PDA

View Full Version : So I just got Gamefly...

Bass Slapper94
06-16-2009, 06:19 PM
...and I just want to know: how long does it take for a game to come in? It says my center is in Los Angeles and I live about...erh like 7-9hrs away...something like that.

BTW, I was REALLY happy :)

HamPlus
06-16-2009, 06:47 PM
Probably 3-5 day turnaround (at most) from the time you mail a game back to the time you get the next one. Try to ship back early in the day so you don't miss the last post office pick up.

Rolyatkcinmai
06-16-2009, 06:53 PM
The turn around for me is about 6 days (unacceptable). I've had Gamefly for about 18 months now, and it's absolutely terrible. If there were any competitors I would gladly use them instead. I'm thinking about canceling this month anyways since it's pretty much useless.

punker
06-16-2009, 07:07 PM
I live about an hour from the nearest shipping center. If I drop a game in the mail on a Monday, I'll get my next game on Thursday. Works just fine for me.

Bass Slapper94
06-16-2009, 07:09 PM
The turn around for me is about 6 days (unacceptable). I've had Gamefly for about 18 months now, and it's absolutely terrible. If there were any competitors I would gladly use them instead. I'm thinking about canceling this month anyways since it's pretty much useless.
DAMN. Well gamefly only has like, 3 or 4 buildings right? Jeez. Thats a long time.

06-16-2009, 07:11 PM
If it's anything like netflix's turnaround it's about 3 days.

DarkTharen
06-16-2009, 07:23 PM
my turn around has been 3 days, I find that is acceptable. I usualy turn a game in on Monday and I am usually playing a new one by Thursday

AmishFury
06-16-2009, 07:37 PM
you live close enough where you'll most likely have one day shipping and a 2 day turnaround

so you send them a game on monday you should get a new one on wednesday

if i could get that kind of turnaround i'd consider paying full price for a membership... but they would have to fix their availability problems too

BigMo763
06-16-2009, 07:46 PM
It depends on two things: how close you live to the shipping center and whether your post office takes part in their "Fast Scan" return system.

The Fast Scan system is basically where as soon as the post office scans your returned game, GameFly is notified that it's in the mail and on its way to be returned, so they'll ship out the next game to you before they actually receive your game.

You said you're about 7-9 hours away from the LA center, so even without Fast Scan it should only take 2 days, 3 at the very most.

I live in Austin, and my post office uses fast scan (and GF has a shipping center here). I usually get my next game the day after I drop mine in the mail.

Bass Slapper94
06-16-2009, 08:41 PM
It depends on two things: how close you live to the shipping center and whether your post office takes part in their "Fast Scan" return system.

The Fast Scan system is basically where as soon as the post office scans your returned game, GameFly is notified that it's in the mail and on its way to be returned, so they'll ship out the next game to you before they actually receive your game.

You said you're about 7-9 hours away from the LA center, so even without Fast Scan it should only take 2 days, 3 at the very most.

I live in Austin, and my post office uses fast scan (and GF has a shipping center here). I usually get my next game the day after I drop mine in the mail.

Hmm, ok. Sounds good enough. So the turn arounds for me are like 2-3 days. Alright well I started the membership around 4pm yesterday so I should get it tomorrow or Thursday. I'm assuming most likely Thursday.

but i hope tomorrow:) So far, GH:SH, [PROTOTYPE] and Ghostbusters are on my list.
Much appreciated for the answers guys, thanks!

Rolyatkcinmai
06-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Yeah that's another fun part. I never get anything unless it's at least 6 months old. I can have nothing in my Q except one game that is coming out, and I'll never get it when it releases. My friend that uses it however always gets whatever he puts in his Q. Tons of fun. I bitched at them last month because I had three high availability games in my Q, and they still waited 6 days to even bother sending anything. I got a free month, but I think I'm going to cancel at the end of it anyways. Just terrible service. And I'm not that far from Pittsburgh that it should take 6 days to get a new game (and that's the shortest its been, it's usually easily two weeks).

Pure Efficiency
06-16-2009, 11:34 PM
Damn this sucks, I was hoping to get Gamefly this summer but now this thread is kind of talking me out of it...
Would it be more worth it to do the two games at once or one game plan?

Kangaroo128
06-16-2009, 11:43 PM
IMHO, Gamefly's service is not that bad. I've had it since November and I've been pretty satisfied for the most part. I'm in NC and I think my closest shipping center is in FL. My turnaround is about 3-4 days. I also have Netflix and my turnaround with them is 2-3 days. You have to remember that Netflix is much larger and widespread than Gamefly, so you shouldn't really be comparing the two. Last I heard, Gamefly only had 4 shipping centers nationwide but they are now expanding.

vI-Youneek-Iv
06-16-2009, 11:46 PM
I live in Key West and there is a Tampa Gamefly, so when they ship me a game it takes 2 days for me to receive and 1 day for them to receive when I ship back because of Fast Return.

Madmax410
06-16-2009, 11:48 PM
Gamefly isn't that bad for me. If I want a game really badly, I don't rely on GF for it, but for random games I just really want, it's pretty easy to rent them.

And NEVER expect to get a game it comes out

For me, its like a five to six day turnaround, so it isn't that bad.

To whoever asked: 2 game plan. Play one game to death, send it back, get to work on the other.

CcAaRrSsOoNn3
06-16-2009, 11:56 PM
I live in Northern Virginia about 3 hours away from the Pittsburgh building. I can send a game out Monday, they get it by Thursday I receive it the following week.

Best advice is to get the 2 at a time. Play one send it back. Keep the other, then when you receive the other game send the other one back.

I like it because it allows me to play the older games.

But if you are a Netflix subscriber, you will be very disappointed with the wait!!!!!!

vI-Youneek-Iv
06-17-2009, 12:09 AM
To get a game before it goes to Very Low or a very popular game best is find a game make sure you return a game like a day or two before it comes out and make sure you have the game you want before it comes out the only game in your Q, or have a lot of Coming Soon games, anyways this worked for me Getting GoW 2 right when it came out and CoD WaW right when it came out.

SOW Camoflauge
06-17-2009, 01:35 AM
...and I just want to know: how long does it take for a game to come in? It says my center is in Los Angeles and I live about...erh like 7-9hrs away...something like that.

My games come in around 2-3 days I live on the east coast

jukkakhan
06-17-2009, 01:40 AM

I'm about 5-6 hours from LA and my turn around time is about 3-4 days. I used to use them about 2 years ago and it would take about a week turn around, so they've improved a little in my area.

TwinTipZ
06-17-2009, 01:44 AM
Im going to sign up for gamefly in a week or so. Got 10 game i want to rent and that should take 3 months or the summer. $60 at two games out at a time.

Thegreatest7884
06-17-2009, 01:54 AM
I just got rid of Gamefly because my last game (high availability, mind you) took two weeks to get to me. That's bullshit. They advertise fast shipping and then take damn near forever to get the game to me. They then sent out a survey about shipping speeds. They got a good piece of my mind after that.

IISYNII Raid3n
06-17-2009, 02:02 AM
Yeah that's another fun part. I never get anything unless it's at least 6 months old. I can have nothing in my Q except one game that is coming out, and I'll never get it when it releases. My friend that uses it however always gets whatever he puts in his Q. Tons of fun. I bitched at them last month because I had three high availability games in my Q, and they still waited 6 days to even bother sending anything. I got a free month, but I think I'm going to cancel at the end of it anyways. Just terrible service. And I'm not that far from Pittsburgh that it should take 6 days to get a new game (and that's the shortest its been, it's usually easily two weeks).

It is true it is pretty hard to get newer games. I had games like Soul Calibur and Ninja Gaiden 2 way down on the list, at least half way down the q and other games with high availability before them, and those got sent out.

Seems to me though that some people are going to have issues with shipping, with a center being in the east coast it seems odd for it to be a week before anything comes in, considering its the same distance from here to Texas and I get games in 3 days.

ILoveFawkzes
06-17-2009, 02:27 AM
I Live in Alabama, Shipping takes one day to and from whatever the closest center to me is.

KillTheft_Echo
06-17-2009, 03:39 AM
Yea, i actually cancelled mine. Im In Tennessee, and the closest one for me was in Tampa. Took it 3 days to get there, 1-2 for processing, then 3 days back. A week is just wayy to long.

Gackt
06-17-2009, 03:54 AM
Getting new games is easy most of the time..you just need a slot open for when that game becomes available.

Also keep in mind just because something is on your list it may or may not be sent to you. They have the %'s listed on the site for all the types of availability.

As for the slow turnaround times, Gamefly only has 4 warehouses in the entire country, I can understand why it takes a while sometimes... especially since you could end up getting a game shipped from a warehouse across the country if the closest one to you does not have the game your looking to rent. They will continue to add more shipping centers in the future and the service will get faster.

I could not be happier with gamefly, I pay 38 and change a month for a 4 game plan, as does my brother.. but if I didnt I would be at least paying 40-60 for new games all the time so in the long run its saving me money. I always keep a game while I sent others back so I have something to play while waiting for others. I think you will be happy with gamefly especially since you are so close to one of its shipping centers your time between getting and sending games should be fairly fast.

Bass Slapper94
06-17-2009, 07:58 AM
IMHO, Gamefly's service is not that bad. I've had it since November and I've been pretty satisfied for the most part. I'm in NC and I think my closest shipping center is in FL. My turnaround is about 3-4 days. I also have Netflix and my turnaround with them is 2-3 days. You have to remember that Netflix is much larger and widespread than Gamefly, so you shouldn't really be comparing the two. Last I heard, Gamefly only had 4 shipping centers nationwide but they are now expanding.
Well at least they are making progress with the centers!

Should I dare put Avatar on my Q? LOL

Gackt
06-17-2009, 08:14 AM
Well at least they are making progress with the centers!

Should I dare put Avatar on my Q? LOL

Avatar was great, nothing beats 2 minutes of playing for 1000 gamerscore.

TheLastAntidote
06-17-2009, 01:07 PM
My turn around time tends to be 3-4 days... However I've had a few fluke times where it took a week, but those were few and far between.

RollaJedi
06-17-2009, 06:22 PM
I've had gamefly for almost 2 years now. I really enjoy it and think its a great deal. I mean, if you think about it, you would pay roughly $60 for 1 game new. I do the one game out plan, so i THINK its like 15 each month. It would take 4 months of gamefly to equal paying for one game. In those 4 months, you could lots of games, play them and beat them, for the price of 1 that you may or may not even like.

I realize the turnaround sometimes is crappy. I live in a small town in Missouri and my center is in Pittsburg. It takes almost a week to give and get. What i do, is i usually have several cheap games on hand that i've bought used at gamespot or blockbuster that i play in the meantime.

Gamefly is great for people that dont have to have a brand new game right away. I dont like getting brand new ones because if i beat it and send it in, they usually have more DLC coming out that i will miss out on. If i wait, usually all of the DLC has already been done.
Its also a great place for people who are really involved in gamerpoints and achievements as its great for older games nobody cares about anymore, except for the 1000 or so points you can milk from them. :)

RollaJedi
06-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Oh, not to mention that if you've been there so long you get 10% off and $5 off (every 3 months) all 'keep it' or 'buy it' games. And those are almost always dirt cheap anyways.
Plus, if you can get somebody to sign up and stay on, they give you 20 bucks. I tell the other person I'll split it and give them $10 if they do this. I'd do it for any of you all as well if anyone is interested.

Bass Slapper94
06-17-2009, 11:50 PM
Oh, not to mention that if you've been there so long you get 10% off and $5 off (every 3 months) all 'keep it' or 'buy it' games. And those are almost always dirt cheap anyways.
Plus, if you can get somebody to sign up and stay on, they give you 20 bucks. I tell the other person I'll split it and give them $10 if they do this. I'd do it for any of you all as well if anyone is interested.
Hmm, so what do we do? and whats 'keep'?

BigMo763
06-18-2009, 12:55 AM
Hmm, so what do we do? and whats 'keep'?

If you have a game out from GameFly and don't want to return it to them, you can essentially buy it from them for a discount and they'll ship you the case and manual. You aren't able to keep some games though (like the newer ones).

Bass Slapper94
06-18-2009, 02:10 AM
Ohhhhh sweet.

kevz9
06-18-2009, 02:24 AM
heh, just replied to another gamefly thread a few days ago and here is a nice little update..

gamefly reports 2 of my games back on the 13th. today they shipped me 1 game from my big Q. it took them until today to ship me TMNT.

and it's not shipping from the close shipping center, but shipping from across the country from CA. So from time they reported getting 2 games back i will have TMNT in *maybe* 9 days since I won't get that from CA until monday.

and still no idea about the 2nd game because they have shipped anything else yet. just waiting to cancel this crap once current billing period if over. very jealous of the people who somehow get good luck from this place.

original post:
i've had gamefly for a couple months now and gotta say i am really disappointed. i haven't even been upset not being able to get new games, but it takes me well over a week to get any game. thats a week AFTER they confirm they have my games back.

I also have a shipping center within 1-2 days away, but still its a week+ out on games. It took me about a month and a half to get a copy of call of duty 4. i've emailed twice about it and they just give me some standard lame reply and ignore everything i say.

The rest of my Q is filled with a few new games(never going to get them) and the rest older. Still a crazy wait between anything.

I'm canceling it when my current period is up in about a week. Was thinking of giving gottaplay a shot, figure it can't be any worse than gamefly for me.