PDA

View Full Version : USB wireless internet

gooniesala
06-11-2009, 09:01 AM
Because I no longer have someone paying half my internet bills, I'm trying to find away to get the net cheaper but still good enough to run without feeling like dial up.

USB wireless internet seem easy to use, and a good one shouldnt drop out i had it all planned - but then i remembered, what about my xboxlive.

So my question is, can i somehow use a USB wireless internet (3G-USB dongle -thankie for that)... can i use it with my xboxlive? I know the xbox can have a wireless adapter put on, but that will run to slowly. Can i plug in the 3G-USB dongle into a USB port on the xbox?

Otherwise i'll have to give up my live after it runs out if i cant afford the internet on the higher speedrating.

Hope that makes sense, little hard to explain when i dont know what to call everything 100% a thingo in the thingy with the thingamijgi!

:(

Domantos
06-11-2009, 09:13 AM
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'USB wireless internet', but I'll assume a bit.

If you are referring to 3G-USB dongle:
You connect this to your PC, now if your PC has a network card you can use 'internet connection sharing' feature and share the internet via ethernet cable to your xbox. You will more than likely have to buy a crossover ethernet cable for this to work and your computer will have to be on in order for the xbox to access the internet.

DId that help?

/Domantos

gooniesala
06-11-2009, 09:21 AM
3G-USB dongle:

yup basically waht it is, wasn't sure if it was called a "dongle" or boardband or what not - my dad has one thru the 3 network, just wondering if it works with the xbox.

So connecting the PC as the main and run the xbox to the PC. (goes back to edit her post to make it make sense)

TheViegas
06-11-2009, 03:09 PM
I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'USB wireless internet', but I'll assume a bit.

You connect this to your PC, now if your PC has a network card you can use 'internet connection sharing' feature and share the internet via ethernet cable to your xbox. You will more than likely have to buy a crossover ethernet cable for this to work and your computer will have to be on in order for the xbox to access the internet.

DId that help?

/Domantos

Straight through cables work. A cross over would not work or be needed in this situation. The one that came with the 360 works for that scenario. My brother-in-law's 360 is connected to the internet from sharing it from a laptop and uses that cable.

iKiddo
06-11-2009, 03:13 PM
Chances are you would not even save a penny that way but be paying a heck of a lot more. For that to work you need your Internet on the pc up and on the 360 using double the usage and the "unlimited" cap is silly low.

TheViegas
06-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Chances are you would not even save a penny that way but be paying a heck of a lot more. For that to work you need your Internet on the pc up and on the 360 using double the usage and the "unlimited" cap is silly low.

I don't know what unlimited cap means, but we actually got a better connection this way vs. wireless. It wouldn't matter if your PC is on when you are on 360. If it is just "on" and not being used, it isn't utilizing the internet's bandwidth, and you will be fine on Live! I'm guessing that is what you were refering to when saying "using double the usage".

Domantos
06-12-2009, 06:31 AM
Straight through cables work. A cross over would not work or be needed in this situation. The one that came with the 360 works for that scenario. My brother-in-law's 360 is connected to the internet from sharing it from a laptop and uses that cable.

This might work, that all depends on the network card in your PC. If it can detect what is in the other end of the cable it can switch it's 'send' and 'listen' points and thus any cable will work. But in my case the network card doesn't, so I needed a crossover.

/Domantos

Domantos
06-12-2009, 07:15 AM
I don't know what unlimited cap means, but we actually got a better connection this way vs. wireless. It wouldn't matter if your PC is on when you are on 360. If it is just "on" and not being used, it isn't utilizing the internet's bandwidth, and you will be fine on Live! I'm guessing that is what you were refering to when saying "using double the usage".

This will all depend on your internet service provider (ISP) some have maximum usage caps (aka you can only download a certain amount before they slow your connection way down, disconnect you or make you pay more).
3G is also very sensitive on where you are, in some places it has an excellent connection and you get a good speed, whereas in other areas you get almost no connection at all and the speed is lousy. Not to mention if there are many users on the 3G network at any given point, then the speed will more than likely drop for everyone.
To get the best out of your 3G, make sure it has a clear view out towards the nearest connection point, like by the window. And if it doesn't work on one side of the house, then try on the other side =P

And saving money, well, if you have a monster PC, and it needs to be turned on for your xbox to reach live. Well, then your electricity-bill might be the one that makes you pay ;)

/Domantos

iKiddo
06-12-2009, 07:22 AM

I was mainly on about 3. They tried selling me and my mum one with this unlimited thing but it was really poor offer.

Mr Burgerz
06-12-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that you'll be able to find decent internet packages for cheap enough to afford, at least at the same price as a dongle! You're effectively paying extra for mobility, so a static connection should be quicker at the same price!

gooniesala
06-12-2009, 10:35 PM
the one i would like on ADSL2 is not available in my area for another 6-12months, which is a great speed and half the price. Otherwise i'd be fine, but the rates for me for a good speed - $59.95. The dongle i can claim thru work so i wont pay anything o:]

thank you to everyone for the info - might give it a shot see if it works.

TheViegas
06-13-2009, 01:51 PM
If you have a cell phone, that can be used as a modem. I worked as a network admin in Iraq if people have similar questions and need help.

AmishFury
06-13-2009, 03:54 PM

You connect this to your PC, now if your PC has a network card you can use 'internet connection sharing' feature and share the internet via ethernet cable to your xbox.

you can also do internet connection sharing through wireless too... if the OP already has the wireless adapter for the xbox

TheViegas
06-13-2009, 04:55 PM
And saving money, well, if you have a monster PC, and it needs to be turned on for your xbox to reach live. Well, then your electricity-bill might be the one that makes you pay ;)

/Domantos

Whether it is a monster or puny, that really is the least of your worries when coming to an electric bill. Phones, fridge, dryers, washing machines, modems, routers, printers, TVs, entertainment systems and others are mostly plugged in all the time, or on stand-by. Is it that bad to have your computer on and the 360? Not that much. Most HDTVs stay in standby when not on.
The BEST way to get a near perfect connection, is to only have one thing plugged into the modem at a time, and not running through routers. I'm only talking on the home networking level. Having a computer on while you are playing 360 is the same if you had digital cable and other people in the house were watching TV while you were using the internet. The only time I experienced problems, is when my brother was playing WaW online on Wii while I was playing on 360 and my wife was on her laptop. But examples like that should be no-brainers on why.