View Full Version : Posts not counting?

01-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Not that I'm trying to get a badge or anything, I'm just curious as to what is going on here... I was over 300 posts on a couple of occasions and then my number went down (I assume this is due to old threads being deleted?)
Secondly... I'm at a friend's house and relatively bored (hence I am up all night posting in every thread I find remotely interesting) and I noticed that for the past 7 or 8 posts I have remained at 399 posts (Is this due to some posts-per-hour rule?)
Like I said, I'm not trying to spam up my numbers here or anything, just curious as to what is up?

01-03-2007, 02:35 PM
Hmm, I'm not sure but I think all posts in the "off-topic" board doesnt count. Also if you submit something, the post will get deleted after it's added to the site, so that might be it as well.

01-03-2007, 02:41 PM
That makes some sense, as I've been spending a lot of time in "off-topic" lately... But I haven't really submitted anything. I was at least a dozen posts over 300 the times I reverted to under 300... Oh well, no biggie and thanks for the cameo Routine!

01-03-2007, 02:58 PM
A lot of posts went down when we deleted the nominations for the Awards- so thats probably where they went.

And there are a few forums where people were just spamming, so they no longer count towards your post count. Top 5 lists being themain example ;)

01-03-2007, 03:03 PM
... and that explains the rest of it! Thanks Minty!

Gunstar Chaos
01-03-2007, 03:13 PM
You could make a trash forum in the staff section to move threads to instead of deleting them, that way the posts aren't lost.

01-06-2007, 04:43 AM
You could make a trash forum in the staff section to move threads to instead of deleting them, that way the posts aren't lost.

But then people would repost trying to find that Information...

Anyways, i was wondering if the "Member Profiles" section counts toward your post count. In my Opinion< It shouldnt, Theres not really much to say there, and seems like a good place for noobs to get some quick and easy posts...

01-06-2007, 04:47 AM
It counts right now, and I think that we should keep it that way. It makes new members feel welcomed, and if they are happy, then I am happy.

Unlike the Top 5 lists, and Off-topic, where people could make 10 messages in 1 thread, people don't have a reason to post several times in a row on that forum.

01-06-2007, 04:56 AM
I think The Board should be kept, although the posts shouldnt be counted...

And Off-Topic Should be Counted IMO...

01-06-2007, 04:57 AM
Nope... I like the way we have it setup now.

01-06-2007, 05:02 AM
I Dont, Just because Personally, I could get About 4 Posts A Day Just Pasting:
"Welcome To The boards, Stick around and get Involved"
Into every new Members thread.
And Still get posts.

While I really spend about half my Time Here, In the Off-Topic Section actually posting useful things...

01-06-2007, 05:09 AM
Well, your not supposed to Copy and Paste responses, lol. I give everyone a customized welcome.

Gunstar Chaos
01-06-2007, 07:31 AM
But then people would repost trying to find that Information...

If the thread is deleted then they would do the same thing anyway. Trashing it will only help keep the post count of the members. However, I don't feel that it's that big of an issue.

01-06-2007, 07:32 AM
If we get rid of the posts counting in the Welcome thread, then yeah it would be better and would be a lot less spamming in there. But then you would also have members posting, not getting any recognition for it and then being discouraged and leaving the forums.

Off-topic does count as w whole, its only certain boards that dont- mainly the ones that were purely being spammed. SUch as Top 5 boards.

In relation to a board where all deleted threads can be moved- no point. Just clutters the place up. Stuff like nominations for the Awards ended up with people spamming them as well- no point in keeping them for sentimental reasons.

For people that say post counts dont matter- you lot sure seem bothered ;)

01-06-2007, 10:28 AM
I think people are getting confused here...

We DON'T delete old threads, you can go to the last page of any forum and see that they date back to February.

We DID delete the awards threads because they are not needed anymore, they were only temp, as is this years, as is the board in fact. Once we have used all the data for the main article, there will be no need and it will disappear till next year.

I agree with Minty on the member profile board.

That is all from me.