06-11-2009, 03:18 AM
Why do you get achievements?

bobocum
06-11-2009, 03:25 AM
For a feeling of self accomplishment.

And it's fun :D

CyanideBreathMint
06-11-2009, 04:07 AM
Honestly? C'mon bub. At least explain why you yourself get them, otherwise it just looks like an ill thought post. Achievements at this stage is like asking why folks like to play video games.

I second FragGrenade94's (I still refuse to type his X360A username damn him! LOL) reasons.

Revolver
06-11-2009, 04:10 AM
Mainly because of the cute little pictures they come with, I love the Fallout 3 ones, especially the ones that have the baby Pip-Boy.:woop:

Glowin Smurff
06-11-2009, 04:20 AM
the question is not why, the question is why not?

seriously, even ps3 tried to immitate the achievement idea...ahemm trophies anyone? lmao.

-for a feeling of accomplishment for completing titles.

Bleeding Star
06-11-2009, 05:03 AM
Microsoft force me too

Pure Efficiency
06-11-2009, 05:10 AM
If I didn't get achievements what else would I do? With my gaming time at least..

LoveAGramm
06-11-2009, 05:13 AM
So we have an visible manifestation of how pathetic our lives are.

Yunder
06-11-2009, 05:16 AM
Achievements are my anti-drug.

D.A.N.
06-11-2009, 05:23 AM
Because there is generally more to do in games because of them. It really adds to the replay value.

Pirate
06-11-2009, 05:31 AM
Because there is generally more to do in games because of them. It really adds to the replay value.
Exactly, why else would you carry a gnome around for 3 hours(Half Life 2) or beat GH3 on expert using a xbox controller?

Blue Radium
06-11-2009, 06:00 AM
Achievements add to the overall game experience. For Nearly every single game out there, getting 100% completion requires finishing the game and then some. It's because of the achievements that there is that "and then some" that adds to the overall gaming experience. So when I play games purely for achievements, I am basically milking a game for all it's worth.

SynysterMonkey
06-11-2009, 06:03 AM
Your E-penis gets bigger. Duh.

itb72
06-11-2009, 06:07 AM
cuz the Achievement Fairy comes and gives you a BJ the very night you get one.

LoveAGramm
06-11-2009, 06:14 AM
Your E-penis gets bigger. Duh.
MY EPEEN IS OVER TWENTY ONE THOUSAND INCHES!!!!!!!
cuz the Achievement Fairy comes and gives you a BJ the very night you get one. I wish!

Yunder
06-11-2009, 06:24 AM
cuz the Achievement Fairy comes and gives you a BJ the very night you get one.

And what of the ladies dear sir? Hmmmm? What do you say to that?

LoveAGramm
06-11-2009, 06:28 AM
And what of the ladies dear sir? Hmmmm? What do you say to that? They actually get it better. The LoveAGramm comes over to 'congratulate' their accomplishments. Why do you think Cru's score is so high?

itb72
06-11-2009, 06:32 AM
And what of the ladies dear sir? Hmmmm? What do you say to that?

why would i be thinking about the ladies when i'm getting a virtual BJ from an Achievement Fairy whose name is Eliza Cuthbert? oh, that reminds me, i need to get my nightly achievement.....

helta_skelta
06-11-2009, 06:38 AM
they give me a warm fuzzy feeling inside and i like the noise of them when they pop up

RuthlessJMT
06-11-2009, 07:50 AM
so we have something to work for while we are playling

LH Cerberus
06-11-2009, 08:10 AM
just for the "BLING" :locked, i love this sound.

no, its because sometimes u have to play every little detail or discover every corner in a game to get an achievement. its an obsession.

Cosmic CHAOS 89
06-11-2009, 08:12 AM
It's cool to earn something while we play...and we can also curse our friends when they sign on to xbox live as you are trying to get some tough achievement

PMILL69
06-11-2009, 01:45 PM
i think it looks cool myself then if you get a hard one like seriously you can show it off obiously i mean you have to get seriously legit and not boost it

Jethrow
06-11-2009, 02:12 PM
achivements make playing the game i little more interesting. They also make people want to play games on harder difficulty levels, participate online and just have more fun. Increases replayablilty alot more than without.

dakisbac
06-11-2009, 02:40 PM
Achievements, for me, are part of the 100% completion requirement. And I've been going for 100% on every game since I started back on the SNES

KFZ Scrubs
06-12-2009, 01:43 AM
My question is why do people keep asking why we get achievements?
We get them because we like them thats why.

Primate
06-12-2009, 02:17 AM
Pretty much self satisfaction. Its nice to get a little virtual pat on the back for a job well done :D

CyanideBreathMint
06-12-2009, 03:49 AM
My question is why do people keep asking why we get achievements?
We get them because we like them thats why.
Qft. It's not like we have much choice in the matter if we're going to play a 360 title.

XxBlueSpade2xX
06-12-2009, 04:34 AM
If they didn't pop up and make a sound, I probably wouldn't notice as much. But I like watching my progress.

ExtremeRugburn
06-12-2009, 04:45 AM
I never thought twice about achievements until about 5 months ago. I just played games and when they poped up I thought ok whatever. I still don't care about collecting hordes of them because I am such a casual gamer, however the few games I do play I feel like I want to dominate them completely by earning as many achievements as possible. It gives me a sense that I maximized my investment in the game and that people can't question my ability in the game or my knowledge of it. Furthermore, some games give you perks for achievements, such as Mass Effect, and now that Microsoft has announced that future achievements will unlock avatar options it makes collecting them a little more interesting.

Gackt
06-12-2009, 04:51 AM
I was under the impression id get women if I had high gamerscore..... someone lied to me :(

ThaFireman
06-12-2009, 05:10 AM
They're fun to get. Without achievements, I wouldn't have rented some games and been surprised that I liked them.

Darth Grif55
06-12-2009, 05:15 AM
I do it because it's fun & it's something to do when I'm bored.

TheFalcon
06-12-2009, 05:57 AM
i think good old stallion put it best in his blog awhile back. he refered to it as "playing gamerscore". basically the concept means that you are playing a never ending game. the "game" itself is your gamerscore; it's always increasing and there's near limitless oppurtunities to increase it. each 360 game you play is like a mission in this massive game called gamerscore. it's the game that never ends and it's a game that changes with each new "mission".

this is how i look at it. i've been a gamer all my life, but there was always 1 aspect of gaming that was a real downer for me; beating the game. i was happy for the accomplishment, but saddened that the game was done and overwith. i would usually have nothing else to play because i was selective about what i played and would play maybe 10 or so games a year.

the achievement system was my long awaited cure. now it doesn't bother me to finish the game because there's always another one to play! there's so many games and possibilites out there i feel like i'm playing a never ending game, which is what i've been looking for all this time. achievements have opened so many doors and motivated me to play games i would NEVER touched normally. i ended up really enjoying games like CSI Hard Evidence, the bourne conspiracy, fight night round 3, quantum of solace, king kong (yes i really did like this game) and many more. in addition to this, it's motivated me to try different things in games i would have already played. i prolly would have never touched condemed 2's MP if it weren't for achievements and it turned out to be a blast!

achievements, in my opinion, is one of the single greatest things to happen to the gaming world. last generation, 90% of my gaming time was spent playing halo and halo 2 with the occasional splinter cell or something thrown into the mix. achievements have revived my passion for gaming that i had when i was younger when i would play just about anything and enjoy it (usually).

TLDR version: i <3 achievements!

SubG3nius
06-12-2009, 07:41 AM

Couldn't say it better myself.

LoveAGramm
06-12-2009, 08:47 AM
i think good old stallion put it best in his blog awhile back. he refered to it as "playing gamerscore". basically the concept means that you are playing a never ending game. the "game" itself is your gamerscore; it's always increasing and there's near limitless oppurtunities to increase it. each 360 game you play is like a mission in this massive game called gamerscore. it's the game that never ends and it's a game that changes with each new "mission".

this is how i look at it. i've been a gamer all my life, but there was always 1 aspect of gaming that was a real downer for me; beating the game. i was happy for the accomplishment, but saddened that the game was done and overwith. i would usually have nothing else to play because i was selective about what i played and would play maybe 10 or so games a year.

the achievement system was my long awaited cure. now it doesn't bother me to finish the game because there's always another one to play! there's so many games and possibilites out there i feel like i'm playing a never ending game, which is what i've been looking for all this time. achievements have opened so many doors and motivated me to play games i would NEVER touched normally. i ended up really enjoying games like CSI Hard Evidence, the bourne conspiracy, fight night round 3, quantum of solace, king kong (yes i really did like this game) and many more. in addition to this, it's motivated me to try different things in games i would have already played. i prolly would have never touched condemed 2's MP if it weren't for achievements and it turned out to be a blast!

achievements, in my opinion, is one of the single greatest things to happen to the gaming world. last generation, 90% of my gaming time was spent playing halo and halo 2 with the occasional splinter cell or something thrown into the mix. achievements have revived my passion for gaming that i had when i was younger when i would play just about anything and enjoy it (usually).

TLDR version: i <3 achievements! I was always a fan of have perfect/maxed out files in every game I play. Now with achievements in some games, its a visual representation of something I worked hard at.

agentplatypus
06-12-2009, 08:57 AM
Because I like them.

o0 TommyGuns 0o
06-12-2009, 08:59 AM
cause its addicting

GrUnTxSKaTeR
06-12-2009, 11:36 AM
To get a feeling of accomplishment, they're fun, and its awesome to watch your score go up and up!

Shaftiel
06-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Achievements, for me, are part of the 100% completion requirement. And I've been going for 100% on every game since I started back on the SNES Same here. Some of my RL friends mock me for my gamerscore, but whatever, they've always been confused about my getting 100% in every game. And they suck at games in general. :woop:

velho lobodomar
06-12-2009, 04:41 PM
because im a workaholic, and achievements gave me a pretty good excuse to keep working on something while playing games

stevanov
06-12-2009, 04:47 PM
i like that *beleeeep* sound it makes :3

jamieCR7
06-12-2009, 04:58 PM
They are fun to achieve, and they make people jealous. Can't remember how many times people slag me for getting achievements, then celebrate when they get one?

BlaZiN cdn
06-12-2009, 07:39 PM
The same reason I beat up toddlers, it makes me feel big.

ZundayXx
06-12-2009, 08:22 PM
Simply because they're fun...

Behelit Outlaw
06-12-2009, 08:29 PM
Playing without them is just boring ! No real goal :p

LoveAGramm
06-13-2009, 04:27 AM
i like that *beleeeep* sound it makes :3
The same reason I beat up toddlers, it makes me feel big.
I'm torn because I love both reasons equally!

jimi_stephen
06-13-2009, 04:29 AM
to make my e-penis look bigger. I need to work on it :(