PDA

View Full Version : One guy online made me major facepalm.

leburn98
06-19-2009, 04:54 AM
I just finished a campaign online and one guy comments that "this is boring, I'll be returning it tomorrow." While I respect a person's opinion, I thought I would check out how much of the game this guy played.

First of all, this was his first and only campaign online. The first match he plays was Protection, which is somewhat fun but not nearly as awesome as containment or survival.

Then I figure maybe multiplayer isn't his thing, he must have completed the singleplayer, right? Wrong! He only beat the first Sedgewick Hotel level. He only has 100 GS in the entire game, and he calls this boring?

I assume he is not a Ghostbusters fan, cause if he was he would love this game, at the very least for the excellent singleplayer experience. The multiplayer is not the best out there, but is decent fun if only for the fact that it brings back memories of being a GB at the park when I was 6 years old.

If you are not a GB fan, why are you buying or even renting the game? It's the same with any game based on a movie, especially one that stays so true to the source material. Goldeneye 64 was the rare example of pleasing a wide variety of gamers, because when it comes right down to it, it's just a shooter. The biggest appeal of GB is using that proton pack, not everyone's cup of tea.

neok182
06-19-2009, 05:12 AM
yea if i wasn't a GB fan i wouldn't of bought the game. just dosn't make sense, unless i guess if your a gamerscore freak

Drag00n2019
06-20-2009, 12:24 AM
yea if i wasn't a GB fan i wouldn't of bought the game. just dosn't make sense, unless i guess if your a gamerscore freak Agreed. Dunno the appeal of Gamerscore freaks.

Judivarious
06-20-2009, 12:30 AM
I am a somewhat ghostbusters fan, but I am REALLY enjoying the game....

Unfortunately, I still haven't got around to testing out the multiplayer.

Elektrohazard
06-20-2009, 09:30 AM
This game was meant for the fans. I guess a regular gamer could pick it up and enjoy it, but wouldn't appreciate most of it, including the puns and dancing toaster.

TrishTheDish
06-20-2009, 12:47 PM
I just finished a campaign online and one guy comments that "this is boring, I'll be returning it tomorrow." While I respect a person's opinion, I thought I would check out how much of the game this guy played.

First of all, this was his first and only campaign online. The first match he plays was Protection, which is somewhat fun but not nearly as awesome as containment or survival.

Then I figure maybe multiplayer isn't his thing, he must have completed the singleplayer, right? Wrong! He only beat the first Sedgewick Hotel level. He only has 100 GS in the entire game, and he calls this boring?

I assume he is not a Ghostbusters fan, cause if he was he would love this game, at the very least for the excellent singleplayer experience. The multiplayer is not the best out there, but is decent fun if only for the fact that it brings back memories of being a GB at the park when I was 6 years old.

If you are not a GB fan, why are you buying or even renting the game? It's the same with any game based on a movie, especially one that stays so true to the source material. Goldeneye 64 was the rare example of pleasing a wide variety of gamers, because when it comes right down to it, it's just a shooter. The biggest appeal of GB is using that proton pack, not everyone's cup of tea.
Excellent single player experience? Did we play the same game here? Between the horrid level design, braindead AI, repetitive gameplay tasks, and flat out Gears Of War ripoffs I'm not sure I'd call this an excellent anything.

Even the story, written by Akroyid and Ramis, wasn't that funny. Don't get me wrong, there were some great parts (mostly Vigo's lines) but overall this was such a disappointment from two guys who had freaking TWENTY FIVE years to work on it.

And it's quite possible to play a game if you're not a fan of the source material. People might be... oh, I don't know, CURIOUS about something? I think that might be a key reason video game rentals exsit. I hated Red Faction 1 and 2, and yet I'm loving the new one.

Although I will give you 100gs isn't much of the game, but after you've done the Museum level you've pretty much seen it all and the rest just drags on seemingly endlessly.

Midnight Malice
06-20-2009, 01:17 PM
and flat out Gears Of War ripoffs I'm not sure I'd call this an excellent anything.

Why? Cause you can sprint and the camera shakes behind you? That is the only thing that is even like Gears. Everything else is pretty much origional to games.

And the GAME may not be excellent at anything, but it was excellent to the fans. They took the material and made a solid game out of it. Not GOTY by any means, but it is fun, and the gameplay is actually good. BTW, 95% of games are repetitive, it is just a matter of how much YOU think it is. Gears... run to cover, shoot, run to cover shoot, throw grenade, run to cover shoot....

DanDanMuffinMan
06-20-2009, 05:45 PM
i agree with you malice. its pretty ridiculous whenever a third person shooter of some sort comes out that people always seem to say that its ripping off gears of war in some sort of way.

machonach0
06-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Gears sucks.

ISuckBadly
06-20-2009, 08:13 PM
This game is so much fun, I don't know how anyone could not like it. I will be playing this for a long time!

TrishTheDish
06-20-2009, 09:12 PM
Why? Cause you can sprint and the camera shakes behind you? That is the only thing that is even like Gears. Everything else is pretty much origional to games.

And the GAME may not be excellent at anything, but it was excellent to the fans. They took the material and made a solid game out of it. Not GOTY by any means, but it is fun, and the gameplay is actually good. BTW, 95% of games are repetitive, it is just a matter of how much YOU think it is. Gears... run to cover, shoot, run to cover shoot, throw grenade, run to cover shoot....
No, I'm talking the Emergence Holes and the Wretches. Seriously, I swear to God they just copy-pasted the Wretch file from Gears for the Marshmallow Minis.

I judge all licensed games by if they took out the license, would the game be any good at all? Ghostbusters I'm gonna say not so much, the nostalgia factor MAKES this game. Like everyone said, this game is for the fans and not much else.

blitz7287
06-20-2009, 09:55 PM
The guy obviously has no taste lol, i've played through story mode and loved every minute of it. of course there was a couple of times i got annoyed at it. but it still didnt change my opinion. haven't had time to check the online out yet but from what people are saying its awesome online.

Midnight Malice
06-20-2009, 10:14 PM
No, I'm talking the Emergence Holes and the Wretches. Seriously, I swear to God they just copy-pasted the Wretch file from Gears for the Marshmallow Minis.

I judge all licensed games by if they took out the license, would the game be any good at all? Ghostbusters I'm gonna say not so much, the nostalgia factor MAKES this game. Like everyone said, this game is for the fans and not much else.

The marshmallow mini's wretches? hmm, thats a stretch. BTW, one small part of a game that even remotly resembles another doesn't mean it was copied. How come everyone has to compare it to Gears, Gears wan't even that good. The graphics were beautiful, and the multiplayer was fun, for about a half hour. But I like having a mind of my own. I play games I like, and not what game companies tell me to play. Those would be Gears, Halo, and CoD. Yes, I have played all of them, but I haven't put more than 50 hours into all 3 of them combined.

But I do agree with you on the second point, if it wasn't Ghostbusters I would have passed, but if it wasn't Ghostbusters, the voice acting would be crap, the story would probably make no sence, and most people wouldn't have even given it a chance. It has Ghostbuster stamped all throughout the gameplay, it would be pretty hard to say "if it didn't have the license" it isn't just a random title with Ghostbusters on the cover, it is the epitomy of the material.

leburn98
06-21-2009, 02:51 AM
When I say excellent singleplayer experience, I am talking in context to what makes Ghostbusters, Ghostbusters. This game hit the nail on the head throughtout. I can say without a doubt that this game and Riddick are the only two movie license games that nailed their respective franchises (yes, Goldeneye was great, but it was just a shooter that didn't really make you feel like Bond IMO).

To your point about Gears of War similarities, what game doesn't borrow elements from other games? Afterall Gears took the basis of gameplay from KillShot (even CliffyB admits this). The universe is nothing new, feels like it came right out of the Unreal universe. Still doesn't make it a bad game, but all games borrow things that work.

And finally, my point of the post was not to try to make my opinion fact or that nobody should try GB without prior knowledge. I have a few friends on my list who think its a decent game who don't know a thing about GB. I have played plenty of games from franchise I overall didn't like such as Resident Evil (mostly due to the static camera and piss poor controls off previous installments) and the biggest surprise 50 Cent: Blood on the Sand (his music, if you can call it that is blah, but the game was very fun).

The point was this guy hardly scratched the service of this game, as was proven by his gamerscore (I have to admit this is one of the advantages of gamerscore). If I used his logic there would have been plenty of great games I would have thrown to the dogs due to my initial impressions. Gears of War, Mass Effect, and Saints Row 2 were all games that I initially was not impressed with but gave them a chance and thoroughly enjoyed them as I continued to play.

hestar
06-21-2009, 02:56 AM

I agree 100%.I loved the game,though some parts made me wanna break stuff on professional :mad:.

Btw,I love this game even more cause it's the game that got me from 49 something to over 50k :P.

leburn98
06-21-2009, 03:13 AM
I agree 100%.I loved the game,though some parts made me wanna break stuff on professional :mad:.

Btw,I love this game even more cause it's the game that got me from 49 something to over 50k :P.

I have yet to play on Professional so this is not encouraging :). I think I will leave that for last. Congrats on 50K, I hope to join that group soon.

Soundwave77
06-21-2009, 02:07 PM
man this game is pretty much what every ghostbuster fan has been dreamin of since the NES and SEGA days. this is what all of us who ended up buying the toys as a kid wanted. i love every part of the game, not cuz of the gameplay it self(which helps a lil) but for the stroll through memory lane about the guys and wondering what it would be like to be a GHOSTBUSTER. but point of the matter this is came out MOSTLY FOR THE FANS!

hestar
06-21-2009, 03:54 PM
I have yet to play on Professional so this is not encouraging :). I think I will leave that for last. Congrats on 50K, I hope to join that group soon.

Thanks and you'll be in the 50k club soon :drunk.Yeah,some parts were a lil' frustrating but the last boss was super easy.

Bass Slapper94
06-21-2009, 11:19 PM
I love the Ghostbusters movies and that's why I rented this. My first time using Gamefly so I chose Ghostbusters. I may only be 14 and many think,"How can you be a GB fan at 14." Well, we, as a family, watched so many movies especially the GB movies and I just loved the movies. I still remember those times and my most recent time watching GB was about 2 months ago so I mean, I think anybody at any age can be a GB fan.(which I know isn't the point of this thread). And I still remember borrowing my brothers little toys and playing the original games on SEGA.

Good times...

Elektrohazard
06-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Gears sucks.

Finally someone agrees.

Cla55y
06-22-2009, 09:04 AM
Ive yet to play this game but im fed up of people saying everything is ripping off gears because it has 3rd person view and a cover system. :mad: newsflash, Gears wasnt the first game with those things! just because it is "amazing" doesnt mean every other game is trying to rip it off. Why would anyone want to copy a crappy game like gears anyway? im pretty sure ghostbusters has been in production longer anyway. (i could be mistaken but it has been a long time)

Senate4242
06-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Excellent single player experience? Did we play the same game here? Between the horrid level design, braindead AI, repetitive gameplay tasks, and flat out Gears Of War ripoffs I'm not sure I'd call this an excellent anything.

Even the story, written by Akroyid and Ramis, wasn't that funny. Don't get me wrong, there were some great parts (mostly Vigo's lines) but overall this was such a disappointment from two guys who had freaking TWENTY FIVE years to work on it.

And it's quite possible to play a game if you're not a fan of the source material. People might be... oh, I don't know, CURIOUS about something? I think that might be a key reason video game rentals exsit. I hated Red Faction 1 and 2, and yet I'm loving the new one.

Although I will give you 100gs isn't much of the game, but after you've done the Museum level you've pretty much seen it all and the rest just drags on seemingly endlessly.

Sorry you didn't enjoy the game. This game was meant to be fan service and being a fan I felt it delivered. A decent movie game is a rare thing.

Its not a game I see myself playing years for now, but I felt it was well worth the price and quite enjoyable.

KrAzY LuSo88
06-22-2009, 06:04 PM
i thought this game was awesome,except for the glitches.....the storyline was interesting...the only thing that looks like gears is when you run....that's all....