PDA

View Full Version : Forum Idea: After post submission, a list of related posts would be displayed

Cohh
06-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Imagine this; no more telling people to use the search function. No more redundant posts...

The idea is that when you hit "Submit" on a new post, a screen would pop up displaying all related threads. This would be done with a quick parse of the forum post, keeping tabs on frequently used words, and words used in relation to the words in the title. This would generate a list of keywords, prioritized, that would then be checked against titles of other posts in that forum. If one exists that is simliar, it would be displayed, in list form, with a recommendation to read the other thread, or add to it, before posting your own.

This would revolutionize the way forums are being handled currently. It would essentially void out redundant posts if people are paying attention.

I'm seeing this all over the place in the Prototype forums right now; they're probably 6+ threads on Elizabeth Green alone.

Anyway, I have no idea how feasible something like this would be. I know it's possible, but would most likely require a full rewrite of the forum code.

If you guys have any Code Monkeys over there, you could change the face of forums forever with that implementation =p

punker
06-18-2009, 06:00 PM
This would revolutionize the way forums are being handled currently. It would essentially void out redundant posts if people are paying attention.

Wonderful idea, but there's the problem. People won't pay attention. If people paid attention to things in the first place, there wouldn't be so many duplicate threads about things.

Cohh
06-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Wonderful idea, but there's the problem. People won't pay attention. If people paid attention to things in the first place, there wouldn't be so many duplicate threads about things.

Well, you could add a check box at the bottom of the list that states "I have read over the above list and none of these topics relate to what I'm posting" that would have to be checked for the Submit button to appear :)

Ben Sharpe
06-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Well, you could add a check box at the bottom of the list that states "I have read over the above list and none of these topics relate to what I'm posting" that would have to be checked for the Submit button to appear :)

The same ones that are used to ensure you 'read' the code of use document when installing software? People would just tick it anyway.

Trust me a tick box doesn't mean people will read it.

EDIT: Also tbh the amount of extra work needed would be outragous, and lets be honest is it such a big problem?

Ingles
06-18-2009, 07:40 PM
This would be a really handy feature to add to the forums. Do you know a site where maybe you saw a feature like this to show off to the community what it would look like? I think it'd be awesome but have no clue the work that would be involved in making a feature like that a possibility.

I guess we'll have to wait for RX to see this thread.

kaleido42
06-18-2009, 09:46 PM
Anyway, I have no idea how feasible something like this would be. I know it's possible, but would most likely require a full rewrite of the forum code.

If you guys have any Code Monkeys over there, you could change the face of forums forever with that implementation =p

RoutineX would be the "Code Monkey". As for feasibility, they did not wright the code themselves, they used vbulletin. Obviously this would mean a major rewrite and I think they have other things that they would probably want to do with their time, possibly finish making those profiles;).

People won't pay attention. If people paid attention to things in the first place, there wouldn't be so many duplicate threads about things.

:whs

The same ones that are used to ensure you 'read' the code of use document when installing software? People would just tick it anyway.

Trust me a tick box doesn't mean people will read it.

EDIT: Also tbh the amount of extra work needed would be outragous, and lets be honest is it such a big problem?

:whs, except, yes, it is a problem, that's why they need mods:p

I guess we'll have to wait for RX to see this thread.

Odds, are RX won't see this, out of how many years he has only made like 1000 posts, he's not exactly the most active member:p. If you really want to get things moving either show this page to The Pants Party or Tron. If you show it to The Pants Party I can imagine this getting shut down right away. If you show it to Tron he might inform RX of this. I would definitely send this to him through a mod (looks like someone higher up likes it then;)). Most important rule I have heard is not to nag him about it, from what I have heard (not sure if its true) that just irritates him and he shoves it farther down the list.

In the end, good idea, rather complicated, let's see what happens.:)