PDA

View Full Version : The Buyers Quandary

Frostylongcat
06-17-2009, 06:02 PM
Hey everyone, need some advice. I've been going back and doing some re-gaming of my old games to finish off some unfinished achievements and such (the "such" being me going back to Mass Effect and making a game save of every option so i can be prepared for ME2), and I've found that after doing this, i have become bored with every game i own. I've found myself at a fork in the road here. I just bought Red Faction, and i didn't like it so i sold it back to Gamestop. Now I'm a bit low on cash, and I'm not sure what to do.

I came to the two options of either saving my money and waiting for the gold rush of games later this year, or buy something to pass the time. The only game i own now that i still enjoy is SF4, and even that gets old very quickly. What do you guys think I should do? Bide my time and ride it out, or buy something to pass the time. Of course, i have no clue in the world about what to actually buy if I were to get something, so suggestions would be good. I'm looking for something that's not just a....one-time play-through, like prototype.

If it helps, these are the games I own at the moment (only games i enjoyed listed)

Fallout 3
Fable 2
CoD 4
CoD WaW
SF4
Mass Effect
L4D
GTA4
Resident Evil 5

ILoveFawkzes
06-17-2009, 06:11 PM
Im assuming youve already got all the Fallout DC?

GrindPantera95
06-17-2009, 06:14 PM
How about Oblivion IV: Elder Scrolls? Its a very lengthy game that might even hold your attention, plus its very cheap these days.

Headhunter 87
06-17-2009, 06:15 PM
First obvious question is the fallout dlc!!!

Th33Troop33r
06-17-2009, 06:18 PM
Ghoust Busters and prototype are pretty fun

Jollyrodger16
06-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Prototype is on my "might buy list", I'm pretty sure you have to beat it twice. So there's a game that's fun, and if want all the achievements you'll be playing it at least twice. As for Fallout 3 DLC, I'm just going to buy the GOTY edition. But it appears you already own the original, so (if you haven't already) buy the DLC.

Frostylongcat
06-17-2009, 07:21 PM
Okay, sorry i forgot to mention. I HAVE already bought all of the Fallout 3 DLC's, and i have already played Oblivion. My broken steel actually glitched and i haven't been able to play it yet ...lol...but i already have those. Keep em coming guys thanks :woop:.

Frostylongcat
06-18-2009, 12:07 AM
I'm going to post in this thread again to keep it recent. Sorry if that bothers you, deal with it.

Tekoa55
06-18-2009, 12:17 AM
So I'm guessing you like shooters correct? Nothing else? If so I'd buy an older shooter like Kane and Lynch: Dead Men, The Bourne Conspiracy, or Medal of Honor: Airbourne. You can get them pretty cheap and they have pretty easy achievements. Kane and Lynch and Medal of Honor: Airbourne could hold you over for a long while and the DLC for Kane and Lynch is free.

Frostylongcat
06-18-2009, 12:21 AM
So I'm guessing you like shooters correct? Nothing else? If so I'd buy an older shooter like Kane and Lynch: Dead Men or The Bourne Conspiracy. You can get them pretty cheap and they have pretty easy achievements. Kane and Lynch could hold you over and the DLC is free.
I like shooters, but i don't JUST like shooters. I probably play shooters more than other genres, but i like RPG's as well. Thanks for the advice.

Tekoa55
06-18-2009, 12:23 AM
You are welcome. I forgot to type Medal of Honor: Airbourne for another shooter but I edited my post before this one and put it in there. MOH is pretty easy too. I got it 3 months ago for like $20.

Frostylongcat
06-18-2009, 12:27 AM
You are welcome. I forgot to type Medal of Honor: Airbourne for another shooter but I edited my post before this one and put it in there. MOH is pretty easy too. I got it 3 months ago for like $20.
I actually played that at a friend's house and didn't really like it too much. I would rather try out kane and lynch, i heard that was good.

Tekoa55
06-18-2009, 12:29 AM
Yeah Kane and Lynch is pretty fun but make sure you have a friend that can come over to your house to get the co-op achievs seeing that co-op in that game is offline. I like Kane and Lynch. I almost have it completed and I got it about a month ago.

Frostylongcat
06-18-2009, 12:41 AM
Yeah Kane and Lynch is pretty fun but make sure you have a friend that can come over to your house to get the co-op achievs seeing that co-op in that game is offline. I like Kane and Lynch. I almost have it completed and I got it about a month ago.
Just don't wanna blow my money on something i'm not going to LOVE. If i'm going to spend money on a game to spend my time playing before SO many new games come out i wanna make sure it's worth it.

stephenmilne27
06-18-2009, 12:47 AM
if you liked GTA then get Saints Row 2, a very fun game and can also be quite long with lots to do. More fun than GTA with good storyline and very funny moments!

ILoveFawkzes
06-18-2009, 12:51 AM
Bioshock??

Tekoa55
06-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Just don't wanna blow my money on something i'm not going to LOVE. If i'm going to spend money on a game to spend my time playing before SO many new games come out i wanna make sure it's worth it.

Well Kane and Lynch is a unique game experience and if you get used to the controls and the multiplayer, I'm sure you will enjoy it. It will be time consuming to get the "Veteran" achievement and the campaign has pretty good replay value plus you have to beat it on Morphine. The game is good. Not great but pretty good.

Ry Fryy
06-18-2009, 04:10 AM
Amped 3. So very, very underrated. If you can find it, grab it.

LoveAGramm
06-18-2009, 04:22 AM
How about RE5. It kept me busy for a bit.

TIL0W0LF
06-18-2009, 04:31 AM
Why donīt you try also Farcry 2. It's quite fun and it could be quite long.
Or do you already have GH Metallica? It's also a good option for spending your time.

Frostylongcat
06-18-2009, 05:53 AM
Why donīt you try also Farcry 2. It's quite fun and it could be quite long.
Or do you already have GH Metallica? It's also a good option for spending your time.
I actually rented both of those and got as much fun as i wanted out of them.

Fonkey Monkey
06-18-2009, 06:06 AM
Go buy Viva Pinata, you can get the first one for like a nickel. Or if you want an even better game, VP:Trouble in Paradise, which is on sale from Gamefly for $22. Now.
Bully is really cheap too..awesome underrated game.

Tekoa55
06-19-2009, 07:48 PM
By the way FrostyLongCat if you do get Kane and Lynch let me know and we could play.

Galrick
06-19-2009, 09:41 PM
You actually sound like you're a little burnt-out. Why just not take a break from active gaming and go out a bit? Hang with some friends and do outdoor stuff. Might be fun. ;)

Tenacious
06-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Guitar Hero 3. If you haven't played it, you MUST.

Frostylongcat
06-19-2009, 10:29 PM
You actually sound like you're a little burnt-out. Why just not take a break from active gaming and go out a bit? Hang with some friends and do outdoor stuff. Might be fun. ;)
I'm not really...burnt-out. It's just that.....i've sort of become addicted to completing a game for its achievements. After that the game is sort of a waste of space to me. Take for instance...Fable 2. I really loved playing that game, but once i got all the achievements i just completely dropped it. And for your information smart-guy i do "outdoor stuff", i'm not just a shut-in. I actually just rented Bionic Commando. Got 775 AP in one night lol. Gonna finish that up today and take it back tommorow. Will try and rent either Prototype or Ghostbusters to hold my time. Just need something....more substantial to actually "buy" that i can pick up every day and do a little something with. Not just a linear action game.

Incinderator
06-19-2009, 11:53 PM
The Orange Box. It's 5 games in 1, and developed by Valve, so it's going to keep you occupied for a long time. It's almost all shooters, though, and Team Fortress 2 is all online, but I think it's a great deal for how much you spend on it.

If you want easy achievements, get Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard. It's short, but for completion you'll have to play it through twice, unless you enter the cheat for the hardest difficulty. However, it isn't one of the greatest games you'll play, but it certainly won't be one of the worst. At least, I thought so.

You like RPG's too, so how about Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic? It's an original Xbox game, though, so you won't get any achievements, but it'll certainly keep you occupied.

Frostylongcat
06-20-2009, 12:35 AM
The Orange Box. It's 5 games in 1, and developed by Valve, so it's going to keep you occupied for a long time. It's almost all shooters, though, and Team Fortress 2 is all online, but I think it's a great deal for how much you spend on it.

If you want easy achievements, get Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard. It's short, but for completion you'll have to play it through twice, unless you enter the cheat for the hardest difficulty. However, it isn't one of the greatest games you'll play, but it certainly won't be one of the worst. At least, I thought so.

You like RPG's too, so how about Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic? It's an original Xbox game, though, so you won't get any achievements, but it'll certainly keep you occupied.
#1 - I already have TF2 and HL2 for the PC, so that would be a bit of a waste.
#2 - I actually really wanted to get Eat Lead but i read the reviews and my mind was changed. I may rent it one day.
#3 - I never played Star Wars NOR, but i heard it was really good. The only problem with that, as you stated, is that it's an xbox original. I have a bit of a problem with playing older games. For some reason if a game's graphics are not up to par with what i usually play, i just get bored. It's kind of sad because there are so many good older games that i've tried to play, but i just get bored.

phatRizzo
06-20-2009, 03:04 AM
Go buy Viva Pinata, you can get the first one for like a nickel. Or if you want an even better game, VP:Trouble in Paradise, which is on sale from Gamefly for $22. Now.
Bully is really cheap too..awesome underrated game.

Copletely agree here... Viva Pinata games will keep you busy for awhile, and they are actually very fun..... Bully is a fun game, only takes around 20 hours for a 1000 though, so maybe just a rent for that one...

Eat Lead is easy for achievements, but I found it pretty boring.... The first half I found it fun and interesting, but then it just gets repetitive, found I was just playing to beat it... just my opinion, but yep....

Frostylongcat
06-20-2009, 03:30 AM
Copletely agree here... Viva Pinata games will keep you busy for awhile, and they are actually very fun.....
What exactly do you....DO in the Viva Pinata games? Is it like....an animal / farm simulator sort of thing? Let's put it this way, if you could compare Viva Pinata to any other game, what would you compare it to?

Galrick
06-20-2009, 04:33 AM
And for your information smart-guy i do "outdoor stuff", i'm not just a shut-in.

No need to be rude. I didn't mean to imply anything.

Fonkey Monkey
06-20-2009, 05:49 AM
What exactly do you....DO in the Viva Pinata games? Is it like....an animal / farm simulator sort of thing? Let's put it this way, if you could compare Viva Pinata to any other game, what would you compare it to?

In my mind its a cross between Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, and The Sims. Not to mention the absolute gorgeous graphics and attention to detail.

J0shUK
06-20-2009, 06:02 AM
If you like RPG's then I highly suggest these games (in order of greatness):

1) Lost Odyssey - Great turn-based RPG, long game, keep you entertained for 40+ hours. Easily best game of its kind on 360.

2) The Last Remnant - Good, long game. I did quit it at one point, and then come back to it. If your after the gamerpoints, I would advise it since they are a b*****d to obtain.

3) Infinite Undiscovery - I haven't actually completed this game yet myself, but I'm half way through and it isn't too bad at the moment. Keeping me entertained :)

All of these games are pretty cheap now as well, I would imagine around $15-$25 judging by UK prices.

Edit:

I see that you have played Lost Odyssey already. But you should consider the other two.

Frostylongcat
06-20-2009, 06:34 AM
In my mind its a cross between Animal Crossing, Harvest Moon, and The Sims. Not to mention the absolute gorgeous graphics and attention to detail.
Hmm...well i absolutely loved every single one of those games, so i may just give it a try, thanks for the info. And to Josh, i heard the last remnant got mediocre reviews, but i haven't heard a thing about infinite undiscovery, i may look into that if i can find out more about it, thanks.

EDIT - Oh, and Galrick. I wasn't trying to sound rude.