PDA

View Full Version : games memory lane

Sixthbrick
06-12-2009, 10:42 AM
every now and then i have my xbox dry patch,where i have got the majority of my points and played most of my game sto death,

but lately i have been looking at some old games on older consoles i have really been wanting to play again,

Final fantasy 7
soul reaver
metal gear solid,
resident evil (original)
doom 3
(i have a ps3 gathering dust somewhere around here so the playstation games wont be a problem)

but the time it will take me to do a full play through on these games (FF7 mostly) will take me forever, is this time i could be useing to get thos achievements i just cant be botherd to get? or should i take a stroll down games memory lane?,

[Waggly Bean]
06-12-2009, 10:52 AM
I wouldn't take a stroll down memory lane with FFVII if you intend to complete it. Although I know I've gone back and played the first few hours of FFVII loads of times over the years - just until you get out of Midgar on the bike usually.

I would recommend playing more 'quick blast' games. Recently I've got a bit sick of playing games in a way towards achievements so I've been playing my XBox purely for fun value, and I've also hooked up my Amiga CD32, which I keep having quick blasts on. It's such an awesome machine - it's great to play an hour of Cannon Fodder or Chaos Engine, or 20 mins of Base Jumpers, Fire & Ice or Zool...

...I am so turning the Amiga on when I get home! :p

LoveAGramm
06-12-2009, 11:15 AM
Ocarina is fun times!

Sixthbrick
06-12-2009, 11:20 AM
i just miss cloud and the whole gang!! but i know i will have to do a whole play through i wont be able to put it down untill i bitch slap sephiroth,
and i wanna see the S.T.A.R.S team again in res,
but i know my xbox will suffer from my unfaithfull playing!!

forgive me!

[Waggly Bean]
06-12-2009, 11:22 AM
You'll just have to hope to hell then that one day you'll get remakes with achievements thrown in! :p

Deadly Moves
06-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Old Resi games are so annoying to play nowadays.
- Diabolical aiming system, annoying save system and never enough ammo.

[Waggly Bean]
06-12-2009, 11:23 AM
- Diabolical aiming system, annoying save system and never enough ammo.

:eek: Take that back! :p

LoveAGramm
06-12-2009, 11:25 AM
- Diabolical aiming system, annoying save system and never enough ammo. RE5 has the same issues you mentioned here.

Sixthbrick
06-12-2009, 11:28 AM
;2038782']You'll just have to hope to hell then that one day you'll get remakes with achievements thrown in! :p

that would be amazing!,

chicken run- 50g
you came first in a chocobo race

ooooh can you imagine!!

[Waggly Bean]
06-12-2009, 11:31 AM
that would be amazing!,

chicken run- 50g
you came first in a chocobo race

ooooh can you imagine!!

How about:
0g - Took Barrett on a date at the Golden Saucer

:p

Sixthbrick
06-12-2009, 11:36 AM
;2038804']How about:
0g - Took Barrett on a date at the Golden Saucer

:p

haha,

awww ya see all these memories!, i completly forgot about the golden saucer!
the snowboarding game was my fav

Deadly Moves
06-12-2009, 11:41 AM
RE5 has the same issues you mentioned here.
I didnt have any of those issues with Resi 5.
- The aim system is awesome
- The save system is fine.
- And i never totally ran out ammo. Unlike in early resi versions

cincychaos
06-12-2009, 11:47 AM
Now I'm wanting to go back and play FFVII all the way through too.

I don't think there's anything wrong with going back and playing the old school games, regardless of how long they are. Sometimes it helps to go back to your roots.

Shaftiel
06-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Now I'm wanting to go back and play FFVII all the way through too.

I don't think there's anything wrong with going back and playing the old school games, regardless of how long they are. Sometimes it helps to go back to your roots. In theory I agree with you... but its awfully tough for me to replay the old games. Especially since there are so many new games available.

[Waggly Bean]
06-12-2009, 12:46 PM
In theory I agree with you... but its awfully tough for me to replay the old games. Especially since there are so many new games available.

Yeah I think this was the point I was trying to make, hence why I play quick blasts of older stuff. I have trouble keeping up with just 360 games, so I definitely don't have the time to drop another 70 - 100 hours on replaying FFVII...

Maybe if I quit my job and lived off dole money..... ;)

Jethrow
06-12-2009, 12:50 PM
ya some games give me memories of what i was doing in those days.

Goldeneye
Syphon Filter
Driver
Battlefield 1942
Resident evil, + Resident Evil 2

BigFellaJake
06-12-2009, 10:26 PM
I didnt have any of those issues with Resi 5.
- The aim system is awesome
- The save system is fine.
- And i never totally ran out ammo. Unlike in early resi versions

Where is the horror in having them working out fine?
With only a limited amount of saves you had to be careful and plan ahead for when you want to save. And running out of ammo was what made the game a survival horror game.
The dodgy aiming from the old games also made the boss fights seem more intense aswell.

Back to the topic. I would go down memory lane if I were you, I recently started playing Final Fantasy 6 and It's still as awesome now as it was all those years ago.

Kairi
06-13-2009, 12:03 AM
I would play some of the older games, but I would also play some 360 games in between and play a little bit of both.

CyanideBreathMint
06-13-2009, 12:28 AM
I'd LOVE Kid Icarus to be on XBLA (it's on the virtual arcade for the Wii) but alas, it'll never be. :( At least Wolfenstein 3D was just released. :)

Sixthbrick
06-13-2009, 12:34 PM
mabey i should just download some of the new arcade games there selling on live, i played the duke nukem 3d trial and fell in love with it, and atleast i will get a few points from them too hehe,

cincychaos
06-13-2009, 02:02 PM
In theory I agree with you... but its awfully tough for me to replay the old games. Especially since there are so many new games available.

Yeah, I see what you're saying. There have been a lot of advances, not only in graphics, but in game play which can make some of the older games harder to play...especially after playing quality sequels.

TheViegas
06-13-2009, 05:08 PM
I have actually been able to play Legend of Dragoon, Grandia and Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring on my PSP, thanks to my PS3. Seeing it on a PSP is pretty sick, with that oh so gradual smoothing. A good way to play what I consider classics.