PDA

View Full Version : Any 1 send their HDD in with repair -- by mistake??

gamerguy69
06-12-2009, 11:02 AM
I have an Xbox LIVE friend who just recently got his first RRoD. It was NOT the 3 quad red ring but just a single. He ended up paying for the repair. I believe he told me it was E73 error. His unit is the 2007 Halo3 edition.

He is expected to have his console back today. The repair just took a week. He lives just miles away from the MS repair center -- if that had anything to do with it, I don't know.

Anyway, he accidentally left his HDD attached to the system but he was telling me that he was in the process of sending that in as well. Apparently he was told it was a hard drive failure issue and they were going to repair it -- however possible that is.

He had just a 20GB HDD and he doesn't seemed bothered by the fact that he could lose all his game saves or if he's even aware of that. I know he'd just be able to re-download everything he's purchased, correct?? I told him that when he thought he would have to buy all his DLC over again. He was planning on getting a 120GB anyway, he told me.

He usually has an active internet connection so the DRM issues probably won't be noticed too much.

I'm anxious to see how this turns out and how big of a headache he is in for IF he doesn't get the HDD back but like I said, it doesn't seem to bother him right now.

LoveAGramm
06-12-2009, 11:09 AM
We'll seee. Keep us posted. I'm interested now, however pathetic that is.

Domantos
06-12-2009, 11:12 AM
He won't have to buy anything that he has previously bought, as it is connected to his live account. You can see what you have previously bought as well, so he can look at that on the xbox site if he want's to be sure.

/Domantos

Ligerblaze
06-12-2009, 12:30 PM
I just sent mine in for E74 and they didnt ask for the HDD :confused:

scarface
06-12-2009, 12:38 PM
I just sent mine in for E74 and they didnt ask for the HDD :confused:

They don't ask for the HDD to be sent in. Gamerguy69s friend sent the HDD in by mistake.

Jethrow
06-12-2009, 01:02 PM
Well i can tell you what i know, for instance, i just sent in my rrod machine on the 31st of may. My machine went straight to North York, Ontario (toronto), as soon as toronto confirmed they recieved my machine, my new machine was flown to me with a label from Killeen, Texas. I recieved my machine in 4 days, but this we all know is a very rare instance. Long story short, the place your machine is sent may not infact be the place that will send your replcement back from. He may have just thrown away his hdd unless he calls them relentlessly. **this is probably way different in cases where warranty has ended and your paying cash for repair**

@@**@@ On a side note, can you guys answer me a quick question please. On the machine that i recieved back in large letters its says XENON PRO EXC. So i'm wondering if xenon is the processor and if this is a good thing or bad. All i can say is this machine is soooo quite and runs awsome, best one out of the six i've had. **@@**

Ligerblaze
06-12-2009, 03:53 PM
They don't ask for the HDD to be sent in. Gamerguy69s friend sent the HDD in by mistake.

he was telling me that he was in the process of sending that in as well. Apparently he was told it was a hard drive failure issue and they were going to repair it -- however possible that is.

I was saying that i had the same error but they never mentioned sending the HDD in :)

CyanideBreathMint
06-12-2009, 03:56 PM
@@**@@ On a side note, can you guys answer me a quick question please. On the machine that i recieved back in large letters its says XENON PRO EXC. So i'm wondering if xenon is the processor and if this is a good thing or bad. All i can say is this machine is soooo quite and runs awsome, best one out of the six i've had. **@@**
Google says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_(processor)

Looks like that's the 90nm processor (ie. the RRoD one). They've probably refurb'ed it and put the larger heat sink on it. Have fun with that.

stevanov
06-12-2009, 04:52 PM
i know some1 who sent it away with his hdd and when i came back all his saves were gone

Jethrow
06-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Google says:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenon_(processor)

Looks like that's the 90nm processor (ie. the RRoD one). They've probably refurb'ed it and put the larger heat sink on it. Have fun with that.

well your link didn't work exactly but i think this is what you were trying to send. It doesn't say anything bad about it though. Also, is it the GPU or the CPU that causes the problems with the rrod, isn't it both x-clamps? Also, how do you know what machine has this things fixed? Are the elites fixed for this problem? thanks cyanidebreathmint

Tomscfc
06-12-2009, 07:21 PM
My friend sent his HDD in and everything accept the core programs were gone...i loled so much because he didn't have the password to recover his GT :D

CyanideBreathMint
06-12-2009, 07:22 PM
You're right, it didn't. Sorry 'bout dat. This is what it originally listed on Wiki:

Xenon (processor)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Xenon is a CPU that is used in the Xbox 360 game console. The processor, internally codenamed "Waternoose" by IBM[1] and "XCPU" by Microsoft, is based on IBM's PowerPC instruction set architecture, consisting of three independent processor cores on a single die. These cores are slightly modified versions of the PPE in the Cell processor which was designed specifically for the PlayStation 3.[2][3] Each core has two symmetric hardware threads (SMT), for a total of six hardware threads available to games. Each individual core also includes 32 KiB of L1 instruction cache and 32 KiB of L1 data cache.
The processors are labelled "XCPU" on the packaging and are manufactured by Chartered. Chartered reduced the fabrication process in 2007 to 65 nm, thus reducing manufacturing costs for Microsoft.
The name "Xenon" was repurposed from the code name for the Xbox 360 in early development.
[edit]Specifications

90 nm process[4], 65 nm process upgrade in 2007[5] (codenamed "Falcon"), possible 32 nm process dated around second half of 2009[6]
165 million transistors
Three symmetrical cores, each two way SMT-capable and clocked at 3.2 GHz[4]
SIMD: VMX128 with 2 (128128 bit) register files for each core.[4]
1 MiB L2 cache[4] (lockable by the GPU) running at half-speed (1.6 GHz) with a 256-bit bus
51.2 gigabytes per second of L2 memory bandwidth (256 bit 1600 MHz)
21.6 GB/s Front-Side Bus[4]
Dot product performance: 9.6 billion per second
115.2 GFLOPS theoretical peak performance
Restricted to In-order code execution[4]
eFuse 768bits[7].
ROM (and 64Kbytes SRAM) storing Microsoft's Secure Bootloader, and encryption hypervisor[7].
Big endian architecture.
The 90nm processors were the first chipsets used by MS and are the ones that are notorious for the RRoD. The newer chips used in the newer consoles released earlier this year have the 65nm (thus much cooler running and less likely to overheat and fail).

What's interesting is the suggestion in that quote that MS might even come out with a 32nm chipset. :o

Jethrow
06-12-2009, 08:45 PM
You're right, it didn't. Sorry 'bout dat. This is what it originally listed on Wiki:

The 90nm processors were the first chipsets used by MS and are the ones that are notorious for the RRoD. The newer chips used in the newer consoles released earlier this year have the 65nm (thus much cooler running and less likely to overheat and fail).

What's interesting is the suggestion in that quote that MS might even come out with a 32nm chipset. :o

hmm, see the rrod confuses me a bit. At first i though that it was caused by overheating, then i thought it was caused by the x-clamps warping the motherboard slightly. Oh well, at least its good to know that if i ever have to buy another one it will not be another misfit. Thanks again for the info

gamerguy69
06-13-2009, 06:10 PM
UPDATE: My friend's console arrived yesterday. Hard drive came back to him as well. All the DLC and game saves still on it. 1-month XBL Gold too.

Best Buy has the 120GB on sale beginning tomorrow and he's still looking to upgrade but it's not an absolute necessity since MS didn't "lose" his original HDD.

IISYNII Raid3n
06-13-2009, 08:36 PM
That's not too surprising, a friend of mine bought a core system to have issues with it right off the bat. Sent it in and realized he left one of the Last Remnant discs in it. Was worried like crazy if they were gonna send it back, sure enough in a sleeve....and with a system that was only 2 days old...