PDA

View Full Version : Just got my xbox back, changing everything

Chris_Krol
06-10-2009, 02:12 PM
Alright this is gonna be a long one so stay with me. So I got my xbox back yesterday, and tried not to go to hard on it, but you know you just lose track of time. After the first 2 hours of my play session I noticed when I touched the back fan of the console it was pretty hot. Then when I would shut down it was a little bit delayed when turning off, so is this normal?
Then today I decided that I wouldn't keep my 360 in this sort of entertainment center that I have thinking maybe its not being ventillated properly and that is why it was hot in the back. So I'm setting it up now and going to take my 360 out of the entertainment center and put a coffee table near it, and put the 360 on that. So that way it is wide open on top. So hopefully that will help, now I heard it is a good idea to keep your 360 elevated off of the surface, so I put these 2 manga books from back in the day underneath it so is that a good idea, or what do you use?

Chris_Krol

kaleido42
06-10-2009, 02:25 PM
The coffee table idea should be fine as long as there is nothing on the sides either as there appear to be tiny "vents" there as well. I personally would not suggest putting comic books underneath as the idea of elevating it is to keep lots of space between the vents and any other surface and the books may be just putting more stuff in there. What I would maybe suggest is if you have any old lego you could build a stand out of that making sure that you build to not block (preferably not go near) any of the vents. While doing that you may wish to "optimize the use of the padding on the one side by using thin lego blocks to raise that area the most so as not to scratch the system (if you really worry about that any). In theory that should work fine, I know a guy who uses old lego to make all sorts of things like for video games, laptops, etc. and everything works for him.

[Waggly Bean]
06-10-2009, 02:35 PM
I think the elevation idea is just so there is airflow. The general rule is just to make sure the vents can, well, vent. In other words, don't put it on a carpet where it'll sink into it and block the vents - on any sort of table or stand should be absolutely fine.

But hell, if you want to be anal about it and be totally safe, feel free to build a LEGO fort for it as the guy above mentioned! :p

Domantos
06-10-2009, 02:41 PM
Not to mention a clean room, make sure to hoover at least once a week. An xbox full of dust is a dead xbox ;)

/Domantos

DTwirler
06-10-2009, 03:22 PM
I want a LEGO fort for my Xbox. :p

[Waggly Bean]
06-10-2009, 03:24 PM
I want a LEGO fort for my Xbox. :p

You're not allowed one! :p

Rowey 94
06-10-2009, 03:34 PM
Yeah The Delay Happens All The Time..
Bout 1 - 7 Seconds

InkedUp
06-10-2009, 03:44 PM
I put old water bottle caps under the 4 corners of my Xbox to raise it and keep air flow going through. I have been thinking about getting one of those curved laptop stands that raises it and has a fan to blow heat out and away from my 360. Anybody tried one of those?

kaleido42
06-10-2009, 09:34 PM
I know its a bit off topic but a couple of the things that he made out of lego include somewhat of a laptop stand and a stand for his old playstation that kept it upside down (for some reason it wouldn't work if it was right side up)?

mosin360
06-10-2009, 11:21 PM
You didn't mention if you install your games or not. I've notice a big difference so I install every game now unless I'm just doing something quickly.

GhOsT SLaYeR
06-10-2009, 11:50 PM
^ if you install games your xbox runs better??? by better i mean cooler.... i didn't know that..

Nightbeam
06-11-2009, 12:20 AM
I have my 360 sideways, and the book thing has worked fine for me. There are vents on top and on the sides where it would allow books to be under. I have 60g pro and I've had it like this for 5 months. Its on my dresser though, so I'm pretty sure it would be PERFECTLY fine for you.

Shaftiel
06-12-2009, 02:07 AM
^ if you install games your xbox runs better??? by better i mean cooler.... i didn't know that.. A TON cooler, because the disk drive doesn't spin, only the HD. It's also quieter. Like mosin360, I try to install everything now.

dakisbac
06-12-2009, 03:11 AM
Best things for your box: keep it off the floor (elevated), keep it out of confined areas, install games, keep the box horizontal, and don't "give it a break" too often.

That last one may seem a little odd, so let me clarify: If you're going to be playing for let's say 8 hours, don't play for 2, take a ten minute break, then repeat. Like a car, it's better for the machine to be running constantly than to be switched on, off, on, off, etc.

Pure Efficiency
06-12-2009, 05:09 AM
As long as you don't block any of the system's vents you should be fine.

Gackt
06-12-2009, 06:24 AM
I have mine sitting on a few dvd cases, works pretty well...never have had it overheat.

Mr Burgerz
06-12-2009, 10:21 PM
;2032162']
But hell, if you want to be anal about it and be totally safe, feel free to build a LEGO fort for it as the guy above mentioned! :p

TBH, if you start playing with lego, you'll never need your x-box again, because you've got lego instead!

BigFellaJake
06-12-2009, 10:29 PM
TBH, if you start playing with lego, you'll never need your x-box again, because you've got lego instead!

What if he plays lego starwars?

Ben Sharpe
06-12-2009, 10:35 PM
What if he plays lego starwars?

Still not a patch on Lego ;)

TheVoidRose
06-13-2009, 08:08 AM
I have always kept my 360 on the floor next to the stand of my tv but between my games rack. My stand DEMANDS room and my rack spins to reveal my poor collection of bad movies so it has alot of breathing space.

That helped keep my first system 2 years ago fine for 2 years, no red ring. Upgraded to Elite status and placed it same spot, never a problem till the NXE came out. Its a bit buggy such as freezeing menus at dashboard and stuff. I think as long as you treat it like you should, keep your baby safe.