your 360 once this is released.

i think project natal is a pretty good idea, i will give it a try and if i dont like it, i'll go back to using a controller. they will fix this issue but i'm thinking how long it will take.

epik499
06-12-2009, 04:07 AM
I wish this stuff would be in closed door development. The Wii controls suck, flail the controller around because the way its supposed to recognize - it doesn't.
Natal, sigh... I think in maybe 10 years, at the earliest, this stuff will really start to be good. Until then, pleas stop releasing it and start perfecting it.

FourChan
06-12-2009, 05:01 AM
Great, my Xbox 360 is racist.

Mr Burgerz
06-12-2009, 10:09 PM
Two things - 1. http://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/11/microsoft-project-natal-obviously-works-with-people-of-all-ethttp://www.joystiq.com/2009/06/11/microsoft-project-natal-obviously-works-with-people-of-all-et/

2. Technology can't really be said to be racist, as it can't make that sort of value judgement, unless designed to be actively racist. The problem is not the colour of the skin persay ie. race, but the visual colour of the person - I'm guessing that if someone chose to play in all black clothing, or wore a balaclava : D, PN would work at the same poor levels!