PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Achievement Type

Zef
01-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Which kinds of achievement do you think are the best?

Getting viral achievements online
Attaining glory on the leaderboards
Reaching a certain level
Beating a certain stage
Demolishing a Boss
Unlocking a character or item
Completing the story
Collecting knick-knacks and doo-dads
Finishing all challenges
Killing a whole bunch of baddies
Or something else?

This was originally a poll, but who cares? =P

slowpantz
01-03-2007, 11:57 AM
I love all acheivements :p
But for my favorite type would be just playing through the game.

Wreckon Dracgon
01-03-2007, 12:32 PM
I enjoy obtaining all types of achievements. I don't know if I have a particular favorite type other than those that are hard earned. I mean each and every achievement on CoD2 made me feel great upon unlocking each one. Which would fall under finishing a level category but you don't get that same feeling when finishing a level on Eragon. After finally getting through Gun on Insane I felt Euphoria but not so much once I finished Superman. So I'd definitely say the type of achievements I prefer are the tough ones that are doable with a little perseverance. The ones I hate are the kill 10,000, play 1,000, and easily the one achievement I hate most is the Frequent Flier - Fly 10,000 miles on Superman it just makes no sense.

ScottEvil30
01-03-2007, 12:56 PM
Yeah 10,000 miles on Superman so awful. I only had 1,500 miles after killing the tornados. Do they seriously expect me to just fly around for another 8,500 miles?

And the 10,000 tonnes is pretty awful as well.

highpass
01-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Definitely challenges/collecting for me. Leaderboards are nearly always buggered due to boosting, and related achievements ought be 0 pointers (purely for bragging rights).
Players ought be rewarded more for doing things out of the ordinary, like the cross-romancing one in Viva Pinata. It's all good though.

PerpetualHeaven
01-03-2007, 04:12 PM
Getting the last achievement of a game for a 1000. You don't have that option but that's my favourite achievement.

Zef
01-03-2007, 04:35 PM
Definitely challenges/collecting for me. Leaderboards are nearly always buggered due to boosting, and related achievements ought be 0 pointers (purely for bragging rights).
Players ought be rewarded more for doing things out of the ordinary, like the cross-romancing one in Viva Pinata. It's all good though.

I hate leaderboard ones, especially when the leaderboards don't get updated or restarted for ages.

Criterion did well to make the Celebrity Status more attainable, it's kind of a leaderboard.

I like the idea of 0 points for them, they are still there for people to get just not essential for 'completing' the game.

Maka
01-03-2007, 04:42 PM
Hated Achievement Types:
Top Leaderboard Spot (But if It was In Carbon, I wouldve Got it, F*ck!)
Collecting Sh*t

Loved Achievements:
Finishing All Challenges or All Races or All Misssions
Anything to show online skills.
None of them now, but would be cool. One of top 100 or one of top 1000 for any leaderboard (Would work best for racing, like "Obtain A spot in the top 100 for any track)

graf1k
01-03-2007, 06:41 PM
Rather than list all the achievements I like, I find it easier to list the few I hate.

Getting viral achievements online - Not so bad if they are actually activated. Fucking EA.... :wtf

Attaining glory on the leaderboards - All it does is encourage boosting and other shenanigans.

Gunstar Chaos
01-03-2007, 07:49 PM
I like the unique achievements and the ones on GOW are good, they aren't too hard and sometimes not to easy. Leaderboards aren't cool as some people don't play online 24/7 nor have the chance to. So they can't complete the game (achievement wise) due to that.

chaos bz
01-03-2007, 08:04 PM
Anything I unlocked in dead or alive 4 was such an amazing felling, so I guess unlocking characters and going through the story.

PerpetualHeaven
01-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Anyways, it took me a while to decide on an actual achievement type and I have to say either online ones (like kill 10,000 people.. awesome achievement) and completing story mode achievements.

J2 Da R
01-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Anything that can be attained off-line is my favorite.

IceWarm
01-04-2007, 02:54 AM
Probably beating a level under certain conditions. Like some of the mission achievements for Star Trek Legacy. Or some of the mission weapon achievement in Call of Duty 3. Like rifleman when you only use bolt action rifles in a level.

IceWarm
01-04-2007, 03:00 AM
Also achievements for online games I play a lot of. Like kill X amount of other players, kill X amount of players with a certain weapon and so on.

ImmortalLeoman
01-04-2007, 03:18 AM
I love killing a boss or beating the game

Fonkey Monkey
01-04-2007, 03:30 AM
i like how GUN was set up, only not so much on the beat it for diff times part.

graf1k
01-04-2007, 04:54 AM
i like how GUN was set up, only not so much on the beat it for diff times part.

That reminds me. If you are going to make achievements for each difficulty level of your game, remember two things. 1) If I beat the game on Hard, don't make me play it again to get the easy and normal achievements too. They should unlock at the same time. 2) Don't make me play through the game once on Medium difficulty to unlock Hard difficulty. It's stupid. Fucking Prey...

heman38
01-17-2007, 07:47 PM
my favorite are the campaign achievements. i really dont like the online achievements. i usually dont go for those