PDA

View Full Version : Can certain games get you red ring of death?

True I Skill
06-17-2009, 08:38 PM
My brother just got a new game today and as he started playing it a while later he's xbox360 got red ring of death. Is it possible for games to do this? I hurd some people talking about fable2 doing it, but didnt beleive them. Before, the game was..

BattleStation pasific.

GR1N_REAP3R
06-17-2009, 08:44 PM
Well it not the games in general that gives the xbox the RROD. RROD it usually cause by the xbox over heating. I have the RROD once and that was the day after buying my first xbox and never since then. But RROD can also be caused temperaly if you where to accidently cut power from the xbox. And thats a easy fix(if you where to get it by losing power to concsole) by turning your xbox off and wait a min.

Gun-Nut
06-17-2009, 08:46 PM
I don't believe a game can cause the RROD, I know I got the RROD while playing Blacksite and took me almost a year to put that game back in but its fine.

It was just its time.

kalvaza
06-17-2009, 08:49 PM
I got 3 RRoD's in quick succession while playing Burnout Paradise. The last one occurring less than 5 minutes after turning the box on.

I was still under warranty and now have a collection of 3 Month of Gold cards and 5 white faceplates but I still get really nervous when putting the Burnout disc in. :P

kentarulez
06-17-2009, 09:04 PM
Any game made by microsoft.......Bill gates loves our money :D......honestly though, I'm pretty sure it's just bad luck.

ferrara316
06-17-2009, 11:56 PM
Avatar: The Last Airbender will surely give you the RROD lol.

just kidding!

True I Skill
06-18-2009, 12:39 AM
Well i guess il try out the game then.
He's xbox got it a Year and 2 weeks after he got he's last red ring of death. Strange..

colmotoole2
06-18-2009, 02:47 AM
its just a coincidence

ApochWeiss
06-18-2009, 04:06 AM
I don't believe games can do it, but I'll tell you this: I loved The Maw, it was one of my favorite arcade titles to date. I admit, I thought the Maw was cute as hell and very much like a dog, and I'm a dog lover. So I bought the DLC for it as it came out, and the third DLC that hit the marketplace...as soon as I boot up the stage, 5 seconds into it, my 360 locks up.

Now, bare in mind all I did was go to the marketplace and buy the game. It was not runningf or hours, or kept in a place where it wasn't getting proper ventilation.

I turn my 360 off after 6 minutes of being on and 5 seconds of gaming, and wham, RRoD. I called and complained, as my 360 was out of warranty, and the answering service guy let it slip that it wasn't the first call like this he had received.

So, I think that game's DLC may have had a glitch that caused the RRoD. Can't say for sure, but by what he said over the phone, that's what it sounded like to me.

XOv3rdoz3PRX
06-18-2009, 05:55 AM
i got error e-71 [one red light bottom right side] after playing CoD 4 on one xbox...and then got it on my other xbox when i popped in CoD:WaW..i thought that was odd but the only explanation that i could offer is some use of the ANA chip.

GR1N_REAP3R
06-18-2009, 06:44 AM
i got error e-71 [one red light bottom right side] after playing CoD 4 on one xbox...and then got it on my other xbox when i popped in CoD:WaW..i thought that was odd but the only explanation that i could offer is some use of the ANA chip.

E71: Dashboard Error - Error within Xam.xex: possibly a dashboard update error, Check below in the "Console Reset Codes" for instructions. If that does not work there is no other solution and the console must be sent back to MS for repair.

MrMario2011
06-18-2009, 07:32 AM
I DID hear about Fable 2. I put many hours into it and never had a problem, but one of my friends got a E74 while playing it. Halo 3 I know can kill your Xbox if you keep overloading the maps and such, that's how my friend killed his first one, but he kept doing it over and over for 30 minutes at a time.

Ligerblaze
06-18-2009, 12:18 PM
I got the E74 when i bought Too Human. Took me to the load up screen and everything went into weird colors lol. Was scared to play it after that but its been fine since.

hitman08
06-18-2009, 06:30 PM
if they did that knowing that it would cause the problem they would get sued a shitload of

ILoveFawkzes
06-18-2009, 07:48 PM
I put in deadspace with the old dashboard on my xbox, my xbox had been working fine for 2 years and had been off overnight so it wasnt hot, anyway, I put in deadspace and it freezes, so i restart the console, try it again and it 3RROD, so i pop out deadspace and turn it on, it all works fine, pop the game back in and it RROD again.

I then took off my harddrive and popped the game back out thinking it was the DLC for the game, my xbox turns on fine, pop the game back in without the HDD and it RROD, AGAIN.

This time it wasnt fixable... and I had to send it in.

So im gonna say ya, a game can RROD your xbox

dark lord me
06-18-2009, 10:24 PM
2.5 Years of lots of playing and no RROD
Knocks on wood

Female Ninja
06-18-2009, 10:43 PM
I put in deadspace with the old dashboard on my xbox, my xbox had been working fine for 2 years and had been off overnight so it wasnt hot, anyway, I put in deadspace and it freezes, so i restart the console, try it again and it 3RROD, so i pop out deadspace and turn it on, it all works fine, pop the game back in and it RROD again.

I then took off my harddrive and popped the game back out thinking it was the DLC for the game, my xbox turns on fine, pop the game back in without the HDD and it RROD, AGAIN.

This time it wasnt fixable... and I had to send it in.

So im gonna say ya, a game can RROD your xbox

You have to remember though that when you put in any game, thats when your 360 heats up the fastest and starts working more.

So if it's already going to go and you take one game and put it in and out a few times. it doesn't matter what that game is.

The problem is the heatsinks on the 360's which suck, and sometimes they are made with cold solder joints, and with the constant changing of temperature inside, it leads to the solder's cracking and falling apart.

And never use the intercooler...that makes it worse.

kalvaza
06-19-2009, 12:12 AM
And never use the intercooler...that makes it worse.

Heh, I was in a game store once where a new guy (at least I hadn't seen him before) was getting a bit too enthusiastic and tried to sell me one of those things. He started giving me shit about how it improves performance, makes my 360 quieter and uses less power.

I told him I wasn't an idiot so he then tried to sell me a wireless mic before I walked out. Haven't seen him since. :p

KFZ Scrubs
06-19-2009, 07:55 AM
I heard that cod4 can give you some trouble on your xbox.
Personally, it gave me the e74 error.

SilentSpartan7
06-19-2009, 11:18 AM
na i really dont think so its just overheating and a coincidence, id say if your playing a game that req alot of the drive speeding up as iv found with some of my crap games it may overheat quicker i dunno but the game itself causing it, na in that case wouldn all of the games that came out the factory do it

Pure Efficiency
06-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Playing a game can't make your xbox rrod. An rrod is a problem with the hardware itself, therefore a game couldn't mess up your system in this way.

CaptainSpanner
06-19-2009, 01:48 PM
a friend of mine got RROD whilst playing call of duty 3. he turned it back on 10 mins later and it was fine.

sweatdog
06-19-2009, 01:59 PM
I believe games which are addictive tend to cause the problems more because long playing sessions tend to cause the system to overheat. When you see lists of games that people suspect causes the problems, you always see a list of the most popular games. I don't believe anything in the software triggers the problem.

But that's just my opinion. I'm no tech expert, certainly.

Blue Radium
06-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Quality games cause more stress, I would presume. Guitar Hero: Metallica is what sent my first Xbox to its grave, but I had literally had my Xbox on for about 5 minutes before it happened. I am pretty sure this has to do with the heat sink warping from overly large amounts of heat than cooling, so I saw the effects after the cooling. It's not the game as much as it is the stardard lifetime of your system though.

bapae
06-20-2009, 03:33 AM
I heard something about deadrising causing them and capcom was thinking about recalling it.

Fezz
06-20-2009, 04:49 AM
The only reason I can think of is that some games are more graphically advanced and require more FPS than others, and pull more power from your xbox, making it hotter. That's my guess.

Osiris11235
06-21-2009, 02:26 PM
I'm sure this is completely coincidental, but my first XBOX got the RROD while I was playing Soul Calibur 4. I blame the excellent graphics for pushing the console hard :)

PMILL69
06-21-2009, 02:28 PM
well I got the red wings 4 times but 2 of the times I can remember playing battlefield bad company and nhl08

Ligerblaze
06-21-2009, 02:34 PM
a friend of mine got RROD whilst playing call of duty 3. he turned it back on 10 mins later and it was fine.

I think people mainly get rrod from the Call of Duty games because they play them for hours and hours at a time which heats the xbox :p

iiGNiiT3
06-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Some people got rrod after they updated to the nxe

Tonykins
06-21-2009, 02:44 PM
My old xbox actually got RROD from Fallout3. I played it for 2 days straight, slept on the 3rd day and on the fourth the RROD came. :(

True I Skill
06-21-2009, 03:03 PM
Thanks guys, i guess its just because its played too much.. My brother didnt play it that long tho, I guess he must of been on it alot the day before tho.
Thanks.

Psychic
06-21-2009, 04:30 PM
Avatar: The Last Airbender will surely give you the RROD lol.

just kidding!

HAHAHA

Well I got RROD while playing Call Of Duty 4 and my buddy got RROD while playing Devil May Cry 4. Watch out for those "4" games lol jp

sweatdog
06-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Whether it's just playing the system heavily for long period to time, or the software of certain games causing the system to overheat, it still sucks that they can't manufacture the hardware to withstand what I consider to be normal use.