PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Xbox Natal Is Actually Microsoft's Next Console

Apple
06-13-2009, 07:39 AM
So you know how Microsoft is saying Natal will be as big as a console launch? Well...yeah.
By Sam Kennedy (http://www.1up.com/do/my1Up?publicUserId=4561231), 06/12/2009

Earlier this week gaming blog Kotaku quoted (http://kotaku.com/5287069/natal-launch-will-be-as-big-as-360s) Microsoft's Shane Kim as saying that the launch of Natal, Microsoft's new controller-free motion control technology, would be as big as the launch of a console. Not surprising. That's because Natal is going to be a new console.

On this week's Listen Up podcast (http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3172882) we discussed Natal, and David Ellis and I talked about what we've been hearing regarding the new technology -- and how it's actually the cornerstone of Microsoft's next evolution of the Xbox. Microsoft will not only release Natal as an add-on for the Xbox 360, it will come standard with the next Xbox console.

Yes, there will be a new Xbox console next fall.

However, the new console won't just be an Xbox 360 with a camera, though -- we've heard it will be considered a new platform and carry a new name (Xbox Natal?). It's not clear what sort of upgrades we might see, but some have suggested it will be an slight upgrade of the current Xbox 360 technology. Current Xbox 360 games would be playable on it, but future games would be able to take advantage of the added muscle. Similar to what we see in the PC space, games played on the more advanced Xbox would look or perform better, but publishers will still be able to support owners of both systems. Some developers have complained that they've already maxed out the Xbox 360 (http://www.oxm.co.uk/article.php?id=11181); perhaps this will give them room to expand.

Make no mistake, we wouldn't be talking about the sort of hardware leap we've seen with Xbox (or most other) platforms in the past, and we're not talking about Microsoft ending one console cycle and starting another. We're talking about an evolution of the Xbox 360; similar hardware but upgraded, repackaged, and rebranded. It's actually not that unlike what Nintendo did with the Wii, where it essentially took the GameCube hardware, stuck in motion controls, and successfully relaunched it. The new Xbox console is said to be aimed directly at a mainstream audience -- and will launch before Nintendo is able to release its Wii HD (http://www.whattheyplay.com/blog/2008/09/30/new-wii-due-by-2011/).

What's interesting is that Nintendo and Microsoft are on a course to deliver very similar products yet are coming at them from opposite directions. Microsoft currently has the HD hardware and will in the future introduce motion controls, while Nintendo has motion controls and will in the future introduce HD hardware. Sony's PS3 will also be providing motion controls next year, though as a peripheral for its EyeToy camera.

As John Davison pointed out on the podcast, the Wii was the first console to do this, but it's likely that all future hardware will be more iterative than substantive. The distinction between new consoles will become far less marked -- similar to what we've seen in the handheld space, such as with the transitions from the Game Boy to the Game Boy Advance, the DS to the DSi, or the PSP to the PSP Go.

So when would we first hear about this new Xbox console? Our sources point to next year's Game Developer's Conference as the target for its unveiling and Fall 2010 as the target for release. http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174762

Holy shit, never saw this coming.

NathAttack
06-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Eh, not buying it (The story, not the console).

pinksheets
06-13-2009, 07:45 AM
Not sure if that's such a great idea. Sega taught us all what happens when you overkill add-ons and new systems. Plus, it would be risky creating a wall between Xbox owners. At some point, developers may make a game that only runs on the better system, which would make everyone who bought a 360 feel like they got jerked around.

Let me add, I am not sure if I believe the story. Microsoft has been making way too many solid decisions this generation to make such a clumsy decision.

Why would they tie their ultimate casual outreach to a more beefed up (probably more expensive) console? Bundle it with current 360s, drop the price, make Sony cry.

TheVoidRose
06-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Not sure if that's such a great idea. Sega taught us all what happens when you overkill add-ons and new systems. Plus, it would be risky creating a wall between Xbox owners. At some point, developers may make a game that only runs on the better system, which would make everyone who bought a 360 feel like they got jerked around.

Let me add, I am not sure if I believe the story. Microsoft has been making way too many solid decisions this generation to make such a clumsy decision.

Why would they tie their ultimate casual outreach to a more beefed up (probably more expensive) console? Bundle it with current 360s, drop the price, make Sony cry.

Agreed, but I LOVE HD games. I pretty much gave up hope on my wii because it didn't look good on my new HDTV even with the composite cables. The graphics can look as shitty as they want, I just want to be able to see clearly what I am playing.

I would by this new 360 if it be true, hell I bought the new DSi because it looked pretty and looked awesome. Its like x4 better then the old ds systems and I see nothing wrong with that. I would even get wii HD and go enjoy me some Mario Kart or Pokemon for once :D

Glowin Smurff
06-13-2009, 07:56 AM
it's not a new platform. it's a new bundle.

Xbox 360 Arcade
Xbox 360 Pro
Xbox 360 Elite
Xbox 360 Natal

plus i don't really listen to much 1up reports on, cuz meh to them, they jump at almost EVERY rumor-mill.

TheVoidRose
06-13-2009, 08:00 AM
Xbox 360 Arcade
Xbox 360 Pro
Xbox 360 Elite
Xbox 360 Natal

Xbox 360 Halo Edition
Xbox 360 Simpsons Edition
Xbox 360 Gears of War Edition
Xbox 360 Resident Evil Edition..

Can be said our littl' buddy is a whore for marketing.

I agree with your Xbox 360 Natal(Edition), thats probly what it will be. I hope for it to have a better system inside, like 360 with a nas button.

katesith
06-13-2009, 08:13 AM
i hope it wont be a new console but a bundle like yall are saying. i think the xbox 360 has atleast 4 more years out of it.

What The Buck?
06-13-2009, 08:15 AM
The sad thing is i'm probably going to buy it even if it is ridiculously over-priced...

pinksheets
06-13-2009, 08:19 AM
The sad thing is i'm probably going to buy it even if it is ridiculously over-priced...
I bought a new Xbox, because it was red. RED.

What The Buck?
06-13-2009, 08:25 AM

Sig-Worthy!

:eek::eek::D:D

TheVoidRose
06-13-2009, 08:25 AM

I would get it to, as long as it is black and has a bigger hard drive. Somehow 120 gigs isn't enough space.

Also the person below me has some great advice!

What The Buck?
06-13-2009, 08:26 AM
I have great advice. But i can't think of any at the moment.

katesith
06-13-2009, 08:35 AM

I would
Sig-Worthy!

:eek::eek::D:D
im Doin the same as you

umm. if it is a new console i dont think it would sell well. I think its gonna be a attachment like the HD Movie thing and would be about $150

Apple
06-13-2009, 08:38 AM
umm. if it is a new console i dont think it would sell well. I think its gonna be a attachment like the HD Movie thing and would be about $150

If it were sold separate, it would definitely be under $100.00.

katesith
06-13-2009, 08:40 AM

i was makin an estimate for the fact that it has it where you can play with no controllers.

Either of us could be right. i see where your getting at bc its an attachment

Rowey 94
06-13-2009, 08:49 AM
yeah im not buyibg the console ' bundle ' but i will buy the natal :)

v_thorne
06-13-2009, 09:15 AM
I'm pretty sure when they announced it, they said "It will come with all xbox bundles in the future." Someone just has wishful/hopeful thinking to make them hear otherwise.

Pheonix_Assassin
06-13-2009, 10:49 AM

Xbox 360 Arcade
Xbox 360 Pro
Xbox 360 Elite
Xbox 360 Natal

plus i don't really listen to much 1up reports on, cuz meh to them, they jump at almost EVERY rumor-mill.

Im agreeing with what Smurff said!

Since they confirmed at E3 the xbox 720 or whatever you like to call it will not be released to 2015+ but thats what i heard but im still not buying the story one bit.

syntax419
06-13-2009, 06:11 PM
I could really care less at this point about Natal. Yeah the tech is kinda nifty, but if they take my controller away (make the next wave of games Natal only) then I'm gonna be pissed.

ZundayXx
06-13-2009, 06:27 PM
Uuhm, lol?? More Rumors for the Trashbin!!

[Waggly Bean]
06-13-2009, 06:35 PM
I could really care less at this point about Natal. Yeah the tech is kinda nifty, but if they take my controller away (make the next wave of games Natal only) then I'm gonna be pissed.

I agree with this.

This Natal stuff looks interesting, but I wouldn't want to end up playing everything this way, no chance! That's why I have a Wii - if I want to jump around like an idiot it's there.

I also have a slight dislike for the Natal already - the advertising movie that Microsoft have put out reeks of Nintendo, complete with the extreme cheesiness. The way the one is racing the car, then the dad gets up to do the wheel change at the pit stop - it's just all so stupid. The Natal could and probably will have some great features, but that video sure as hell didn't show them! It showed stupid 'family gaming' which lets face it probably doesn't appeal to us 'real' gamers much.

syntax419
06-13-2009, 07:29 PM
;2042738']I also have a slight dislike for the Natal already - the advertising movie that Microsoft have put out reeks of Nintendo, complete with the extreme cheesiness. The way the one is racing the car, then the dad gets up to do the wheel change at the pit stop - it's just all so stupid. The Natal could and probably will have some great features, but that video sure as hell didn't show them! It showed stupid 'family gaming' which lets face it probably doesn't appeal to us 'real' gamers much.

lmao, I forgot about the cheesy vid already, guess my brain was trying to block that out.

minigolfhool
06-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Yeah, Natal looks good but it doesn't look good enough to buy a new console just for being able to talk to virtual kids or driving Burnout Paradise with my hands instead of a controller. I'm all for innovation but as soon as Natal would become necessary to play top tier titels I'd think twice about my relationship with Microsoft.

laundryman
06-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Meh. Wasn't planning on buying it anyway. Not surprising that they would do that. It would be a good excuse to overcharge for it.

LoveAGramm
06-13-2009, 08:35 PM
It still seems interesting. I'm curious to try not to buy.

KostinKid
06-13-2009, 08:47 PM

Xbox 360 Arcade
Xbox 360 Pro
Xbox 360 Elite
Xbox 360 Natal

Yeah I agree^^ and I think they are aiming the bundle(Natal) for people who don't have a 360 now.

Jappe XBA
06-13-2009, 08:50 PM
We'll see about the reviews on it first and then decide to buy it or not.

D.A.N.
06-14-2009, 01:03 AM
I think they're just going to bundle Natal with every version of the 360 once it's out. The story sounds unreasonable and weird. You have to think of it from a business perspective, and if the story were real, it would be a terrible business decision.

xXChiddyXx
06-14-2009, 01:08 AM
that would really piss me off, I got my 360 last Christmas, they better not bring out a new console :O

Evil Demon55
06-14-2009, 03:40 AM
Dumb name=dumb product.

katesith
06-14-2009, 03:45 AM
no it will be a bundle and it is coming to the 360, not any new console

KFZ Scrubs
06-14-2009, 03:58 AM
well, looks like the article i posted about the 360 being the only Microsoft console till 2015 failed,lol.
Ohhh wellz, i'll probably buy it.... i don't know why though.

jimi_stephen
06-14-2009, 04:06 AM

The CNN of the gaming world.

ApochWeiss
06-14-2009, 04:19 AM
I'm pretty sure that what is meant by this is that Natal will be so big that it will, in itself, act as a new console, even though it isn't. Meaning that it will have it's own line of games designed specifically for use with this XBox 360 peripheral.

Take, for example, the Sega Genesis. First we had the Genesis. Then later, instead of a new console, it was a console "expansion" called the Sega CD. And then a little later a SECOND console "expansion" called the 32X was issued. These, to me, were more like peripherals, as they weren't necessary, but optional add ons to the system to allow you to play a specific line of games. When anyone hears "a new console" that means a whole new system itself that does not use any previous system released.

I doubt it'll be bundled WITH the 360 at launch, maybe a year down the line, as it is just a peripheral. We'll see a special XBox package with it though further down the line, and it'll come with a sampler game just like the Wii does.

KFZ Scrubs
06-14-2009, 04:46 AM
The CNN of the gaming world.
Damn.... i though it was IGN.
Maybe it's the fox of the gaming world.

Pure Efficiency
06-14-2009, 05:01 AM
I really hope this isn't true...I never really liked the natal idea.

Kairi
06-14-2009, 11:37 AM
I might buy natal- but not the console. I just got one.
I don't think it's their next console. It's a bit too soon for them to start a new wave...

Pixo
06-14-2009, 11:00 PM
I would definetly buy it. I would hate to see the 360 go all motion-sensing.

Bearded Bugs
06-15-2009, 05:08 PM
;2042738']The way the one is racing the car, then the dad gets up to do the wheel change at the pit stop - it's just all so stupid. The Natal could and probably will have some great features, but that video sure as hell didn't show them! It showed stupid 'family gaming' which lets face it probably doesn't appeal to us 'real' gamers much.

I thought the racing/wheel changing was the coolest bit of the video! :p

ToXiCRalN
06-15-2009, 05:39 PM
WOW. That would be pretty cool if they released it as a new console

Darth Grif55
06-15-2009, 07:21 PM
I really hope Microsoft doesn't release a new console. Bad marketing move. They should just let Natal be a add-on to hold out until it's time for the new console.

CaptainSpanner
06-15-2009, 07:32 PM
No thanks. I dont want it to be a new console. Why does it have the 360 logo at the end of the films then?

I dont thonk it is a new console.

[Waggly Bean]
06-15-2009, 08:17 PM
I thought the racing/wheel changing was the coolest bit of the video! :p

Nooooooooooooooooooooo!!

But seriously, I watched the other video where the woman demonstrates the movement detection of Natal - I think it was an avatar-like character with a football or something - and it looked like it works very well. The body on screen seemed to match the movement of the woman perfectly. I won't believe it until I try it myself of course, but it did look very good and technically far superior to anything the Wii offers right now. (So it should though - it's been 2 and a half years since the Wii's launch I think).

The video with the pit-stop change though - that just made it look like a Wii-remote rip off, detecting the more simple motions like thrust forwards, pull backwards, and tilt.

Anyway, we'll see I guess. I just don't like that Microsoft are clearly jumping on the bandwagon by advertising it in that way. I always loved my GameCube and got my Wii straight away on launch, but I also always hated the Wii advertising. Yeah, they're aiming at everyone, but it just makes the console look way more faggotty than it actually is or should be. The ads make me cringe every time, and this Natal promotional video was exactly the same...

tugboatman
06-15-2009, 10:32 PM

Does that mean the rrod just becomes rod because it blends in...:woop:

Midnight Malice
06-16-2009, 09:59 AM
I don't know, 5 years seems pretty standard for game console life. Wouldn't be surprised if we started seeing announcements for the "next" next generation consoles soon. It does seem a bit fast though if it happens in 09', all 3 systems are still VERY popular and still selling consoles, and not JUST games. It would make sense for Microsoft to be the first to bring out something new though since the 360 released a full year before the Wii and PS3.

I like my 360 and my controller. Natal is too gimicky and takes away from the gaming that I know and love. Motion capture is cool and all, but not everyone wants to get up and move around in front of thier TV, thats why there is a place called..... outside. Where normal people go to be active.

mrtrick92
06-16-2009, 03:23 PM
I dont think this will happen. They made a point in the conference of saying it will run on every xbox 360 system made to date. This implies it wont be a new console.

phobzy85
06-16-2009, 03:28 PM
I don't want to feel like a nimrod playing with myself all day.

syntax419
06-16-2009, 05:05 PM
Sources inside Microsoft are currently downplaying our rumor (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174762) that Natal would be part of an Xbox rebranding effort next year, but the devil is in the details. To Eurogamer, Aaron Greenberg said (http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/microsoft-sources-play-down-reports-of-new-xbox-in-2010), "I think part of the excitement about this announcement is that in many ways we are delivering a next generation experience this generation. With that said, I can confirm that Natal will run on Xbox 360 so no new console investment will be necessary." Another unnamed Microsoft source claimed, "Don't believe nonsense on the internet is all I'll say. We'll do the right thing for Natal."

The rebuke seems harsh, but it really doesn't contradict the idea of a relaunch. While we believe the next Xbox 360 will add some muscle and include Natal, those looking to simply upgrade their current machine could buy Natal by itself (as claimed on the Listen Up podcast (http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3172882)). Greenberg pointed out that a new console investment will be unnecessary, not unavailable. This seems backed by rumors (http://www.vg247.com/2009/06/16/rumour-new-sku-design-planned-for-360/) from VG247 today, having heard chatter of a "new SKU design" that is "along the lines of PSone or PStwo," along with word of a possible rebranding effort.

Microsoft keeps comparing Natal to the scale of a new console launch, and upon presenting it at E3 said outright that it would allow new experiences "without having to launch a new console." It seems clear that Natal is Microsoft's way of extending this console generation, but a slight upgrade and SKU rejiggering certainly wouldn't compromise that plan. For more details and to hear a longer discussion of what we think Microsoft plans to do with Natal, check out the latest Listen Up podcast (http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3172882).

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174800

NightTied
06-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Even the guy who introduced Natal also said it would work on all current systems.

Hangman Records
06-16-2009, 10:48 PM
Developers sign a contract of at least 4 years of production to ANY console. Gears of War 3 featuring Charlie Carmine, Halo Wars 2, Halo 4, Halo Black, and even another Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3 are all scheduled to release in the next 2 years.

My bet is this "Natal" is another gaming engine much like the elite xbox360. Same "360" different model. Kinda like the new accillary fans these days that no one buys.

SOW Camoflauge
06-17-2009, 01:40 AM
everytime I watch Natal on youtube I get a chubby. They said it is for the 360, not a new console. IMO it would kinda have to be a new console, they would have to remake all the games that are out, I would love to play ufc and fight night on that. but if is not a console and they just make the games for it, I would be in heaven. I never pay top dollar for ANYTHING!!! There is ALWAYS a way to get something cheaper, but for this Nasty Naughty Natal, I might sell my kids for it, lol

dakisbac
06-17-2009, 02:16 AM
I figured this was bull, now we've got the story on the front page to confirm

syntax419
06-17-2009, 05:32 PM
Yet another update to the OP.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174825

Microsoft's corporate VP of strategy and business development Shane Kim has said that the Natal launch will be similar to a new console launch, as rumors (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174762) buzz about a new Xbox 360 coming next fall. In an interview (http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/4053/microsofts_future_begins_now_.php?page=3) with Gamasutra, Kim says "It will be that big. Now, the good news is that it's not a new hardware architecture; we're not forcing customers to have to go buy a new console because it will work with every existing Xbox 360 out there. But in terms of its importance and scale of what we're talking about, yeah, absolutely, it will be like the launch of a new Xbox."

This makes Kim the second Microsoft executive in as many days to address the rumors, but like Aaron Greenberg (http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174800) his words seem carefully chosen. Greenberg pointed out that a new console investment "won't be necessary," while Kim said they aren't "forcing consumers to buy a new console." Microsoft seems to be stressing that with Natal, current Xbox 360 owners won't be left out in the cold. At the same time, neither exec flatly denied that a new Xbox with increased muscle will come alongside it.

Kim's comment that "it will work with every existing Xbox 360 out there" is also interesting, as the company made a similar comment during the presentation at E3. As Chris Kohler observed (http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2009/06/project-natal-2/) on Game|Life: "Why did Microsoft have to engage in verbal contortion to explain that an Xbox 360 accessory would work with the Xbox 360? The answer would now seem to be that Microsoft is laying the groundwork to use Natal as a pack-in for a new version of Xbox 360, but wants to emphasize that it will also work with the current model." We'll keep you updated with more Microsoft denials, or non-denials, as they come.

This rumor is getting annoying.

JesusBread
06-17-2009, 06:35 PM
Xbox 360 Halo Edition
Xbox 360 Simpsons Edition
Xbox 360 Gears of War Edition
Xbox 360 Resident Evil Edition..

Can be said our littl' buddy is a whore for marketing.

I agree with your Xbox 360 Natal(Edition), thats probly what it will be. I hope for it to have a better system inside, like 360 with a nas button.

I wouldn't consider the Simpsons one in the same boat as the rest. Wasn't it just a special release of 10 consoles that could only be won via a contest? Wasn't the Gears of War edition the same thing or was that actually a bundle available in stores?

And we also have a couple of more.

Xbox 360 GTA IV Edition (Again, contest only)
Xbox 360 Elite w/ Halo 3/Fable II
Xbox 360 Holiday Bundle w/ Kung Fu Panda/Lego Indie Jones

Midnight Malice
06-18-2009, 04:21 PM
I would love to play ufc and fight night on that.

Fight Night is possible... kind of, but how would UFC work? You gonna ground and pound a giant stuffed teddy bear then put it in a triangle in front of the camera?

Bearded Bugs
06-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Fight Night is possible... Yeah good thinking, boxing would be awesome on it.

Another thing I'd love to see possible with Natal is cricket, it could be used as good indoor practice as a batsman for example.

InkedUp
06-18-2009, 06:29 PM
I really don't see it being under $100 at all. Look at MS' wireless adapter. It has been out for about 5 years and still lists as $100, they won't even drop the price on an older accessory, so I don't see them going low for Natal. I would still probably buy it as an add-on, but I'm not shelling out more money for a new console

syntax419
06-19-2009, 09:13 PM
lol

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3174871