PDA

View Full Version : 3 RROD/E-74/Sending 360 to MS/ HELP!

Parkerktm
06-17-2009, 03:49 AM
Over the past few months I've had the 3 Red Rings of Death and have been living with it because I didn't want to go through the hassle of sending in my 360 to Microsoft. Sadly enough, the problem has become worse with the E-74 popping up last night so I'm here looking for answers and input from people who have gone through a similar process with there 360.

-------------

Back when I got my first RROD (3 lights flashing), my 360 ran fine for several days after taking the HDD off and starting the 360 up without the HDD plugged in. Then once it was booted up, I'd plug in the HDD and it would turn on/off and run perfectly fine until a month ago when that stopped being the case. The HDD trick didn't work anymore so I decided to use the infamous towel trick which I'm sure many of you are familar with. I decided to go along with it since it did not void my warranty (which I think I still have) and it was a lenghty process (every five-six days I would have too take 1-2 hours to wrap it up in a few towels and re-set the circuit board). Sadly, last night when playing a game of Halo 3 the whole screen went crazy, everything was out of control and the in-game screen was a fizzy white color. I could see the score and the health meter, but nothing other then that. At first I thought it was my tv and then once I figured out the other inputs we're working ok I thought it was the component cables. It was late at night so i decided to deal with it the next day and just turned off my 360. Sadly enough, when I turned on my 360 today the E-74 error popped up along with 1 RROD (compared to 3 RROD before) in the lower right quadrent.

Soooooo........................

Is there anyway to fix the E-74 error without voiding my warranty (similar to the 3 RROD and the towel trick method)?

I assume I need to call MS up and go through the process (waiting for xbox.com to be back online) for them to send me a box. Can I send them my 360 in my own box, to save time?

With E-74 errors and the 3 flashing RROD, do they fix the console, send you a refurbished, or a new console?

I know I send them the 360 without a game and HDD, but how about the faceplate. Do I take that off and keep it or send it along with the 360?

I've heard the average wait time is 3-4 weeks, is this accurate? What is the fatest time someone has recieved there 360 back from repairs?

I remember hearing a while back that MS extended the warranties on the 360's because of the excessive problem of the RROD. My console was manufactured on June 30th, 2006 and purchased January 28th, 2007. Is my warranty still good?

dillon
06-17-2009, 03:54 AM
There is no way to fix the E-74, unless you get lucky like some people, after they got it they turned the xbox on and off and it worked for a few days.

Take the faceplate and every thing else that you put on off.

When I sent my E-74 in they sent me a new xbox.

It took 3 weeks for them to send it to me

If you have E-74 now, then your warrenty is over, they only extended 3RROD to three years, everything else is a one year warrenty

It was terrible i got it while playing CW: Secret Missions, i played half the game with the fuzziness but i thought it was the game, since it sucked anyway. But yeah, thats why i have a back-up 360 now.

Gackt
06-17-2009, 04:17 AM
If you have E-74 now, then your warrenty is over, they only extended 3RROD to three years, everything else is a one year warrenty

Yay for giving wrong information.

E74 is a free to fix whether your warranty is expired or not. Call MS support and ask about it. They for whatever reason can not charge you for fixing that problem. I have had 2 box's have this error... one recently which was a free fix and one from 6 months ago which MS refunded my money for.

Also took no longer then 2 weeks to get my console there and back.
Also you can use your own box, they even prefer that now... they will give you a packing slip to print out for the box.

So again, your e74 is a free fix even if your warranty is expired. I am 100% sure of that.

dillon
06-17-2009, 04:28 AM
Yay for giving wrong information.

E74 is a free to fix whether your warranty is expired or not. Call MS support and ask about it. They for whatever reason can not charge you for fixing that problem. I have had 2 box's have this error... one recently which was a free fix and one from 6 months ago which MS refunded my money for.

Also took no longer then 2 weeks to get my console there and back.
Also you can use your own box, they even prefer that now... they will give you a packing slip to print out for the box.

So again, your e74 is a free fix even if your warranty is expired. I am 100% sure of that.

YAY for the non-english speakers at 1-800-my-xbox giving me the wrong information, and you probably have a microsoft center closer to you, but it would probably take Parker's shorter than mine since he lives really close to one.

jukkakhan
06-17-2009, 04:29 AM
I assume I need to call MS up and go through the process (waiting for xbox.com to be back online) for them to send me a box. Can I send them my 360 in my own box, to save time?
Yes, you can print a label or have a label sent out to you. Word has been spreading that they may be phasing out sending boxes, but if you wanted one, you should be able to talk someone into it.

With E-74 errors and the 3 flashing RROD, do they fix the console, send you a refurbished, or a new console?
It could be either one. Mine was repaired for both RROD and E74, but others have gotten refurbs.

I know I send them the 360 without a game and HDD, but how about the faceplate. Do I take that off and keep it or send it along with the 360?
If it's a custom faceplate, take it off. If it's the original, leave it on.

I've heard the average wait time is 3-4 weeks, is this accurate? What is the fatest time someone has recieved there 360 back from repairs?
My first 2 times it was about 3-4 weeks. Now that I'm above three repairs, I'm on expedited service and received my console back in a week flat, twice.

I remember hearing a while back that MS extended the warranties on the 360's because of the excessive problem of the RROD. My console was manufactured on June 30th, 2006 and purchased January 28th, 2007. Is my warranty still good?
RROD and E74 have a 3 year warranty, everything else is 1 year. You should be fine. Once xbox.com comes back up, you can see your warranty status in the support section.

Gackt
06-17-2009, 04:33 AM
YAY for the non-english speakers at 1-800-my-xbox giving me the wrong information, and you probably have a microsoft center closer to you, but it would probably take Parker's shorter than mine since he lives really close to one.

Your right, it only took a day to fix mine...the rest of the time was spent getting the console there and back. ( No I dont have one close to me :( )

If you live in the US, I believe they all go to Texas to be fixed.

Dukefan45
06-17-2009, 04:37 AM

If you have a box, go ahead and use the support on xbox.com. There's an online register form that you fill out, and it only takes a few minutes compared to up to a half hour on the phone. After filling out the form, they ask what your error is, then state the cost of repair. Then they provide you with a shipping label that you print.

They say they send a refurbished one. Sometimes they send you a new one and other times they send you a broken one. It's all a game of luck.

You take it off if it's one you bought. If not, it's up to you.

I've heard the average wait time is 3-4 weeks, is this accurate? What is the fastest time someone has recieved there 360 back from repairs?

3-4 is the average. I've known people who have gotten their's back in 2 weeks, though.

The repair should be free.

I just shipped out my broken, primary console today, so most of my answers should be correct. (The answers are in the quote in italics).

dillon
06-17-2009, 04:37 AM
Your right, it only took a day to fix mine...the rest of the time was spent getting the console there and back. ( No I dont have one close to me :( )

If you live in the US, I believe they all go to Texas to be fixed.

Ok well i thought they went up to oregon, but thats ridiculous that i live in Missouri and it took three weeks. On xbox.com it took like 10 days for it to go from Xbox recieved to done fixing repairs or something like that.

InsaneKiller911
06-17-2009, 05:23 AM
Is there anyway to fix the E-74 error without voiding my warranty (similar to the 3 RROD and the towel trick method)? No its best to send it into microsoft.

I assume I need to call MS up and go through the process (waiting for xbox.com to be back online) for them to send me a box. Can I send them my 360 in my own box, to save time? you can go online and fill out a repair form and select the e-label method. if you do, microsoft will send you an email confirming the method and instructions included. you might also get another email from ups with the shipping label (not sure if its the same in the states)(also make sure that your email won't block emails from either microsoft and the shipping company they use)

With E-74 errors and the 3 flashing RROD, do they fix the console, send you a refurbished, or a new console? They usually send you back a refurbished unit. Rarely will you get a new console.

I know I send them the 360 without a game and HDD, but how about the faceplate. Do I take that off and keep it or send it along with the 360? Unless you have a custom faceplate, i would leave it on.

I've heard the average wait time is 3-4 weeks, is this accurate? What is the fatest time someone has recieved there 360 back from repairs? Depends how far away you are from the repair center. I live an hour away from one and it took 5 days for my first xbox to get replaced, and 5 days again to get my 2nd xbox replaced(including the weekend)

3 years for e74 and rrod the rest is 1 year

Parkerktm
06-18-2009, 12:40 AM
Thanks for all the help guys!!

I went ahead and packaged it up today but is Xbox Support down for anyone else. It's never finishing loading for me.

Dukefan45
06-18-2009, 05:43 AM
Thanks for all the help guys!!

I went ahead and packaged it up today but is Xbox Support down for anyone else. It's never finishing loading for me.

When I did mine on Monday, it was moving extremely slow, but it did eventually load. When I went to check the shipping status today, it was still loading slowly, but once again, it eventually loaded after about 3 minutes. Just give it some time because it beats trying to talk to customer support.

Parkerktm
06-18-2009, 05:48 AM
When I did mine on Monday, it was moving extremely slow, but it did eventually load. When I went to check the shipping status today, it was still loading slowly, but once again, it eventually loaded after about 3 minutes. Just give it some time because it beats trying to talk to customer support.

Yea it for sure beats talking to customer support over the phone, but for me it takes 30 minutes and it won't load past the first page, and I have a awesome and extremely fast internet connection.

I'm lovin how it happens at the perfect time, haha.

Ligerblaze
06-18-2009, 12:26 PM
Quick question.... when you call MS, couldnt you tell them you got E74 so that they automatically have to replace it? Im saying even if you get a diferent error like the disk drive... do they even check it? Is there a way to tell what you called in for when they receive the box?

Hmm...

J Lew332
06-18-2009, 01:16 PM
There is no way to fix the E-74, unless you get lucky like some people, after they got it they turned the xbox on and off and it worked for a few days.

Take the faceplate and every thing else that you put on off.

When I sent my E-74 in they sent me a new xbox.

It took 3 weeks for them to send it to me

It was terrible i got it while playing CW: Secret Missions, i played half the game with the fuzziness but i thought it was the game, since it sucked anyway. But yeah, thats why i have a back-up 360 now.

The back up 360 is a great idea. My friend didn't really play it and he was like yea im about to sell this thing for like 100 bucks I dont play it. I ended up buying it that day from him and both times by 360 redringed I just used that.

To the TS, Its going to cost you 100 bucks. I told microsoft that I wanted to send them my own box to save time and it took 13 days.

dillon
06-18-2009, 04:56 PM
Quick question.... when you call MS, couldnt you tell them you got E74 so that they automatically have to replace it? Im saying even if you get a diferent error like the disk drive... do they even check it? Is there a way to tell what you called in for when they receive the box?

Hmm...

Well unless microsoft is completley retarded they would just plug the XBOX in and see what error it is.

Parkerktm
06-18-2009, 05:51 PM
Once again it is taking 2+ hours just for the first two pages to load, and then when I click on the option to repair console my browser says connection failed or some bullshit like that.

So can someone please give me the phone number for contact support, because it looks like my only option is to call the idiots at customer support.

InsaneKiller911
06-18-2009, 06:40 PM
1-800-4my-xbox

ILoveFawkzes
06-18-2009, 07:43 PM
if they just sent you a refurbed xbox as a replacement wouldn't you loose all your arcade games :\?

Dukefan45
06-18-2009, 11:07 PM
if they just sent you a refurbed xbox as a replacement wouldn't you loose all your arcade games :?

You keep your harddrive, so as long as you're connected to Xbox Live, you can play them. If you want to play them offline, then you have to re-download them through your account's download history.

Ligerblaze
06-18-2009, 11:14 PM
Well unless microsoft is completley retarded they would just plug the XBOX in and see what error it is.

I thought they WERE completely retarded though?

Parkerktm
06-28-2009, 10:48 PM
I know this was pushed back a few pages, but just wanted to say Thanks to those of you who helped. I finally got xbox.com repair site to work and load properly and amazingly I sent my console in for repair on Saturday the 20th, then yesterday I got an email saying my console had been fixed and shipped back. So that's only 13-14 days for a repair, pretty impressive IMO.

hitman08
06-29-2009, 10:23 AM
for a couple of months i had ongoing problems with the dsk tray sometimes not opening, then power brick problem followed by constant freezing after that, yep you guessed rrod of death which first popped up last thursday, continued to test it and got e74, e68 and e61, read some stories about ms support thought bollocks to that not waiting for a month to receive a shitty refurb that proburly wouldnt work and ordered a brand new arcade with the new chip and hd port on friday evening off of amazon which arrived saturday morning, have noticed that the whole thing runs much more queitly!, so my advice is go and get a brand new arcade!