PDA

View Full Version : My 360's drive just bit the big one.

ApochWeiss
06-18-2009, 08:02 AM
So how much is this gonna freakin' run me?

I'm trying to play my 360 and it won't read any games on discs. I have Rock Revolution and Ghostbusters with me. It read Ghostbusters fine since yesterday, but I've been sitting here for 30 minutes and it will not read the games. With Ghostbusters it gives me an xbox360 logo screen. and with rock revolution I am told to put the 360 disc in a 360 console. WTF?

Anyone have this problem before and know how much it'd cost to repair since the console is out of warranty? USD please if you know. thanks.

Squirrel257
06-18-2009, 08:10 AM
Hey Apoch. This info is correct for Australia.

When my xbox shat itself (E74 error) they asked if it was RROD or disc drive problem. According to the person I talk to they cost the same to repair if the box is out of warranty. However for me this was not needed due to 3 year extended warranty.

I was quoted $150 AUS (approx $119.24 US). I don't know if you would see this as worth it when you can get a new console for just over double. Up to you really.

Other alternative is to pray it starts working again.

Hope this helps.

ApochWeiss
06-18-2009, 08:23 AM
Hey Apoch. This info is correct for Australia.

When my xbox shat itself (E74 error) they asked if it was RROD or disc drive problem. According to the person I talk to they cost the same to repair if the box is out of warranty. However for me this was not needed due to 3 year extended warranty.

I was quoted $150 AUS (approx $119.24 US). I don't know if you would see this as worth it when you can get a new console for just over double. Up to you really.

Other alternative is to pray it starts working again.

Hope this helps.

LMFAO I continued to open and close the drive, as well a pummel the living shit out that system from 30 minutes before I posted that, to just now when I was going to say fuck it not worth it, I'll buy a new one, and it FINALLY read Ghostbusters.

I have one that is red ringed, but I think I sent the box empty as it's shipped, but I found the system here a few days ago haha. So I'll ship that off for repairs. This one is a repaired one that broke a little over a month of having it. I called about it and they said that once a system is repaired or replaced I have a 30 day warranty. The fuck happened to the 3 year warranty?! The console wasn't even a year old, too. Bastards.

Oh well, good to know if this problem persists I should just junk it. Thanks for the heads up.

jason86586
06-18-2009, 08:30 AM
i too have a drive problem where my xbox doesnt read the disc. However for me normally after 3-4 tries it works properly

Squirrel257
06-18-2009, 09:20 AM
. The fuck happened to the 3 year warranty?! The console wasn't even a year old, too. Bastards.

Didn't they cut all the warranties down to 1 years when they realised how much they fucked up the build of the machine. I payed $80 AUS for the extended 3 year and it was the best buy I have made on my machine.

I box red ringed after 13 months - sent it off (would have cost $150 AUS as it was outside the 1 year period - but got it free due to extended warranty). Got my warranty company to give me VIP treatment. Time from sending the box to getting it back was 96 hours. And I am still covered for nearly another 2 years! So if it red rings once a year - I save $370 AUS ($150 x 3 - 80). HELL YEAH!

NameTaken69
06-18-2009, 09:34 AM
I have 1 xbox sitting in a drawer because it stopped reading discs completely.. it will say "reading disc" then go back to the "open tray" when you are on the my xbox on the dashboard. My current xbox is doing the same thing yours is. Older games or games I've played a lot I normally have to open and close a bunch of times, getting the "Play DVD" and then it comes up with insert into a 360 console... newer games I dont have much of a problem with. I'm getting an Elite soon so I'm thinking about smashing these 2 I have with a hammer, crapping on them, throwing 'em in a box and mailing them to M$.

OldBayFries
06-18-2009, 11:51 AM
My last 2 Xboxs did the same thing before they bit the dust with a E74 error. After not being able to read some discs the screen went all black and green checkerboard like. Then the e74.

Dukefan45
06-18-2009, 05:16 PM
If you head over to the support part of xbox.com and go through everything to repair a console, there's a part where you put in the error and it will tell you the cost. From what I remember from Monday when I was packing my console up, everything was either free or $99.99. You might as well check to see how much it'll cost before wasting money on a new console.

ThrillKillBill
06-18-2009, 05:22 PM
you could buy a used system from gamestop.... then take your faulty one back and claim they sold you the crummy one and either get another system or your money back.

i favor the extra system so at any given time you could have 3 consoles breaking on you :p

Honestly though, if you get another. Get the elite..... i had mine no problems for 2 years then i had sound issues so i sold it and got another only to find out the sound issues was my TV :mad:

Bass Slapper94
06-18-2009, 05:57 PM
So how much is this gonna freakin' run me?

I'm trying to play my 360 and it won't read any games on discs. I have Rock Revolution and Ghostbusters with me. It read Ghostbusters fine since yesterday, but I've been sitting here for 30 minutes and it will not read the games. With Ghostbusters it gives me an xbox360 logo screen. and with rock revolution I am told to put the 360 disc in a 360 console. WTF?

Anyone have this problem before and know how much it'd cost to repair since the console is out of warranty? USD please if you know. thanks.
This happened to me before I got the RRoD. I was trying to play Condemned 2 and it gave me the same message it gave to your Rock Revolution.

hitman08
06-18-2009, 06:10 PM
I had this problem ages ago, and to get rid of it i simply punched the crap out of it and hey presto it worked, gives you red knuckles for a week tho lol

Mr Burgerz
06-18-2009, 06:37 PM
If there's something strange in your neighbourhood, who you gonna call? Microsoft Tech support! Or you know, the police. They're probably equipped to deal with most situations. Plus, you'd be getting your tax pennies back!