PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Add Time Zone underneath our usernames

dakisbac
06-17-2009, 02:30 PM
Along with our postcount, gamertag, etc. This thought occurred to me while reading a thread where someone was bitching about it being hard to boost because no one mentions what time zone they're in.

The time zone selector is right there both when we register and available to change any time from the User CP, so if it's possible I think it should translate over into that area. I don't really know how much work that would be, but I'm guessing it wouldn't be that big a hassle considering there are other User CP aspects already there.

The main issue in opposition I can see is that some people might not have the correct time zone listed. I feel that even if this were the case, it is no more detrimental than having no time zone listed since the end result will be the same: asking which time zone they're in.

If it is possible (I don't think it is, but if) I have thought of a solution to that as well. Like I said, when we register the time zone selector is there. It's automatically set to GMT, so a lot of people who don't care won't touch it. Change it's automatic setting to blank (nothing selected) and make it mandatory to enter. There will still be some people that will choose the wrong one anyway, but if forced to enter their time zone 95% of people (made up statistic) will pick the correct one.

As for appearance... my timezone is listed as (GMT -5:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada), Bogota, Lima although I'm thinking that would be too long. Shortening it to Eastern (GMT -5) I think would look best and not cause so much confusion, people selecting their own already know which zone they're in, and those viewing others don't need to know, all they need is basic math (figuring out the time difference between GMT -5 and GMT -7 for example)

Wow, I didn't expect this to be so long. I tried to put some thought into it as I believe it would be a great feature. Let me know what you guys think

BooseyGirl
06-17-2009, 03:55 PM
I actually think that's a good idea. It would really help in telling us, or giving us a good idea, of what time zone a potential booster is in, which would make coordinating a boosting match that much easier.

KwH x Fatality
06-17-2009, 05:52 PM
That's a very good idea mate. It happens to me alot when no-one posts their timezone when boosting.

Evil Demon55
06-18-2009, 12:50 AM
Great idea. Maybe also right next to the time zone, it shows the time for them. For example GMT -5: 8:46 and under my name, it would say PST -8: 5:46. I think that might add a little more difficulty to set up, but it would be really helpful when looking for boosting partners.

Since, most people have no idea what GMT +8 is/where it is, and little know what GMT -2 is and where it is. I have no idea. And I would see three hours ahead, and always plan 3 hours as such: "Hey I saw you wanted to boost (game) and I can boost at 3 my time till whenever." Now I know that is 6 for him and he will probably get off at around 12 so 9 for me.

Hope that was clear ^ I suck at explaining times and what not. But I think it should say the GMT thing and the time it is for them at that moment.

Edit:

Ok, I think it would be possible to add my idea into it. Why? Because when I look at post times, it shows when they posted that post in my time, not when they posted it in theres. SO I think the time thing could work.

KFZ Scrubs
06-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Yea, that'd totally help someone like me. I live overseas so my time available is different from everybody elses.
Plus, people can see when i'm on and decide right then if they want to boost with me or not.
But, asking them never hurts either.

Shelton
06-23-2009, 03:56 AM
Great idea. Maybe also right next to the time zone, it shows the time for them. For example GMT -5: 8:46 and under my name, it would say PST -8: 5:46. I think that might add a little more difficulty to set up, but it would be really helpful when looking for boosting partners.

This was my only issue with the idea. Even if the time zone was shown, I'd still need to look up the time. Or do some mathematics. Something which I try to stay away from as much as possible. lol.

If the time for their zone was shown however, it'd make organising boosting sessions a more pleasant experience.

Good idea Dak. :) Even more useful with the addition of Demon's suggestion.

Glowin Smurff
06-23-2009, 04:40 AM
wouldn't a problem with this be similar to people who don't put in locations, or use bullshit locations ie. Gotham City, and stupid stuff like that?

Tatanko
06-23-2009, 05:08 AM
This is a great idea. Not just for boosting, but figuring out when to play with other people for any reason at all. I hope they take this idea seriously :)

dakisbac
06-23-2009, 01:28 PM
wouldn't a problem with this be similar to people who don't put in locations, or use bullshit locations ie. Gotham City, and stupid stuff like that?

Given that my idea is based on importing the data ifrom our profile, the time zone we select cannot be fake (we don't type out our time zone like our location, we have to choose from a drop down list). I personally don't know why A) people would want to read the forums with the wrong date/time of post or B) people would intentionally mislead people helping them get achievements, but I know some people will choose the wrong time zone anyway. Like I said though, at worst, people having the wrong time zone simply means you have to ask them, which is the exact same thing we have to do now.

This is a great idea. Not just for boosting, but figuring out when to play with other people for any reason at all. I hope they take this idea seriously :)

Thanks. I really do hope it gets implemented, but no mod/admin has even posted in this thread.

ImpendIn_Agony
06-23-2009, 01:42 PM
I already have an idea of what time it is when the actually place is listed, but this would definitely make it easier in all cases. A good idea that seems easy to implement.:)

kaleido42
06-24-2009, 12:49 AM
Thanks. I really do hope it gets implemented, but no mod/admin has even posted in this thread.

You could try sending a pm to someone about it.

On topic: I think that this would be a really good idea (especially if Evil Demon55's idea got thrown in with it). Might even save some posts in the forums with people trying to figure this stuff out:p.

Glowin Smurff
06-24-2009, 03:42 AM
it's a good idea, i wasn't trying to rain on your parade :)

ApochWeiss
07-04-2009, 07:29 AM
I had that thought too but just decided it best to post EST in the requesting help posts I make anymore. I'm Eastern Standard, and work 11p-7am, so I'm generally up around that time for gaming on my nights off. But I get messages sometimes asking if I'll be on at 5pm PST and I wanna smack 'em. They don't care enough to look that I posted EST in the first place. So, this is a good idea in the concept that MAYBE, if it's under our tags, people will know to look, instead of reading "need help GT: unsername" and sending invites, friend requests, and 30+ messages while you're sleeping.

Minty
08-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Why bump it??

There is already a Location section...if people want, they can show which city they're in there, which allows you to see timezone. Shock horror, you may have to have some geographical knowledge ;)

Pheonix_Assassin
08-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Why bump it??

There is already a Location section...if people want, they can show which city they're in there, which allows you to see timezone. Shock horror, you may have to have some geographical knowledge ;)

Good point, i guess all you have to do is look at "Location" and then you know the timezone :)

dakisbac
08-05-2009, 05:29 PM
Why bump it??

I know that. I usually can tell that way myself, but not everyone can.

Nice to finally get an admin reply though