PDA

View Full Version : Xbox Originals Achievements

UCB Disco
06-17-2009, 04:03 AM
I tried searching for a past thread on this topic, but the search is not working. Here's my rant:

I know, for a business, Microsoft wants sales in their Xbox Originals department, but they just aren't doing nearly as well as anything else or as Microsoft would like. I bought Halo on the Originals back in December when it was discounted for Deal of the Week, because I never got around to playing it before (Since I did not own an original Xbox). Six months later, I have only played the first 3 missions. Seven more missions to go.

Now, it got me thinking, "Halo is such a great game. Why am I not playing it?" And the thought hit, "Because it doesn't have achievements." There are quite a few other games on the Xbox Originals that I want to play (i.e. Psychonauts), but thanks to this generation and the introduction of Achievements, I just don't care to spend 1200MSP on a game that's not going to give me some kind of incentive to complete it. I know that's a stupid excuse, but c'mon, I know I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

Now, this is my inquiry; Microsoft has to be aware of how popular achievements are in their gaming world today. It's definitely a reason why many of us played games such as Lost: Via Domus, Avatar, and TMNT, to name a few. So to advertise and surely increase the sales of their Xbox Originals lineup on the LIVE Arcade, would it not only be wise to add achievements to these games but also profitable? Maybe an inbetween number like 500http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/site/gp-g.jpg, so that it would definitely be less than a modern retail game but also merit a higher gain of points compared to the LIVE Arcade lineup (Not to discredit LIVE Arcade games, but to respect that the Originals were once retail themselves). And as made aware by the PS3, it wouldn't be too hard to add achievements to a game that came out long ago. All it takes is a simple patch, Microsoft. :)

Final Quesion; If Xbox Originals had achievements, would you be more prompted to purchase one (Or more of them)? Discuss.

Gackt
06-17-2009, 04:06 AM
I would definitely be more interested in them if they had achievements, but from what I have heard we wont need to worry about that much longer as they are doing away with the Originals.

NinjaGrinder
06-17-2009, 04:07 AM
Actually yeah, since xbox live is down today i decided to play a little Max Payne 1 & 2 to kill some time. When i saved the game and exited to the dashboard i looked at my achievements and it said 0 of 0 achievements for 0 gs, i actually thought about originals having achievements i could see myself completing them for the hell of it. Its a great idea really but developers would have to re-work the game, come up with ideas for achievements and patch it. Sadly i dont think they would do that when they are working on newer games for the 360. I am PRETTY sure Microsoft would support the decision but in the end its all on the developers.

J.B
06-17-2009, 04:11 AM
I always thought the xbox original games were overpriced. You could go to your local gamestop and purchase it for cheaper. Now if microsoft decided to add achievements to them, I would rather buy xbox original rather than the one at gamestop because of achievements.

UCB Disco
06-17-2009, 04:17 AM
I would definitely be more interested in them if they had achievements, but from what I have heard we wont need to worry about that much longer as they are doing away with the Originals.

Is that for sure? I heard they had a whole slew of games they were going to release in the next year, but I could be wrong. And with Max Payne 1 and 2 both coming out just recently, I figured that there was still some interest in Originals. Do you have some kind of source for the cancellation of the Originals program?

jukkakhan
06-17-2009, 04:19 AM
It's been discussed several times before, and while it would be cool, for the most part, it's not worth it.

Now, this is my inquiry; Microsoft has to be aware of how popular achievements are in their gaming world today.

I'm gonna have to disagree here and call achievement hunters a minority. We have 210,126, and 34,542 of them active. In January, Microsoft boasted 17 million active Xbox Live members (clicky (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6202733.html)). I'm sure there's tons of more people who play for achievements and tons less people who use XBL (especially since they didn't define "active"), but that should give you a good idea.

And as made aware by the PS3, it wouldn't be too hard to add achievements to a game that came out long ago. All it takes is a simple patch, Microsoft. :)

We have no idea how easy or hard it is to implement the achievements. You mention the PS3, but you have to remember those games are PS3 games running on the PS3's technology. Xbox Originals are Xbox games being played on the 360 through software emulation, so it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Also, Microsoft doesn't make the achievement lists, developers do. I would expect that it they would approach the original developers to create lists.

I would love another excuse to play through Psychonauts, but I don't see achievements happening. Especially when it seems the Xbox Originals program is coming to an end.

Gackt
06-17-2009, 04:24 AM
Is that for sure? I heard they had a whole slew of games they were going to release in the next year, but I could be wrong. And with Max Payne 1 and 2 both coming out just recently, I figured that there was still some interest in Originals. Do you have some kind of source for the cancellation of the Originals program?

No, I am not sure as I had only read it from other people and not a real reliable source.

Revolver
06-17-2009, 04:26 AM
Every now and then I wonder how we were all able to live without an incentive to play video games like nowadays; achievements.
I sometimes have the urge to go back and play MGS The Twin Snakes on the Gamecube but since there's no such thing as an achievement I can't bring myself to doing so. I know that's not a 360 title but I'm merely using it as an example.

UCB Disco
06-17-2009, 04:27 AM
We have no idea how easy or hard it is to implement the achievements. You mention the PS3, but you have to remember those games are PS3 games running on the PS3's technology. Xbox Originals are Xbox games being played on the 360 through software emulation, so it's a bit like comparing apples and oranges. Also, Microsoft doesn't make the achievement lists, developers do. I would expect that it they would approach the original developers to create lists.

I would love another excuse to play through Psychonauts, but I don't see achievements happening. Especially when it seems the Xbox Originals program is coming to an end.

I received my Bachelors in Programming, and if these guys are already making these type of games in a matter of months, programming a patch to add achievements to old games would be simple. Simple enough for like a team of two people to take care of it. I'm sure the development teams with games on the Originals lineup would love to have better sales, so why not throw down some cheap patches to improve sales of these old games?

J.B
06-17-2009, 04:30 AM
I received my Bachelors in Programming, and if these guys are already making these type of games in a matter of months, programming a patch to add achievements to old games would be simple. Simple enough for like a team of two people to take care of it. I'm sure the development teams with games on the Originals lineup would love to have better sales, so why not throw down some cheap patches to improve sales of these old games?

If only you worked for microsoft lol. The man is a genius lol.

jukkakhan
06-17-2009, 04:43 AM

Seems to be correct. I could've sworn I read it in an interview from E3, but I can't find it. All the other articles about this lead to this IGN article:

http://uk.xboxlive.ign.com/articles/990/990070p1.html

I don't believe Xbox Originals were immensely popular to begin with. I don't see Microsoft being real motivated to get developers working on this, no matter how simple it may be. The time and effort of everything involved to appeal to what appears to be a minority doesn't seem like something they'd do.

Edit: Just found this old article. Major Nelson says this will never happen.

http://majornelson.com/archive/2007/11/14/will-xbox-originals-have-achievements.aspx

UCB Disco
06-17-2009, 05:06 AM
jukkakhan: Thanks for the websites. I already knew of the Major Nelson one, but reading that UK IGN one was a bit depressing. I didn't even think of the downloadable Retail games. That would kill the Originals, especially if they have everything the Originals didn't (i.e. Achievements and online play).

Oh, well. There is still hope, even if it beyond slim. hahaha.

Pure Efficiency
06-17-2009, 05:17 AM
This has been a topic of discussion many times. To sum these discussions up: It would take too much effort on MS's part to add achievements to already finished games, and why would they give you more bang for your buck? They're already getting $50 a year from millions of people.